*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:06:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Term Limits for Battle League Admins...  (Read 3788 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 01:37:45 am »

If you want to take it to another level, maybe we should start putting some money on the line.  At least then there is something really to lose and we can enact some policies that make it all worth it.  Until then, have some fun.

Oh yeah, let's play for money!!!  I'm all for that!

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 02:09:55 am »

Ok, I feel that I must say something about the term thing that has been brought to my attention from this post.  I dont see how changing the admins to be honest is gonna be any different for people out there.  In reality all it's gonna do is create more shit in the forums because now we have to train more people to become admins and whatnot.  Everyone might think that they can be an admin but in all honesty it's a lot harder then you think.  I feel for BFG sometimes because of the scenario's that he is faced with because he is an admin.  By being an admin you are basically the first one to get the blame for the issues at hand because of the voted decisions that have been made and you happened to be the one that posted it.  In all reality I would have to say that I am impressed with most of the admins.  Many times they have ruled in my favor and many times I got the ass end of the stick.  The simple fact is that in the end I must respect and understand why they came to their conclusion, and above all accept it even if I didnt agree with it.  We can all say that we would do better in their shoes but in the end I think that many of the choices made for admin are good ones.    

Ya know the sad part is when the admins were being selected many of you voted for these people to become admins, and now it's like you are denying that it ever happened.  Hmm, and if ya didnt vote as the saying goes, then dont bitch.  Either event let me put it this way.  BFG for example was picked over me because he is a much more understanding person then I am which I give him many props for.  I admit I could not do the job as well as he could, all I can do is offer my opinion and you basically take it for what it is.  In either event over 10 people voted for him if I recall and less then half were my own guys so what does that say?  Well, it says that you guys voted for him and therefore accepted what would become of the outcomes that he was involved with.  And since the others were mainly voted in as well, you guys all did your part to be the voice of the Battle League, and again if not, then dont bitch.  

Now there is an issue where you guys dont accept what they ruled on based off of what seemed to be using some old rules and new rules combined to make it an easier transition to finish an issue from last season.  They all voted and some most likely didnt vote for it.  In either event the ruling was made based off of the votes and it was laid down.  Now we are discussing this issue with replacing them.  OK, with who?  Who would be a better admin to where they are non-biased and fair?  You guys putting this post up?  Well, I can not agree with that.  Obviously there is a personal issue with MP5 Typhy here.  To be honest typhy gave up his rights to deal with this issue, and to be honest I seriously doubt he had any influence on the admins decisions any more then Lee Harvey would speaking for the other side since his clan was involved with that mess as well.  So to sum this whole slew of stuff up I just wrote, if we were to replace the admins, then who would be non-biased enough to take their place?  We each picked one guy out of every clan originally because this way each clan would have what is basically a spokesman for their team.  If we were to replace them, then the only way is to replace them with other members from the clans that also participated in this season.  And since all of these guys were picked off of either the oldest most well known clans or some of the newer better clans at the time, I dont see how replacing them with one person from the same clan to another person from the same clan would really make any difference.  Yes, in a sense all admins are biased towards their particular clan but that is why they cannot act as an admin when an issue directly involves their clan.  So I vote not to change the admins because in all honestly our clan and many others is represented by the best spokesman of those clans.  Therefore we would be going downwards in admin quality by putting replacements for them in.  

:MoD:Saberian (Clan Leader Methods of Destruction)

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 03:00:16 am »

People like Hazard are perfect, although he hasn't been on as much recently, I think certain clanleaders should make up this Council thing I've seen somewhere, I wonder if that is in the future plans.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2004, 10:01:17 am »

All hail FahQ2.  All hail FahQ2.

Thanks for getting it FahQ2.  This place is like a beer softball league, where everyone has forgotten that the whole point was an excuse to get together and drink on a week night, and now wants to argue every call with the Umps because winning is everything.

This is a game, and yes, all games should be played to win, it makes them more fun for everyone involved.  But when winning becomes more important that playing, that's where things go wrong.

When winning is more important, that's when you:
* Duck CB's because you are concerned over what place you are in the ladder
* Use tactics even you think are cheap
* Spend more time arguing about rules and lag than the CB takes
* Plenty of others, but most have quit reading at this point

As soon as you start manipulating pieces of the system, from who you play to camping, you've started to lose the purpose.  We are hear to play, to have fun, to blow off steam.  

All hail FahQ2.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2004, 11:11:29 am »

People like Hazard are perfect

No offence towards hazard in any way, but i find this confusiing... You prefer to have admins make rulings who don't Play the game, or are perhaps not as aware as some problems as they have not experienced them in playing, or participating in the BL ??

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
ghost.fr

http://monks.4yu.fr

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2004, 05:01:37 pm »

well i want to thanks all the admins!! all!! to do the great job they do and keep the league as it is and make it avolve more and more

great job guys
Ssickboy

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 08:11:53 pm »

could be wishful thinking:  It doesn't seem likely to me that we could find a set of non-clan unbiased mature admins with enough time to oversee games, decisions, and posting every two seasons.  

nothing wrong in my mind of having an assortment of active clan representatives participating in the council.  If you want to keep the field fresh but experienced... have restricted terms unlimited but with votes every few seasons.  Or have rotating two or three spots each season up for renewal and voted upon by the admins.  Clans submit a person for consideration whether he's in a clan or not.   Sitting admins decide wether this person is fitting for a council spot.

btw...
How many sitting admins are there right now?
How many spots are opening up?

Retire Bush
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 09:14:49 pm »

could be wishful thinking:  It doesn't seem likely to me that we could find a set of non-clan unbiased mature admins with enough time to oversee games, decisions, and posting every two seasons.  
nothing wrong in my mind of having an assortment of active clan representatives participating in the council.  If you want to keep the field fresh but experienced... have restricted terms unlimited but with votes every few seasons.  Or have rotating two or three spots each season up for renewal and voted upon by the admins.  Clans submit a person for consideration whether he's in a clan or not.   Sitting admins decide wether this person is fitting for a council spot.
btw...
How many sitting admins are there right now?
How many spots are opening up?

I believe there are 13 sitting admins at this time, not counting Mauti.  I don't think he has said anything about opening new spots up.

I like the ideal of voting to renew admin memberships every 2 or 3 seasons.  I really think that would be the ideal balance I would like to see.  That way, if there is a problem with an admin, or a majority of the people in the Battle League see fit, they can just axe that person when they vote.  I think that would also tend to make the admins think about their actions a bit more.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 10:04:13 pm »

Ok, I'll ask it again.

How can people that don't know all that's going on make an informed decision (vote) for who's doing a good job or not?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 10:41:59 pm »

I like the ideal of voting to renew admin memberships every 2 or 3 seasons.  I really think that would be the ideal balance I would like to see.  That way, if there is a problem with an admin, or a majority of the people in the Battle League see fit, they can just axe that person when they vote.  I think that would also tend to make the admins think about their actions a bit more.

Think about their decisions and be sure to vote in favor of the clans who are active on the forum?

You got banned from the Battle League, GS, no one expects you to be happy about that. However, we do expect you to at least be smart about it. Whining because someone didn't rule in your favor is incredibly inmature.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
BTs_FahQ2

shit stinks, don't touch! drink more! beer shits!

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2004, 10:50:39 pm »

Funny, you quoted something that had nothing to do with your argument.  I believe he is just expressing his view about changing admins around after a certain length of time.

I dunno, but maybe it says something else there in between the lines.  

Silly guy.  I believe you are trying to flame.

"Forgiveness is between you and your God, My job is to help arrange the meeting."
www.rmgraphix.com
alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2004, 11:32:10 pm »

I'll take the job. I assume starting pay is $1500/season for decisions and postings and $16/game to sit in on a CB. (which I would consider a steal btw, considering how many hours the average admin puts in a season and $16/game is LESS than I make for umpiring)

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
Aramarth
Forum Whore

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2004, 03:23:17 am »

Ssick, that was me about two weeks ago. I proposed the idea, as I'm the type to make unbiased comments even representing my clan, and I was newly clanless at the time. However, I was told that to be an admin I needed a clan, so I joined one.

The wOOt is your friend. Trust the wOOt.

The worst part of being an admin is trying to remember to color your text every time... Wink
I own the former VT supercomputer node 177 wOOt! http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
Saberian 3000

The victory is not to be a target, but to win

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2004, 09:32:58 am »

Yeah, these guys arent getting paid shit sad to say, plus the only thing they usually get is a pain in the head from dealing with constant flame wars, camping issues, cheats of all sorts and whatnot.  to be honest I feel that the admins that run the Battle League forum dont get enough respect as it is.  They all make many hard decisions knowing that people are going to be biased about them no matter what way they rule.  But the thing is that they in many ways dont get the credit that they deserve for having to deal with the issues on a constant basis.  It's nice to see that some people appreciate what the admins attempt to do besides me, or at least has the balls to say it here.  In any event this issue should just end.  All the dominent clans have reps within the admins that control BL.  We all have a voice in that sense

:MoD:Saberian

In the end, it's about what is fair for the whoie
alaric
Forum Whore

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2004, 10:00:06 am »

My post was meant as a joke, but there is a somewhat serious point I was indirectly making.

The way other sports leagues deal with the issues like the ones we've been facing of late is to simply hire unbiased 3rd party sources to run the league. I seriously doubt this is an option here, I know I'm certainly not ready to put up "league fees" any time soon. So until someone ponys up the cash (GS?) we're gonna have to learn to live with admins who participate in the league they're umpiring in.

This obviously leads to conflicts of interest but there is no other way. The admins are doing the best they can. They have a shitty job that doesn't even have the benefit of a paycheck. These volunteer admins are doing everyone a favor just by doing their jobs. The least people could do is treat them with the kindness and respect they deserve.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2004, 04:51:42 pm »

The way other sports leagues deal with the issues like the ones we've been facing of late is to simply hire unbiased 3rd party sources to run the league. I seriously doubt this is an option here, I know I'm certainly not ready to put up "league fees" any time soon. So until someone ponys up the cash (GS?) we're gonna have to learn to live with admins who participate in the league they're umpiring in.

How much?

Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2004, 04:56:56 pm »

How much?

One Hundred... BILLION Dollars!

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2004, 05:02:54 pm »

How much?
One Hundred... BILLION Dollars!

No, really, how much?

alaric
Forum Whore

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2004, 06:40:18 pm »

Enough to hire some non-biased admins. I've already posted how much I'd like to be paid. Another individual would probably demand a different price.

Depends on how you'd like it organized too, if you want admins to sit in on each CB it's gonna cost a lot more. If you just want 5 guys to admin the thing like we have it now, i'd guess $2500-$7500 depending on salary. (at least 500 per person per season, not more than 1500 per person per season)

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2004, 06:59:36 pm »

Enough to hire some non-biased admins. I've already posted how much I'd like to be paid. Another individual would probably demand a different price.
Depends on how you'd like it organized too, if you want admins to sit in on each CB it's gonna cost a lot more. If you just want 5 guys to admin the thing like we have it now, i'd guess $2500-$7500 depending on salary. (at least 500 per person per season, not more than 1500 per person per season)

Well, I guess I could fork out the money for it.  Don't know how I would slip it passed my wife, though....lol.  But where would we find these non-biased admin?  I mean, they have to be able to get on GameRanger using a Mac, so that pretty much means we would have to get people that are already on GR to do it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads