*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:28:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Command Map Spawn Points?  (Read 967 times)
[:] Mr. T

STFU

« on: April 15, 2005, 02:06:39 pm »

I preparation for Season XI I decided to go back and fix a couple of errors in the [:] command maps that I made. In particular, I realized after playing in open room with guys from other clans that some of the spawn point numbering I had were different than what others seemed to have. Somebody would call out, "they're at spawn 4" and I'd look to see that we were at spawn 4. WTF?! So I went back to try and figure out why I got them mixed up.

Now, I made my own maps, but I did take the spawn numbering system from other maps that were posted in the Downloads area -- I've got Ross's old skool maps, The BTs maps, the DBL2 pack that z][t put out as well and misc others. To check to see who's were right and how to settle this once and for all, I did my own testing. I fired up a host on my desktop G5, joined in from my laptop Powerbook, turned off "random inserts" and set one guy, for example, to team 1 and the other to team 2. I'd then start the game and see where I spawned. Repeat for spawns 3 and 4.

The results were interesting... all of the different map collections seem to have the numbering off. Sometimes the maps were 100% right. Other times 2 of the 4 spawns would be accurate. Other times, they were all wrong.

So, I'm wondering how this happened. Did Ross and the BTs just guess and then we all adopted their mistakes into our maps? Or am I doing something wrong with my tests? I don't so much care about having spawn 3 be spawn 3, but I do want my numbers to match those of the other clans. It sucks when someone says 3, I look at my map and head east when I should be headed south... or whatever.

If someone has any thoughs on this, I'd like to hear them. Also, I'd be happy to complete my tests and compile an accurate collection of maps for public use, but only if people are interested. Let me know.

[:] Special Forces Clan [:] http://www.specialforcesclan.org
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 02:30:24 pm »

I remember that Ross the lazy bampot just guessed where the spawns were  Grin

Eight and the gang did a lot of testing for the BTs maps to get the spawns exactly on spot. By having a group of guys spawning in one spot at a time and killing themselves directly, leaving red marks on the command map to take screenshots of, if my memory still serves me correctly.

The numbering is clockwise starting from top-left on most command maps, no?

STFU

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 05:39:22 pm »

I'm cool with the positioning. It's the numbering that's the problem.

Yes... on most of the original mission maps the numbering runs clockwise from the upper left. But, for whatever reason, on the DBL maps the numbering does not follow this convention.

Has anyone gone through and figured this out? I'd be happy to provide a public set of maps with the numbers in the right place if someone has the info handy.

Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 05:47:35 pm »

in the public z][t command maps i made for the *DBL mappack 2.55 the spawns should be exactly on spot and the numbering is clockwise, starting from top left with number 1.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock

STFU

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 08:38:28 pm »

Okay... again... I have the dots that indicate the spawns in the right place. It's the numbering of those dots that I'm not sure about.

CIVIC... did you number your locations based on how the game places squads 1,2,3 and 4 on the map or did you just decide yourself to number them clockwise from the upper left?

Thanks for your feedback.

Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 09:46:38 pm »

the game places the squads randomly (if you set it to Random Insertions, as required for CBs), so i kinda had to decide myself to number them clockwise. from the upper left was just logical since you also start reading a book from the top left corner (well, unless you're arabian or so Tongue).

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads