*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:32:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Favorite Authors?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favorite Authors?  (Read 2864 times)
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« on: March 23, 2004, 11:24:56 am »

I'm tired. Up late working on an adaption from a Harlan Coben novel for the production company I work for, and I was wondering: what's everyone's favorite authors?

A few of mine, in no order, are:

Harry Turtledove (Guns of the South, and hordes of alt history)
Kim Stanley Robinson (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars)
Frank Herbery (Dune)
Charles Dickens (duh)

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:34:39 am »

Hehe, so Sci-fi eh? Not my thing, but:

Terry Pratchet(discworld)
Robin Hobb(farseer trilogy, tawny man trilogy)
Raymond Feist(a lot about Pug Wink)

Good authors I can reccomend.
(That is if you are into fantasy)

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:36:14 am »

Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Bill Brewster & Frank Broughton

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 12:13:36 pm »

Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials Trillogy) is one of the best writers around. His dark materials trilogy is simply stunning, and does the amazing feat of both being addictive to adults and children alike. Its pure story telling in a awsome form.

Ursula Le Guin is another stunnin authoer. Among others such as Terry Pratchet, Annie E Proulx, Ben Okri,  Rosamery Sutcliffe, and Terry pratchet.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 12:36:54 pm »

Heh, now this is a topic I can sink my teeth into.

I'm with Six on Kim Stanley Robinson and Frank Herbert. The Mars books are awe-inspiring, for the hard science as well as their scope and believability. The Dune series is hardly science fiction at all; other than being set in the distant future, there are scarcely any traditional science fiction trappings. Herbert wields dialogue masterfully. When I finish a Dune book, for weeks afterwards I have a heightened awareness of and grasp of the meanings within meanings of everything people say.

Robert A. Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
John Varley (Persistence of Vision, Steel Beach, Demon, Millenium)
Isaac Asimov (walk into a library and point)
Ray Bradbury (The Machineries of Joy, I Sing the Body Electric, The Illustrated Man)
Esther Friesner (Gnome Man's Land, Harpy High, Unicorn U)
Robert L. Forward (Dragon's Egg, The Flight of the Dragonfly, Camelot 30K)
Larry Niven (Ringworld series, Known Space series, and a slew of others, all good)
Jhonen Vasquez (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac)
Terry Pratchett (Discworld series)
Neil Gaiman (Good Omens)
Mark Twain (A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, The Mysterious Stranger, Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven, anything else he's written)
Simon Singh (The Code Book)
Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, Zodiac)
J. R. R. Tolkien (as though I need to say it)
Hayao Miyazaki (Nausica? of the Valley of Wind)
Carl Sagan (Contact)
Poul Anderson (Polesotechnic League series)
Barbara Hambly (The Silent Tower, The Silicon Mage, Darwath trilogy)
Harlan Ellison (Angry Candy, many others)
Melanie Rawn (Dragon Prince trilogy, Dragon Star trilogy)
Jorge Luis Borges ("Tl?n, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius")

That's all I can think of without going through my books to remind me of others.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 02:14:59 pm »

Hey.....reading the list and I see you fail to mention Terry Pratchett as the co-author of good omens. And btw, did I mention Terry Pratchett in my list of great authors? Well...I would like to say that Terry Pratchett is a great writer.

:MoD: brutha......

a.k.a. BROTHER BRUTHA

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 02:35:54 pm »

Yeah, I actually left out several co-authors, in the interest of focusing on one favorite and keeping the list as clear as possible. Also, in most cases I couldn't remember the co-author's name. : D

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 03:12:03 pm »

Good omens is sitting on my shelf and tells me it was written by Neil Gaiman and terry pratchet. And its a bloody good book ( i love the two angels!)

BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 04:40:04 pm »

Dale Brown, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, John Grisham, Jeffrey Archer, and Robert Ludlum.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 06:24:25 pm »

You had to be a Ludlum fan, I would have won money from that bet GS.

Fan of many mentioned like Clancy, Heiniein, and Herbert.  Also a big fan of the Sharp's series by Bernard Cromwell (good if you are into the Napoleoniac wars at all).  Joel Roesnburg's "Not for Glory" and "Hero" for some futuristic military stuff (if you are an anti-semite, don't bother reading him).  Stephen Coonts has a couple follow ups to flight of the intruder that were pretty good.  Yes, I read Ludlum too, and his first books were very good.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 06:50:15 pm »

I forgot one, don't know if you'll count this as its more playright than aughter but... if there are any Shakespear fans out there (if not why not!) and you havn't heard of Tom Stoppard then go and find a copy of "rosencrantz and guildenstien are dead" - The alternative version to Hamlet... Its is simply brilliant - and the film version ain't half bad as well!

(the bits with the discoveries... physics, gravity, the burger etc.lol!)

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 07:31:21 pm »

Yep, I'm a big fan of Shakespear's plays.

I'm also a big fan of Dumas.  The Count of Monte Cristo is a great book.  And like most great books, if you think the seeing the movie was even close, you have no grip on reality.  Cheesy

Speaking of classics, if you haven't read Twain, I also suggest him.  He was a great storyteller.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

th.Sentinel

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 08:05:42 pm »

Michael Crichton (Congo, Jurassic Parc, The lost world, Timeline, ...)
J.R.R. Tolkien (Lords of the rings, Silmarillion, ...)

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 09:39:15 pm »

The count of Monte Cristo.... cor. yes definatly. I can happily say i have never seen the film, however i did see a pretty fantastic TV feature series which i must say was very well done.

I'd have to disagree with J.R.R Tolkien.. People might shout at me but i don't think the book is actually that well written - i love the idea and the concepts of the story, but so mcuh of it can be found in other material, and actually the way Tolkien writes can be so bloody longwinded and frustrating.. I've found a lot of people just pick this now becasue of the film (not saying you did sent) and regarding the Trillogy of films i think it is another matter - the story telling is so much better and the films are simply fantastic! (although i would debate the quality of the ending!)

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 09:45:39 pm »

For Tolkien, what makes him great is that yes, with all that detail he laid the groundwork for most other works in the genre.  He pretty much invented the genre.

Face it, books like the Shanara series are nothing but copies of the Lord of the Rings.  And most authors will say that he was part of their inspiration.

And after all that, yeah, he's a great author, but I don't enjoy reading him as much as most.  He reminded me of Moby Dick or even Ivanhoe, two great stories, but overwritten for my personal taste.

cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 09:58:36 pm »

Tom Clancy - Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, The Bear and the  Dragon, Without Remorse

Clive Cussler - Atlantis Found,  Valhala Rising

Phillip Pullman - His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass)

J.R.R Tolkien - The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Jon Krakauer - Into Thin Air

I know there are more authors I just can't think of them so ill post again later when i remember.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 11:57:47 pm »

Heh, I've tried reading Lord of the Rings about ten times over my life, and I never enjoyed it the least little bit until this most recent attempt. This time, I'm enjoying the style of speech he gives his characters and his mode of description. It's a bit of work to read, but I do like reading people actually using the language, which modern speech patterns do not.

Mark Twain and Harlan Ellison are my heroes. They are both highly intelligent and overflowing with sarcasm and cynicism. There was a collection of Twain's stories that he instructed his executor to publish posthumously, but the executor considered them so inflammatory that he went against Twain's wishes. The stories were finally published in the late 1970s(!) in an anthology titled "Letters from the Earth". It's easily my favorite of his writings, and worth a look if you're not a militant right-wing conservative religious zealot.

cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 12:06:19 am »

a.k.a GhostSniper

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 02:07:21 am »

Yes, thank you, O master of subtle wit.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 02:37:03 am »

Tom Clancy- First book of his I read was, obviously, Rainbow Six. Then I went on to the opcenter series, then Without Remorse, then NetForce series, then Red storm rising, then debt of honor. Overall fav author.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads