*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:40:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Cocobolo Mods (Moderators: Cobra6, Cocobolo)
| | |-+  VIRUS ALERT!!! ST6 MOD!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VIRUS ALERT!!! ST6 MOD!!!  (Read 5357 times)
Akira_Au
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2001, 06:44:32 pm »

Yeah, i was afraid to add a lot of textures to a large map - it was goona lag like something severe so we haad 2 balance between playability and looks. Same reason why the hills and slopes arent more curved or bumpy. This would have added a whole heap of polygons to the map which we couldnt afford. Hopefully it'll play well, u should try underwater sniping against someone sniping up the hill...its pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1029654000 » Logged
MouseBorg
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2001, 11:00:23 am »

"i've been reading about code red and i find it impossible or at least very unlikely you've been hit by it, as it only affects NT and 2000, not ME. i've got ME and i dont think i've gut it (GULP Shocked)"

Hiyas,

Always keep in mind, where a virus is concerned, that a person having the source code can modify that source to not only change the bugs behavior, but also slide it right past a bug catcher. This is refered to as a different strain of the virus.

Bug catchers work, in general, by comparing internal patterns in a given file to their own list of such 'signatures'. If there is no match, then its not a bug, as far as the bug catcher is concerned (there are exceptions of course for bug catchers that also monitor a files activity.)

With the bug source code, its simple to change this signature. This can even be done via a reverse compile (disassembly), modification, and recompile of a given bug.

So the bug catcher is only as good as its 'signature', or definition list. Its important to keep that as current as possible.

However, proper caution and common sense are always ones best method of avoiding such things, which can sometimes be disastarous. Most of these recent critters are transmitted via email as attachments.

Prevention is simple and obvious. Don't 'run' said attachment. Even if it appears sent by a friend. The friend may also be affected and most bugs are born pregnant and transparently send themselves to others without the infected person even knowing.

If a file is suspicious, and doesn't trigger ur bug catcher, it could still be a bug. The only way to know is either run it (real bad idea), wait for an update to ur bug definition table (hard to tell when that may happen, tho usually its pretty fast), or by manually ripping the thing apart and seeing how it works. I normally use the last method, as its fun and very educational.

If uncomfortable playin with bugs, consult someone who is. Its actually quite safe once one knows which end the 'stinger' is on, especially if you pull their little legs & wings off first. Smiley
Ghost

MY OTHER CAR IS A HK PSG1

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2001, 09:51:36 pm »

I've been getting a .doc.bat file in several email accounts (earthlink, hotmail) that has a different subject line every time, but the message reads as follows:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

We recieved the file from relatives, business associates, etc. etc.
Subject lines include "your invited 2 a pool party", "747 fuel lines", "new .45 auto". My dad buys and sells airplanes and airplane parts, so he almost opened the "747" one. That went to his email account, but the .45 and pool party ones went to mine. I put the file on my old Pentium 133 and it wiped the hard drive like it was a mixture of bleach and sulfuric acid.

Does anyone know any more about this file?

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." - Shane Falco, aka Keanu Reeves, in The Replacements
ViX

Confectionary Girl!

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2001, 10:47:24 pm »

yessiree.. i get em all the time.

http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/sircam/default.asp?cid=2360

-=ViX=-

You Have Been ELiTeD
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2001, 03:51:53 am »

Yep I got 6 of them and once I put one on my Virtual PC to open it because I thought someone needs modhelp, lol. That caused my Windows ME total wipe out. DAmn thing. However I opened it and it was an italian letter. VEry strange thing!!!

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Ghost

MY OTHER CAR IS A HK PSG1

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2001, 09:59:40 am »

Thanks.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever." - Shane Falco, aka Keanu Reeves, in The Replacements
ViX

Confectionary Girl!

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2001, 06:36:52 pm »

waaaaaahhh my server is down.. so i have to come bother you guys. maybe i can post all the news here.. hehe

Grin

-=ViX=-

You Have Been ELiTeD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads