*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:47:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Improving framerate + new graphic drivers
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Improving framerate + new graphic drivers  (Read 14580 times)
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2003, 08:55:45 am »

I've heard that GhR's framerates improve if your game and OS resolutions are both the same. I've never tested it, but that's what I've heard.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
0 Kilz:M:

Sancho!

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2003, 12:37:22 pm »

How are you guys clocking your fps? Are you just guessing or does Ghr have some sort of built in benchmark test? I've been looking for a way to clock my fps in RS for my piece o'shiz G3 imac400.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2003, 02:08:50 pm »

In the Ghost Recon Data folder, there's a file called options.xml. In options.xml, under the <Graphics> heading, there's a line that reads <ShowFrameRate>FALSE</ShowFrameRate>. Just change that to TRUE, and bam, you're set.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2003, 08:29:29 pm »

I tried the mipmaping guide and it raised my fps by 5 at average

changed the mipmap value from 0.5000 (default) to 0.2000

yay
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 08:04:56 am by JokaKutiHuti / ViRuS » Logged

Brian Koppi
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2003, 01:01:30 am »

If you remember my earlier post, I was debating whether to upgrade my DDR RAM or video memory in an effort to achieve better performance. Based on recommendations made here, I upgraded my DDR RAM from 256 to 512MB.

The difference is remarkable! Wide open maps with heavy AI that used to skip now run smooth as silk. In fact, I haven't been able to create any game play situation that causes a performance lag.

With RAM prices still fairly cheep, I advise anyone looking for a performance boost to look into a memory upgrade.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2003, 05:59:40 am »

I tried the mipmaping guide and it raised my fps by 5 at average

changed the mipmap value from 0.5000 (default) to 0.2000

yay

I did the same after reading the article...same settings except mine is set to 0.3000. At least a 5-10 fps rise.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2003, 09:00:00 am »

nope...make sure the mipmapping box "is checked" and then go to ur options.xml file and edit the mipmapping data from 0.50000 to  something that works well on ur cpu. If 0.50000 works best dont change it. I changed it to 0.30000 and got more fps from on an average of 35-40 to 40-45.....

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
0 Kilz:M:

Sancho!

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2003, 11:39:38 am »

Whats with all this tweaking crappola, can't they just make the game run on its own. next thing ya know we will have to program them as well
Brian
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2003, 11:56:32 am »

I have a question about the frame rate display.

I consistantly get rates of 15-30 fps. However, I never exceed 30 fps. In fact, when I hit 30 fps the frame rate display changes from red to yellow.

Does the color change indicate anything? It certainly seems 30 fps represents a ceiling for me. Even with no enemies on the map and my view fixed on my motionless feet I can do no better.

Is this the result of a bad Mac port? How are people achieving frame rates approaching 60 fps?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2003, 12:40:16 pm »

The way the FPS counter is set up in GhR is that when your FPS is below 30, the display is red, between 30-60 (I believe it's 60, can somebody who's actually gotten framerates that high tell me if I'm wrong?) it's yellow, and at 60 and above it's green.

"Is this the result of a bad Mac port?" Yes.

Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2003, 05:39:01 pm »

as far as I knew below 30 and below is red, 31-60 is yellow, and 61+ is green.  I personally always thought it was like this but then again it shows basically how the people who made ghost recon apply framrate to the game.  Obviously they believe that 30- is not adequate enough a framerate for the game.  No I do understand that the human eye can only see up to 24fps and that is fine, but to be honest I do believe that it is important to have a good framrate for the game that is above 30.  although this guideline for framerates was obviously setup for the PC version, which does have a faster FPS then the Mac cause of the porting.  

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2003, 07:40:44 am »

First off, Saber - the eye can't see over 60FPS. A lot of people assume that it's 24 or w/e because that's what movies run at ( a movie frame is different ).

Well, today, supprisingly, I broke 60 FPS.

It was quite odd. I hadn't played GHR in about 2 months. I always remembered it as having shit framerates ( 25-40 FPS ). Today, I opened it up, and was consistantly getting 50-60 at Farm Day ( highest graphic settings ). Then, we moved to Tank. I looked up at my framerate counter, and realized that I was getting 72 FPS. It remained between 60 and 70 FPS for the rest of that game.

When I hit the screen shot button ( Command Shift 3, because I never remember what the default screen shot key is ), the framerate will drop, however, I was able to get several screen shots with famerates ranging from 60-70.

I don't have any webspace, so if you want to see these screen shots, email me, and I'll send you a few of them.

I have a 1GHZ Powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 64MB ATI Radeon 9000.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 07:41:31 am by Typhy » Logged

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
pavel
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2003, 08:00:46 am »

Concerning fps that human can see, please read the following:

http://www.geocities.com/nmaniatis/bricktastic/framerate.htm

Actually 15-20 fps is enough to fool a lot of people.  They use 24 fps in movie just for good measure.  

peace.
Typhy
God save the Royal Whorealots

Woot

« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2003, 09:34:08 am »

Anyone who believes that is nearly as dumb as the person who trusts facts that come from a site hosted by geocities.com.

I have here, 2 perfectly normal computers.

One Alienware PC, 3.3GHZ P4 256MB GeForce FX 5900. One 1GHZ Powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 64MB ATI Radeon 9000.

I have here two perfectly normal copies of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - one for PC, one for mac.

I have here, Omaha Beach. Both computer have everything set on highest.

Mr. Mac is getting 17 FPS - looks extremely jerky, and extremely hard to aim.

Mr. PC is getting 167 FPS - looks perfect. Easy to aim.

I have here the same two computer, with the same game.

Opperation Tourch:

Mr. Mac is getting 26 FPS

Mr. PC is getting 194 FPS

Mr. Mac looks quite jerky, difficult to aim, but playable.

Mr. PC looks perfect, easy to aim, not the slighest big jerky.

Anyone who claims that 25 FPS looks perfect has obviously never activated a frame counter, or is used to shitty framerates.

30+ = Playable.

60+ = Exellent.

The framerate facts.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
pavel
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2003, 09:56:11 am »

Man,

Before you start to call people "dumb", did you even read it?  It was citing results from Scientists (and the url it cited was hosted by a real University).

Sometimes you think 15 fps game (the rate quoted by the game) is jerky because: a) the computer may not measure the frame rate accurately.  b) once in a while, it skips a few frame (when there is hot actions).  And when it skip frames, it is very hard to aim, becasue you have to "predict" where your aim will be after the skipping.

Man, there is really no need to resort things to name calling.  I am trying to tell what I know, in a civilized way.  I always try to back my claim with reference.  Maybe you can also try to back your claim (human can tell the difference at 60 fps) with some real scientific reference.  Go to find it.  Try National institue of health.  Stanford Univeristy or what not.  You just won't find it, cos it is not fact.

peace
Dampk
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2003, 10:27:13 am »

Well, if your monitor is set at 100Hz for refresh rate, your max framerate output is 50 fps.  So really, even if your computer can put out 100 fps, the output rate is still limited by your monitor.  So really, even though you are superhuman, and can tell the different between 50 and 100 pfs, it doesn't matter, cos your monitor will limit it to 50 fps.  So not getting higher than 60 fps is no big deal.  Besides, we are not superman anyway... Smiley

It is usually not the frame rate that kills you.  It is the inconsistency.  Skipping/lagging a frame here or there really kills.
Priss
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2003, 10:57:06 am »

Dampk,

Good point about the monitor limitation.  I guess it settles once and for all if there is any merit of getting 60 fps+.

Ya, I don't like impolite people in the forum as well.  Pavel, if I were you, I would just ignore him.  Don't they have modulator to make sure there is no rude behaviour in a forum any more?  I don't read most forums nowadays, cos people are so rude and uneducated.  I guess good folks are hard to find on the web. Smiley

Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2003, 09:26:05 pm »

Good point dampk,

One thing that is more of a problem than people bitching about low fps, is people thinking that somewhere someone might be getting more framerates than them, which causes them to die (also people with fullscreen night vision  Wink ). I personaly don't care how my framerates are, right now i've turned my graphic detail higher and now i pull between 14-25 on my g4 which is just fine, i'm still damn good.
Look at Ace who plays GHR on a 500mhz revA tibook (8megs of videoram), at most he might see 20fps, but he is a better player than mostly everyone.

But remember kids, the more FPS you have, the longer your penis is.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2003, 02:43:54 am »

The second someone gets a G5, plz post your fps's here  Smiley

weeeee, hope its over 100.

+MOD+ Sivak

The greatest risk, is to not take a risk.

« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2003, 05:06:22 pm »

Jeb I think you put the the finger on the hot spot.  

Computer RAM, Frame rate, connection speed.  All of this is nice and I think that we get the most of what we have.  We have a clan members on 56k that are part of the good players of ghost recon.  They dont complain about it.

My point is that skill is the major reason of what makes the difference between poor, good and excellent players.

So my suggestion to the guys that unfortunatly think they have FPS problems,  just play a bit more and you might get better at it.

Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads