*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:07:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: XBOX dumps Intel, IBM dumps Apple - Two rejects unite?  (Read 11194 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: June 04, 2005, 04:56:43 am »

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/03/intel.cpus.inside.macs/

CNET reported this story. CNET has never posted a "Rumor" that became false. Imagine the possibility of Mac OSX.5 Running on intel chips able to run OSX and x86 Applications natively.

Apparently, there have been recent tension between Sony-Toshiba-IBM and Apple over PPC rights. Apple apparently had been recently cornered by them.

The end of a era? The end of a Platform? The reclaiming of Majority? Time will tell...

...Tune into WWDC Monday to find out...

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:06:00 am »

I'd be gutted if apple did... especially given what IBM has been up to in R&R ..

eClipz represents the core of IBM's PowerEverywhere strategy, a long-term project designed to deliver a single Power architecture into all of its systems. As first reported in our PowerPC notes late last year, IBM's next-generation Power6 processor and its derivatives will power eClipz sstems. While not specifically part of eClipz, an UltraLite derivative of the processor, P6UL, could very well find its way into Macs, albeit not until 2007 or so when the project is completed. Quasar's "2008 and beyond" timeframe would seem to indicate that the Power6 remains on the track. IBM is currently targeting 6GHz for the first iterations of the Power6, which will be manufactured using a 65nm process.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:08:56 am »

I don't know if Apple is the one making the choice. As people have notices, the PowerPC community is pushing Apple out due to low market size and general unprofitability. Steve did vow he will take back over the computer market before he leaves.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:44:22 am »

God... the last thing I want to have is a mac with an "Intel Inside." That would make me sick.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 11:47:07 am »

God... the last thing I want to have is a mac with an "Intel Inside." That would make me sick.

U and me both snipe, shit i think i would have to buy the hightest spec G5 and then just hold out until apple eventually got rid of the intel chips and went back to some awsome PPC chip Wink

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 06:50:24 pm »

No one has mentioned Apple running on the x86 platform, almost every report said they would create a new custom chip.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 09:09:13 pm »

It would seem pretty  stupid to dump IBM and PPC just as they are finishing work on the new revisions of the G5 and we have Multi core chips moving towards us - everything is set up for future G5s to have some awesome processing power - i don't think im wrong is saying  MP Duel or Quad setups are not out of the question, nor is Duel Multi Core configurations...   What would really be the sudden advantage of uprooting absolutly everything and changing chips?

one 2 lazy
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 09:47:45 pm »

Guys you have to understand, it isn't the hardware that makes Apple an Apple.  Always remember that.  It is the operating system and design elements, it was never "hardware".
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 12:01:39 am »

Yes, one, but it's the hardware that won't work 100% with Mac OS that scares everyone. If they can pull it off and still have elegant hardware mixed with simple, sleek software then I'm all game for it.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 12:35:01 am »

BFG, have you considered that it is the lack of the next generation (level) or dual core chips that is making Apple decide to end the PowerPC - IBM connection? The advantage would be a new custom chip design that allows for a more powerful computer and more reliable chip quantity output. Apple is tired of saying a decent Powerbook is the mother of all thermal challenges. There is also now chip level emulation they could include on these chips to allow PPC + x86 applications to run.

Also to consider is that Intel + Microsoft could be in troublesome times if Longhorn is requiring computers beyond x86 while maintaining a seamless transition.

As IBM is right now, they have no advantage for either company (IBM or Apple) in remaining in such a tight union. This change would finally let Steve remove Motorola from Apple like he removed a phone while conversing with their CEO.

John Lennon
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 02:51:47 am »

DON'T MIND DOUBLE POST Cheesy, or do, but this is important.

UPDATE: A new Wall Street Journal article confirms the transition plan outlined in CNET's report. "An industry executive familiar with the matter, contacted Saturday, verified that schedule."

--macnn.com

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 02:57:23 am »

BFG, have you considered that it is the lack of the next generation (level) or dual core chips that is making Apple decide to end the PowerPC - IBM connection?

As i understand from what i have heard etc, Apple have actually had duel core testing machines delivered from IBM - and look at the hints from the OS that we have seen -  everything is ready for them... im not going to complain if we have to wait 6 more months for them..

t. "An industry executive familiar with the matter, contacted Saturday, verified that schedule."

no... i call bullshit!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 02:59:50 am by BFG » Logged

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 03:27:58 am »

From what you have read? That's of course so much more reliable than primary sources. Intel has dual core chips too BFG, so does AMD for that matter, a number in the OS doesn't lead you to any conclusions. I think everyone would care if if 3GHz was 1.5 years late, probably going to be more like 2 if IBM continues.

John Lennon
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 03:48:51 am »

Again sorry for double posts, but a scary development. In a recent test between dual 2.5 and dual 2.7 powermacs it appears the dual 2.7 got it's ass handed to it. (Same Video Card and RAM)
http://www.barefeats.com/threeway.html
example:

In some tests even the dual 2.0 beats it.

In a computer with a extreme bus it should be loosing any tests. There should be a gradual improvement, not a dramatic loss. Gets you thinking eh? Maybe IBM never delivered any new G5s at all...

John Lennon
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 08:02:48 pm »

And IBM --> Intel: confirmed.

Intel Inside, starting 2006.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 08:05:29 pm by Cobra » Logged

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
Golo

Microsoft (where the queers are)

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 08:33:44 pm »

Welcome to the darkside...

Herhe! Herhe ?
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 08:41:52 pm »

Guess it's time for me to totally stop using computers.  Goodbye cruel world!

Gimme more

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Golo

Microsoft (where the queers are)

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 09:05:38 pm »

http://onebutan.com/Apple_on_x86_FAQ

Herhe! Herhe ?
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 09:06:33 pm »

from http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/06/06/intel.transition/

At Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference today, CEO Steve Jobs announced plans to deliver Macs using Intel microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of Mac OS X running on an Intel-based computer to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address. Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs. During his keynote, Jobs revealed that Mac OS X has been "leading secret double life." Every release of Mac OS X has been built secretly for both Intel and PowerPC-based Macs. For the last 5 years, Mac OS X has been "cross-platform by design."

Jobs explained how the transition will affect developers. Widget, Scripts, and Java will work without modification. Cocoa/Xcode programs will require "a few days" of work, with "tweaks" and a recompile. Carbon Apps will have to be transferred to Xcode. A new version of Xcode, delivered today, generates a single "universal binary" that supports both processors.

Jobs later introduced Wolfram's CEO, who said his company ported Mathematica 5 to Intel-based Macs in 2 hours.

“Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It’s been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel’s technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years.”

“We are thrilled to have the world’s most innovative personal computer company as a customer,” said Paul Otellini, president and CEO of Intel. “Apple helped found the PC industry and throughout the years has been known for fresh ideas and new approaches. We look forward to providing advanced chip technologies, and to collaborating on new initiatives, to help Apple continue to deliver innovative products for years to come.”

“We plan to create future versions of Microsoft Office for the Mac that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Roz Ho, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit. “We have a strong relationship with Apple and will work closely with them to continue our long tradition of making great applications for a great platform.”

“We think this is a really smart move on Apple’s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe. The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for $1000 to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members. Further information for Apple Developer Connection members is available at developer.apple.com. Intel plans to provide industry leading development tools support for Apple later this year, including the Intel C/C++ Compiler for Apple, Intel Fortran Compiler for Apple, Intel Math Kernel Libraries for Apple and Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for Apple.

So there you have it. Mac OSX has been cross platform since day 1. The humanity. I love it.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 11:07:14 pm »

not sure what to say... but fuck me i really didn't expect this.

these Intel chips coming in the next release of apples pro desktop macs better absolutely eat the G5's alive or i'm just going to give up and go buy a freaking pencil and paper

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads