*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:02:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: XBOX dumps Intel, IBM dumps Apple - Two rejects unite?  (Read 11201 times)
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 11:12:48 pm »

they for sure will! Cheesy it's like the best from both worlds coming together... Apple's great OS and computer structure and Intel's CPU and speed. it'll eat any IBM-Mac or Intel-PC for breakfast, can't wait.

check this out btw:

Game Developers React To Intel Switch

clapping hands

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 11:37:20 pm »

I don't believe the doom-sayers. People will bring a broader appeal to OSX as a whole. If apple releases a version for "any PC" we will see apple take off like never before. Steve has taken risks before, but I'm in favour of this one, IBM is a big blue giant that won't commit to anything Apple these days. the best apple could do in 8 months was over-clock a dual 2.5 which delivered LESS performance. Go Intel.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Civrock

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 01:18:39 am »

a version of MacOSX for any PC is not going to happen.

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 03:50:00 am »

LMAO. Did anyone see the specs on the Machines that they gave out to a limited amount of developers?

Mac G5's with intel chips running at 3.6ghz at a price of $999.00.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
DarK.
God bless the freaks

Forum's Evil Side

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 04:52:31 am »

If this comes out soon Im going to be kicking myself because of my new purchase...

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 05:05:10 am »

They will start introducing intel chips in some computers soon but it will be a 2 year transition period.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 06:08:51 am »

The first computers are going to be announced at MWSF in January o6, and as steve said, they will be shipping and on store-shelves before next WWDC. I believe there's the misconception here that the processor change itself in NEW macs will probably only be one year. Apple also takes into account the shift of developers to the universal binary system.

I don't know why but a PowerMac with a Intel chips sounds appealing to replace this G5 in 07.

BTW, to all that watched the keynote stream, DAMN, those guys/gals were all drunk or something (the company reps). It was a funny show in many ways.

(The whole keynote was done using a 3.6 P4 - including all mac/tiger demos)

I would call it a safe bet to say that Leopard will be the last Intel/PPC version of OSX. Let's hope it goes out with a boom... in a good way.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2005, 03:33:52 pm »

I still don't know what the heck to think about the move... I was a massive fan of IBM and the PPC chips, and i thought there was a lot more milage there, and im guessing hoping we will still see the new G5's hitting the 3Ghz and Duel core chips, but there are a couple of things worth asking re the intel chips...

Apple has been blowing the 64bit horn for a while now with the G5's, and i hope it goes without saying that these intel chips will be 64bit standard?!
MP Machines? Most of us rely on having DP systems for work so surely apple is going to stick with this, how well do intels processors work in MP configurations be it duel or quad?
What is the roadmap for the Intel chips, what speeds are we looking at, what mm process are they? in terms of pipline lengh how great do the Intel chips differ?
Why am i asking so many questions and does anyone know where i can find the answers?!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 09:18:16 pm »

How thorughly have you watched the keynote BFG. All but 64bit and MP are covered. Did you see how snappy the intel machine was? That was very impressive.

John Lennon
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 10:41:17 pm »

How thorughly have you watched the keynote BFG. All but 64bit and MP are covered. Did you see how snappy the intel machine was? That was very impressive.

Yes BFG, if you have a spare 2 hours, watch the keynote. All your questions will be answered there. It was probably the best apple keynote that I have seen. As Mysterio said it was quite funny and the developer of "Mathmatica" was the funniest. You could feel how nervous he was and being so nerdy it was very comical.

I would call it a safe bet to say that Leopard will be the last Intel/PPC version of OSX. Let's hope it goes out with a boom... in a good way.

Why is that? They have been developing Mac osx to run on both Intel and ppc for the past 5 years. It was the "Just in Case" senerio. So I would believe if they would ever go back to ppc they would develop osx to run on both natively.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2005, 10:48:56 pm »

To force the switch voodoo. More moving forward is more sales for apple. Sure, they might continue the OSX developement in that corner building of the complex, but I doubt we'll see any public PPC releases past Leopard.

Secondairy note: For anyone with bit torrent systems, the high quality stream is now avaible as a torrent for DL. (~160MB)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:52:01 pm by Mysterio » Logged

John Lennon
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2005, 11:16:47 pm »

To force the switch voodoo. More moving forward is more sales for apple. Sure, they might continue the OSX developement in that corner building of the complex, but I doubt we'll see any public PPC releases past Leopard.

What are you talking about? Force what?

I know "You doubt you will see any public ppc releases past Leopard", and Im not going to argue any further but...your a mac user, Your suppose to "Think Different". Just look at what has been going on behind our backs for the past 5 years.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 11:21:15 pm »

I didn't argue that they would continue behind our backs with the PPC.

John Lennon
Civrock

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2005, 01:57:50 pm »

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=14643

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2005, 06:21:28 pm »

Looks fake to me. Not pretty enough to be a Mac.

Adult Gamers Alliance
Civrock

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 06:39:37 pm »

the Pentium simply needs much less cooling than the G5, that's why there is so much space left in the G5 enclosure. i expect the Intel-Macs to be smaller than the current G5s and Intel-PowerBooks of course.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 08:24:44 pm »

There is a poster on my wall near the computer... its one of the classic mac adverts - a snail with a intel pentium 2 chip on its back...  I just can't help but wonder if these new intel macs are going to be up to the job, ok ok so apple says they are, and of course who is going to downgrade... but after soaking up all the hype about the G5's etc etc im just still sulking. I blame IBM you lazy buggers why the feck couldn't you pull your fingers out and supply us with the shit?

Civrock

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 08:30:59 pm »

because Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo pay more.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 09:31:27 pm »

For the record, that image was the PC someone put in a G5 case... big stir awhile back.  The Pentium is a superior processor in the forseeable future. IBM has great POWER chips (not PPC) and the most recent top end mac was a step backwards from the 2.5 (see my older post).

I expect to see a slight modification to the look (the shape/grill) due to the reduced size requirements. Then again they may just give you 2 Optical Bays, and 4 SATA ports. Also on the bright side, PCIe will probably finally make it to mac with the intel chips... obvious but fun.

Also, I doubt we will see the low end go Intel first, I think it will go this order:
PowerMac - MWSF (Jan) [Dual core 3.6-4.2GHz]
PowerBook - MWSF (Jan) [Single/dual core 3-3.4 GHz]
iMac - March Update (same time eMac declared EOL'd) [3.2 GHz]
iBook - WWDC [<3GHz]
Mac Mini -WWDC [<3GHz]

[ "-" my guess at the range the top end will fall in]

Until then at AE(Apple Expo - Paris - Sept 05) we should all look forward to the 5G iPod/Leopard.

What more can we look forward to?
• >30in Display with PCIe cards
• HP gaining OSX machines

Fun years ahead.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 10:14:30 pm »

The Pentium is a superior processor in the forseeable future. IBM has great POWER chips (not PPC) and the most recent top end mac was a step backwards from the 2.5 (see my older post).

Its a superior processor in the foreseeable future? Ok according to what Myst? Do you know anything else other than what was said at WWDC because i don't see it... or is this just repeating what was said at the keynote? do you actually know what the road map for the Intel chips are that are coming for the mac? . the G5 processors have been kicking out serious power at much lower clock speeds than the Intel chips - the Pentium 4 chip was basically the Pentium 3 chip but with a shortened pipeline so that they could crank the Mhz up... not wildly impressed.

Now are we going to see a new Mac Specific Chip or are we going to be seeing Pentium 4 chips in a mac? if so im just going straight out to by my G5 and get a good fast machine now.

Question... what is to stop Mac box's duel booting with Windows? What is to stop OSX booting Wintel machines?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads