*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:01:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN Battle League(*DBL) (Moderators: BTs_Mysterio, *DAMN Hazard, BFG, Civrock, BTs_GhostSniper, ~Po~ TiroFino, [a] LYNX, Phara, mesa)
| | |-+  news from evill
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: news from evill  (Read 6032 times)
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 09:23:16 am »

<Conspiracy Theory>
Hmm, notice how Evill said nothing about NF. What could he be up to?
</Conspiracy Theory>

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don&#039;t make me smack you.

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2003, 10:02:15 am »

Evill I was just tring to noify the comunity so that the other would know what they might want to look at getting premium soon.

I think it is a smart move on Evills part. Like evill told me (and a few othes at the same time) OS 9 is holding back some things he can add to the premium users to have.. Get rid of os 9 support.. and he can add more things to the premium accounts makeing it better for all who truely injoy (and pay) for GR.

On the nf issue.. I have already begun trying out diff programs to use to talk ingame w/.. but evill also said that VOX activation for the GR chat would be added soon. So when that is added it WILL be more like NF.

BTW for those that have upgraded to panther and have found out that you GR chat wont work ingame anymore.... try using the ctrl,option, or command keys as you push to talk buttons.. it will work then.

Djing isn&#039;t realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it&#039;s about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ&#039;s:they love it, they live for it.
th.Sentinel

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2003, 10:35:25 am »

Typhy, I am running panther on a 300Mhz G3, on which I play ghost recon. I am getting an avarage framerate of 20-30 FPS. I even have boosts up to 40 FPS. So it is possible to run Gameranger, Ghost Recon and Panther on a G3 300 Mhz. I can even run it with only 128 Mb of Ram. If you don't believe me I can get you a screenshot...(with a moving screensaver background)

And for all you whiners, stop annoying Evill! Be pleased that he does this for the Mac Community!

Back to the issue: Maybe Evill can buy a license from netfone. Integrate it into Gameranger as an extra panel, with all the  netfone options on it. And the option to only let buddys connect to you with a separate buddylist. (of course only for premium accounts... that way Evill (as well as Haxial) will finally get payed for all the work he puts into this.) Gameranger and Haxial are both Australian so its possible to do this. And its totally legal.
I don't care paying another 5-10$(?) more for my premium, just to get this extra option. 60$(?) a YEAR isn't much!!

th.Sent

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
l ! l Ross

Macs Rule

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2003, 02:05:30 pm »

The sooner it goes osx only the better. People have had plenty of time to update and move on. You can't expect Evill to continue to support an out of date OS.

On the other side it sounds silly if Evill decides to block out netfone. Would be better if he compete with netfone with better futures rather than block them out. But I am sure he is already working on new features.

Its annoying to see when people get something for free for years they start complaining when they get the option to pay for it. If it wasn't for Evill none of us would have meet and the things we take for granted like this forum and the battle league would never have happened.

Another thing you people who still play R6 and RS on os9 and complain about GR going osx only STFU. If it wasn't for Evill you would never have been playing the game online in the first place. So if he want's to go osx only then fine by me.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2003, 02:41:42 pm »

woah heh this has gone way past the topic but hey.

Ross is right on this one. You can't ask people to support os9 anymore. Its just a dead system. Apple has killed it and so have most mac users, and for good reason. There was a reason for spending so much time developing X - and it wasn't just as a 'perhaps hmm thats quite nice' alternative system to 9. Its a REPLACMENT.

Going by the number of games currenlty beiing played on the Damn bl ladder for RS well its not exactly a wild party is it. look at the differnence between RS games played and GR games played.  Why the hell should Scott have to support os9 still? are new games coming out now supporting osx? no not in general - look:
Doom 3                : OSX
Halo                     : OSX
Raven Shield        : OSX
Wakeboarder        : OSX
Splintercell           : OSX
World of Warcraft : OSX

The list goes on and on and on. Look at big developers as well like macromedia and adobe? do you see them pushing support for OS9? err no..

feel free to keep os9 and play RS but don't bitch if you can't accept that you are a minority.  why expect people to support it? its so very simple: os9 is no longer the mac OS.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2003, 03:01:24 pm »

The links thing is a minor annoyance. I just don't understand why you did it.

In order to impliment some advanced features in the future, Evill would possibly have to make GR OSX only, however, it seems that he could still have a stripped down version for OS9.

Funny, I have an iBookSE366 running Panther right fucking now dumbasses.

Quite hostile, although, I would hope that most of it is directed at Cutter. What I said still stands true with the ammount of RAM that I mentioned. What I failed to mention, though, is that if your machine can't run OSX ( acceptably ), then it can't play any games aside from things like Chessworks and Bolo, so you really won't have much of a use for GR. Like Bucc mentioned, Cutter, if you maxed out your RAM, you could run OSX.

[/color]
Typhy, even with 192MB, Panther runs ok on an iBookSE.  It's max is supposed to be 320MB, and I've already talked to Cutter about spending the $40 to get that module.  BTW, there are a few other games you can play on that machine, just not graphics intensive ones, because it never had a good video chipset.

R6 for Mac was published in November of '99, making it 4 years old now, Rogue Spear for Mac was released in December of '00, making it 3 years old next month.  The iBook SE didn't even meet the minimum video requirements for Rogue Spear (it only has 4MB of video RAM).  How long should games that aren't widely played be supported?  Face it, you can always hook up on GR and IP join a game.

You don't buy an iBook for 3D gaming and expect it to work with all the latest games, because that's not it's niche.  Especially 3.5 years later.  But an iBookSE will run OSX just fine, and let you still use the other 90% of applications the average person uses a laptop for in a day.

More on topic, I think Evill should just make GR paid only.  He should drop the price by $10 just to make people think they are getting a deal (but when you look at what people pay for Everquest or WW2online, $50/year is nothing).  The dropping the price is all perception, which he would then make up in volume.  But it would stop most of this bitching.  People would either see it's worth, pay, and get over it, or they wouldn't, but they wouldn't be on GR bitching about it all the time either.  Just my opinion, but the guy is just trying to make a buck off something he's sweated over for years, and I can't hold that against him.

Too many people want something for nothing, and then find ways to bitch about it anyway.  I don't think that Evill should mess with NetFone, but I do believe he should just kick the nancy boys out, make it premium only, and move forward.  

I don't work for Evill, I'm not an Admin, and I don't think Evill is perfect.  He makes mistakes.  But I give him a bucket load of respect for what he's done, and even more for what he puts up with to keep GR running.  Every time I've had a problem or bug with something in GR, Evill has taken the time to work on it and fix it.  And not just me, I've seen him do it with others.  Where do you get that kind of support?  Not many places, that's for damn sure.  So just quit baggin on Evill.  I've asked the question twice, but nobody has wanted to answer it yet.  Would you rather he just shut it down and it wasn't there?

Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, as others feel the same way I do.  

One last note, Sentinel, he wouldn't want to license NetFone because from a technical and network standpoint, GR chat is superior to NetFone.  It's features that people are complaining about, and he can add and change features as he sees fit.  But GR chat uses compression, less bandwidth, central server, etc.  People may want to have a few more features (like being able to ignore just some users, chatting out of games, voice activation, whatever), but the underlying technology for chatting in games is better the way Evill has it designed.  

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
th.Sentinel

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2003, 04:49:39 pm »

More on topic, I think Evill should just make GR paid only.  He should drop the price by $10 just to make people think they are getting a deal (but when you look at what people pay for Everquest or WW2online, $50/year is nothing).  The dropping the price is all perception, which he would then make up in volume.  But it would stop most of this bitching.  People would either see it's worth, pay, and get over it, or they wouldn't, but they wouldn't be on GR bitching about it all the time either.  Just my opinion, but the guy is just trying to make a buck off something he's sweated over for years, and I can't hold that against him.

Too many people want something for nothing, and then find ways to bitch about it anyway.  I don't think that Evill should mess with NetFone, but I do believe he should just kick the nancy boys out, make it premium only, and move forward.  

I don't work for Evill, I'm not an Admin, and I don't think Evill is perfect.  He makes mistakes.  But I give him a bucket load of respect for what he's done, and even more for what he puts up with to keep GR running.  Every time I've had a problem or bug with something in GR, Evill has taken the time to work on it and fix it.  And not just me, I've seen him do it with others.  Where do you get that kind of support?  Not many places, that's for damn sure.  So just quit baggin on Evill.  I've asked the question twice, but nobody has wanted to answer it yet.  Would you rather he just shut it down and it wasn't there?

Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, as others feel the same way I do.

Amen! bucc! right on!

But I still hope he adds some kind of xtra panel, so we can add premium members to have a group voice chat or something.

Anyway good job Evill!!! If I had more money I would donate you some, but I'm only 21 and just started working... Maybe in a couple of years...

Well tnx again,
th.Sent
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 04:53:53 pm by |GM|th.Sentinel » Logged

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2003, 05:31:36 pm »

yeah yeah yeah.... ok evill you did say that you were going to do a OS9 version. i never said you promised, i said you said. and to the issue of my ibook, it is a 2000 366 ibookse w/ 193 ram. when i got it i was told the max ram i could go was from 64 to 193, so i did it.  not having looked into it much since then, i've been going on other ppl's words about not being able to run osx. i've since learned (thx bucc) that later they made a ram avalible for my ibook up to 350 something. with that i could run osx and it would also signifigantly help with the games i do run. and i told evill a while ago that he should make gr pay to play (like xbox live or something). if he's going to try to make a living off of gr it might as well be a nice living.
and i have paid for premium, so when evill announced the new in-game voice chat i was verry happy. especially when he mentioned to me that later he may add OS9 support for it. now he's changed his mind about that. no big deal, i'll just have to finally upgrade. oh yeah, ross...fuck you, bfg...fuck you, and sent...fuck you!    thx again bucc Grin

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2003, 05:34:25 pm »

Don't you just love the maturity of these guys. The way they put words to paper... its just beautiful  Wink ty cutter lol

.::|N|SOC

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2003, 04:39:58 am »

coupla things

I agree 100% that we would have none of this without GR in the first place. All of what we are discussing is a product of Scott's hard work and dedication. He doesn't have to be perfect, but he should respond to user cooments, which he does. Regularly. And well.

Before GR added voice chat, people were always complaining about netfone, it crashed too much, the sound and volume problems, the lag, etc etc. There were few if any choices to replace it. Now we have a choice, and they both have pros and cons. Most people suddenly LOVE netfone? I doubt it. I'm sure when GR gets updated again, the voice feature will be improved, and this argument will be moot. For my money, the voice activation thing is the only real issue.. other than that, the GR chat is better. (Except when I get to use my second machine as a separate NF device, but I digress).

Life without GR would be worse. Much less convenient. Right now, we all know where to be. The games are ALWAYS there. No hunting, no scheduling, no trial and error and typing in IPs in that ridiculous GhR menu. You can play anytime, anywhere. It's really amazing, if you think about it.

Last, most importantly...Bucc's kids are just beautiful, aren't they. And the room is just smashing. Fine work, Bucc. Bring 'em on over and they can wrastle with my twins....

"I'm #2... and #1 is waaaaay overrated"

NETWORK :::: http://cwdim.com/forum
.::|N|SOC

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2003, 06:21:49 pm »

I was thinking this morning that there might be a compromise solution if Scott is amenable. The point of these is to encourage ppl to go premium, but give them what they want once they do....

1) Allow premium members to host locked cb-only rooms, which are used only for cb's, and permit the use of netfone for everyone in the room.

2) Allow premiuim users to have the choice of netfone or voicechat. Free users get neither. Take it or leave it, you haven't paid, so be happy you have anything at all...or use the free version of GR to chit chat and pull together IP-join games.

I assume this serves everyone's purposes. Evill gets an additional incentive to go premium, and the premium users get to use their preferred voice communications, which ever they like. The losers are the free-loaders... but there has to be some incentive to pay for this service, right?

"I'm #2... and #1 is waaaaay overrated"

NETWORK :::: http://cwdim.com/forum
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2003, 06:30:11 pm »

My only thing with all of this, is if you have paid for Netfone, then you should be able to use it, regardless of Gameranger or anything else.

"oh no, here's come's the death."
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2003, 07:04:52 pm »

My only thing with all of this, is if you have paid for Netfone, then you should be able to use it, regardless of Gameranger or anything else.

I agree, but I would take it a step further. As long as you paid for NF or Haxial allows a free trial, you should be able to use it regardless of any other apps on your system. In my book, an app that surreptiously kills other apps is spyware.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don&#039;t make me smack you.

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2003, 09:38:02 pm »

2) Allow premiuim users to have the choice of netfone or voicechat. Free users get neither. Take it or leave it, you haven't paid, so be happy you have anything at all...or use the free version of GR to chit chat and pull together IP-join games.

I was thinking about sugesting the same thing. This will allow any os 9er that has payed for GR premium to be able to chat on NF sence GR chat will not work for them.

Djing isn&#039;t realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it&#039;s about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ&#039;s:they love it, they live for it.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2003, 12:24:17 am »

Looks like it will just be a case of waiting and seeing what Scott does.. I wonder if and when the next point release of gameranger will be and what will change.
Whatever happens things will get sorted out one way or another.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads