*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:33:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IT, increased frame rates w/ aif sound changes?  (Read 3300 times)
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

How does it feel to be DONKEY PUNCHED?

« on: August 05, 2003, 03:58:56 pm »

call me crazy but  i think i got increased fps by changing wave sound files to aif formate. not alot maybe 5 fps. but that help when i was running 8fps on some boards, now i run 13fps, which is managible. am i crazy or could it be the truth.
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 05:32:20 pm »

In Ghost Recon? Just Island Thunder?

How did you do this?

[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 05:39:02 pm »

just in island thunder games. download sound app, think you can find it on this site. make a play list, click and drag all sound files in IT sound folder. convert to aiff format. replace .
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 08:48:18 am »

An easier way is to download SoundConverter from VersionTracker. It's a tiny app that just mass-converts sound files to other formats. Open up the sound folder, select all, deselect the effects.xml file (SoundConverter chokes if it hits a file it can't handle), then drag everything onto SoundConverter with it set to "convert to AIFF". A minute or so later, it'll be done. Then just delete the original wav sound files, and you're set.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Forum Whore

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 12:15:32 pm »

If this works for IT why wouldnt it work for the whole game?

Or have you not just tried?

btw...wich takes up more room aiff or wav?

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 02:47:03 pm »

In origmiss and  mp1 (standard GhR and Desert Siege, FYI), the sound files were converted during porting. It's already taken care of. In mp2, obviously, they were not. The Mac version of GhR can play WAVs or AIFFs just fine, but WAVs sometimes cause wonky things to happen with the sound. The infamous "incredibly fucking loud ocean" in the Mac version of Island Thunder was because the ocean sound was a WAV. I have no clue whether converting the sounds to AIFF format will actually speed up the game, but it could be. I know that it will definitely prevent weird sound glitches from happening.

The sounds used by GhR are uncompressed, so they should be the same size in either format.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 03:12:37 pm »

i have been playing more IT since i converted the sound files and i swear the came has sped up a bit. im not saying alot but when your running a board at only 8fps and then you get 5 more fps, it helps.
Captain Snorp

New, me? No, I just suck.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 10:10:08 pm »

I don't think you're crazy, Meatwagon--

I just spent an hour doing the conversion (for some reason I had to change them all to mp3's in itunes first, then change the mp3's to .aiff with MACAST's mp3 converter, the other methods didn't seem to want to work right)

Lothario, using Soundconverter resulted in stuff suffixed .wav.cvt -- wasn't sure if that would be recog'd as .aiff, so I did it the hard way.

IT has gone from unplayable to perfectly fine for me.

My PC friends will be very pleased, they're always dying to play IT maps and I couldn't before now -- excellent discovery.

-CS
BTs_ST u RM[SER]
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 03:49:31 am »

guys,

its a hell of a lot easier to download the converted IT sound files.  I did, and as soon as I find the link,  I'll post it for you,

BTs_ST u RM Roll Eyes
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 07:23:12 am »

SoundConverter has to be set to output AIFF files. It can convert to several formats. I'd bet that you had it set to some other format, and that's why it was coming out wonky. FYI, SoundConverter has always been very fast for me (733 G4, 768 RAM). I average less than three or four minutes to convert a large folder of WAV files from a mod.

Captain Snorp

New, me? No, I just suck.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 11:02:44 pm »

Looking through the Soundconverter prefs, noticed in the "Names" section, the opportunity to rename the .cvt to whatever suffix you prefer -- so it's very possible they were in fact .aiff files already, just lacking the reassuring suffix.

-CS
[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 02:07:08 am »

like mr loth.. said you have to set under convert..in file format...select aiff format, and in prefrences in the convert icon..check append suffix... then its as easy as one , two, three..
Forum Whore

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 07:57:56 am »

Sound converter says i cant convert files that are over 500kb  Angry

What app did you use meat?

edit: i have un registered soundconverter and that dosent allow to convert files bigger than 500kb, and im not gona register it to increase framerates on a mod i rarely play anyway. So whats the easiest (free) way to get this done??

« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 02:40:01 pm by JokaKutiHuti / ViRuS » Logged

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 01:15:51 pm »

I dunno what SoundConverter you guys are using. In the SoundConverter I have, the entire program consists of a single window with a "drop sound here to convert" pane and a single popup menu containing various sound formats to convert to. No preferences, no file extension settings, nothing.

Forum Whore

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 04:22:32 pm »

Just thought id made this a new post so it would show up as a new post and thus attract more ppl to answer it  Smiley

I have un registered soundconverter and that dosent allow to convert files bigger than 500kb, and im not gona register it to increase framerates on a mod i rarely play anyway. So whats the easiest (free) way to get this done??

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2003, 12:37:40 am »

Ah, I see what's going on. The version I have is old, and is freeware, and is simple. Version 0.9 If that doesn't come up correctly, version 0.9 is the one you want.

Forum Whore

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2003, 11:45:14 am »

merde...

Loth, tried your link but I Still cant transform files that are over 500kb...

Any ideas how to get this done?

[TRIBE]Meatwagon

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2003, 03:30:54 pm »

i used SoundApp Fat. i got it on this site somewhere on a forum maybe.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2003, 10:52:20 am »

Joka, are you sure you downloaded version 0.9?

BTs_Ch A oS

Die!! Die!!

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2003, 11:57:08 am »

Joka,

as per a prior post of yours:

The sound files for the standard GhR are already in .aiff format.

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2003, 02:35:25 am by BTs_ST u RM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads