*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 08:10:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Netfone and Ghost Recon
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Netfone and Ghost Recon  (Read 1508 times)
Corporal Koppi
« on: June 15, 2003, 09:59:04 pm »

My friends and I intend to try Netfone (www.haxialsoftware.com) for voice communication during Ghost Recon Games. We're all on cable modem, so we're hoping for decent results.

Is there anyne here who has used Netfone within Ghost Recon?

Is there any particular process required to use the two apps together? I'm assuming if I launch Netfone, make connections to other players, then launch Ghost Recon that Netfone will still function while Ghost Recon is running.

We're using a mix of PCs and Macs. Would anyone suggest using voice transmission software other than Netfone for voice communication in Ghost Recon?

Thanks, Ghost Recon wouldn't be my favorite game without *DAMN!
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 10:41:50 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Mac and PC versions of NetFone are not compatible. The only program that works between Macs and PCs, that I'm aware of, is Roger Wilco. RW is pretty buggy and I don't think there's an OSX version.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
corporal Koppi
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 10:52:00 pm »

I've tested Netfone between a Mac and a PC and the application works very well.

What I'm more concerned with is using it in conjuction with Ghost Recon. I haven't used voice communication software before. Is there any special consideration for using voice apps (Netfone, Roger Wilco, etc.) within Ghost Recon?

Will Ghost Recon simply allow a voice application to run in the background, without hogging the sound or interntet ports?

Thanks!
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 12:43:57 am »

The two run together well. Doesn't even slow the game down much, either.

No purchase necessary. Details inside.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 12:45:51 am »

Yep, they work just fine together. Just make sure you balance out your sounds in Ghost Recon so you can hear your friends voices.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 08:49:23 am »

The only caveat is that Ghost Recon is a bandwidth hog. You'll want to set NetFone to the lowest sample rate (5512 Hz) so that it requires the least bandwidth for transmission (2.7KB/sec/connection). I advise the use of a latency setting no lower than 250, and preferably 500. When playing Ghost Recon and using NF, NF starts dropping packets, even on good connections. A 250-500ms latency will combat that, and should keep everyone's voices coming through smoothly.

Keep an eye on www.teamspeak.org. They are makers of the free VoIP program TeamSpeak (what a coincidence). TS is specifically targeted at gamers, and is very bandwidth-friendly and low-latency (you hear people quickly). They are going to be developing an OS X version once they've finalized the next major release of the Windows and Linux clients. So, sooner or later, there will be something better than NF. For now, NF is the best choice for Macs.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 01:44:31 pm »

TS is great. I use it for PC and RvS. great voice quallity, low bandwith

veni, vidi, vici
#SKUL Mr. President (Founder & Leader)
x1|sixshooter

like shooting Noobs in a garage!

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 12:28:53 am »

Until then NF will serve you fine, if you keep latency and rate down to a minimum, you should be able to have a cb without any lag. The only problem ive had with it, is not lag in GHR but lag on netphone, where there will be a minute difference from me to reciever and back again. This fortunately only happens when ytalking to people with 56 k modems, coz NF was specifically made for DSL or higher.... therefor you should be fine. Tongue

It's gonna hurt less than a date with David Hasselhoff... i promise :p
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 03:53:12 am »

Keeping latency to a minimum is a mistake. In NetFone, "latency" refers to the amount of time between when the speaker speaks and the receiver hears. As the sender sets his latency higher, the receiving client will hold on to packets for that long before playing the audio contained in them. A higher latency setting, therefore, gives the receiving client more time to ask for new copies of dropped packets, which results in less skipping or dropping out of the audio. It also, of course, results in a delay between transmission and reception. 250ms-500ms latency is a good compromise. Any broadband connection can transmit with no dropped packets with a 500ms latency, and the delay is only half a second. 250ms is useable by some connections, and is especially useable if you are not connected to many people, and reduces the delay to only a quarter of a second, which is nearly imperceptible.

I keep my latency on 500ms all the time, and I've never had a problem with either dropped packets or with the half-second delay.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Tim Leary:SOG

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 05:52:27 pm »

iChat a/v works good for Mac users btw as a "teamspeak" application Shocked
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 05:53:39 pm by =F= Tim Leary » Logged
*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2003, 12:37:06 pm »

there's another VoIP app we should keep an eye on: Ventrilo. It's currently in development for OS X, Windows and other *nix flavours. The Server's already out for OS X.

Elandrion

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2003, 11:03:25 am »

After this thread was resurrected, I realized that I hadn't checked on the development of TeamSpeak for OS X in some time, so I did so.

I checked their forums, where the developers post the latest news, and found a thread containing a single post from a "Stephen P. Jobs", saying that he'd had extensive discussions with the TeamSpeak developers, and finally they'd decided not to port TeamSpeak to OS X after all. My first thought was that it was a fake, but it was several days old, right at the top of the forum, and hadn't been deleted by their very active mods. Therefore, I think it's true.

So, fuck them in the asshole with a big rubber dick, then break it off and beat them to death with it. Looks like we'll have to keep making do with NF.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads