*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:21:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!)
| | |-+  *DAMN Mod Section (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, jn.loudnotes, Toby, Casper, BFG)
| | | |-+  Revelation?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Revelation?  (Read 1495 times)
TheoRetiKule

Mountains rock

« on: September 20, 2004, 12:53:34 pm »

Maybe you'll all say "D'oh!!!" to this.  But I didn't know before I asked, so I'll risk the public opprobrium...

Wink

Thanks to Mauti's technical wizardry, I'm able to run IT on my old steampowered G4 laptop... I've been d/ling map mods via this site too, and occasionally frequenting the forums here and over at ghostrecon.net.

End of last week, I had a chat to migryder about his new much-praised "Pressure" mod, just on the off-chance it'd work on a Mac, somehow, somewhere.  

He very kindly sent me the files, I d'ld another couple, and now I think I'm ready to rumble on "Pressure", "Knight Fork" and "Africa Burning".  All seem OK on the Mac so far (well, the system can see them at least, so we're halfway there).

So, did other forum members know that *some* mission mods at least seem like they're cross-platform?

Thanks to all - love the GR community...

Theo
Revelaton 3:16
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 07:09:22 am »

Is this directed to me?
TheoRetiKule

Mountains rock

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 04:25:32 pm »

Errm, no - not specifically - or did you trademark a relatively common item of English vocabulary?

Wink

No, seriously, it's just something I noticed that I thought should be more widely known.  Or maybe I just drew the wrong conclusion from Mauti's segregation of Mac and PC mission mods on the d/l pages?

Whatever... seems good news to me!

Theo
Vir2L:SOG

More than meets the eye.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 08:17:39 pm »

Alot of MODs work cross platform, it all really depends on the filename length, and if the textures are compatable with Macintosh.  MOD makers are learning to package and make MOD's to suit our needs more and more nowadays because of people like us that frequent Gr.net modding forums and/or notify MOD authors of our dilema.  Most of them are quite nice and welcome idea's to help cater us.

Most serverside MODs (clients dont need them for MP) can play on PC and Mac without many conversion issues.  Infact Pressure & Knight Fork can be played as serverside files by just placing the .mis files in your OrigMiss/Mission folder instead of activating them in the MOD's list.

It's the Expansions/Full Conversion/Weapons Mods MOD's for Ghost Recon that take some time on our ends to convert audio, change file names, etc. so the Mac public can actually play them. Some conversions take a lot of time to get them to play 100% on a Mac.  Thank God there are a few of us out here(Mauti and the people at macgamingmods.com) that are dedicated and take the time to do this, or some of the greatest MOD's out there would never see the light of day on a Mac.  But like i said MOD makers are being made aware of our problem and are catering to our needs more and more.

*edited for grammer and typo's
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 12:58:22 am by Vir2L:SOG » Logged

Vir2L
Special Operations Group
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cow bell!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads