*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:16:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ATI RADEON 9800 PRO , 4X AGP, 128 RAM - RETAIL  (Read 1089 times)
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« on: January 21, 2004, 12:56:07 pm »

Hey Guys,

I think of buying a new Graficscard for the G5,

I was thinking of the Card mentioned in the Subject. So I wanted to know if this cars will work with the G5??

Or have I wait for the ATI 9800PRO MAC Special Edition with 256 MB RAM, and AGPx8.

Anyone knows? Will the card in the subject work in the G5? It is the standard card avaible in Stores for Macs - not the builed in option.

veni, vidi, vici
#SKUL Mr. President (Founder & Leader)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 01:24:23 pm »

Are you talking about the 'pc card'? or the mac edition. Why not gof ro the special addition though? dont' you fancy 256megs of DDR?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 03:05:58 pm »

The 9800 Pro Mac Retail version will work fine in your G5 Holo. It just only offers you a 4*AGP bus speed but as tests have shown no game yet makes use of the 8*AGP bus speed.

And for the 256MB RAM version. It has only more and a slightly faster RAM, supports full 8*AGP speed but it has the same Core speed as the 128MB Mac Edition. Price will be around 460Euro(Verflucht viel...)

I think price and product availability will decide.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 08:35:13 pm »

Yea Mauti, thx for help.

I know about the AGP 8 fake - AGP 4 is still enough.

The 256M RAM arnt worth it to pay.

So i will get the 9800 PRO 4x AGP , when I have enough money.

THX for HELP EVRYONE

veni, vidi, vici
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 10:24:21 pm »

Holo, rumors say that ATI is coming out with a new mid powered card for retail on the Mac.  If you aren't going whole hog for the top of the line and future use, you may as well go for a much cheaper card that runs todays games fine.

My philosophy is, High end or economy.  Getting the second best card is often where you'll get screwed in value.

Think about it.  From what I've seen, the 8x 256MB card is going to run $499, while the 4x 128MB card runs $399.  If the new card is what they say (basically a retail version of the 9600 that PC users love for games right now, except for the Mac) it will probably come in at $150 or so.  (all prices in USD).  If you are going to pay that premium for the 9800 Pro, may as well pay the extra $100 and get the card that you will be able to get much more use out of.  This is assuming that they don't drop the price drastically, which I doubt they'll do.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 06:41:10 pm »

If I would find any Radeon 9600 Pro for mac I would take this. But i didnt - I have one in my PC and it is really good. But nothing comparable for the mac yet. But i can also wait a few weeks longer.

PS: U wont get more out of the 256 MB RAM version - maybe 3 or 4 FPS more lol - thats not worth it to pay 100 USD more.

The good thing on the 128 RAM version is that it has DVI + VGA and Video out.
I need the Video out more then then ADC. And I could use my old 17" CRT as a second monitor, too ( VGA ). The Special Editon only has ADC and DVI.
Sure it was designed for G5, but is it really worth it, I dont thinks so. Would I have enough money, I would get one. But I dont have, yet.

So when any ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Retail comes out - I will be happy. untill there is no I will save the money for the 9800 Pro Retail ( 4X AGP ).

veni, vidi, vici
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads