*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:01:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GhR 2 PC-Version CANCELLED - GhR 3 announced!  (Read 32095 times)
cottonmouth

« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2006, 03:40:36 am »

It's still early, but it sounds like GR:AW could be a flop. Shame.

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1091

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2006, 04:03:04 am »

I am not all  that surprised that UBI has completely fucked up the PC side of GhR. I would just give up on all Ubisoft games now as to avoid future disappointment.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2006, 10:20:57 am »

Well the 360 version gots excellent reviews, and for true feedback I wouldn't take a 10 posts long thread from a onmac forum. Head over to http://www.ghostrecon.net/ or http://ghostrecon.3dretreat.com/ and take a look at this 23 pages long demo review thread: http://www.ghostrecon.net/

There the reviews are quite good, but it seems the game is very demanding.

bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2006, 12:15:38 pm »

I tried it a few days ago, and here is my verdict.

The game starts out nicely with powerful developer-logos bouncing on and off the screen, followed by the familiar Ghost Recon logo. Then the intro starts. The intro is not a prerendered movie, but is actual gamegraphics. Your team of ghosts are in a helicopter flying over Mexico city....LOADS of buldings can be seen through the windows of the chopper. After the briefing the chopper descends into the streets of the city and you jump out, ready for combat. At this point I was very excited, almost aroused. Then I took control of my dude moving along the edges of a building. Hmmmm...doesnt this feel like something I played before...hmmmm...yeah it does! It feels like............Raven Shield! Bah booooooo. I played a little more, but the handling was just not like the old Ghost Recon that we all love more than our families. Graphics and gunsounds are cool, very demanding for your machine...dont expect 60 fps here. But sadly the game is not Ghost Recon anymore. Im sure its a great game if you get into it, but it might as well have been called something else. So for my part...Im not gonna play the game at all, at least not now. AA is still better in my book.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2006, 01:22:47 pm »

Break my heart and shit in my skull i hoped for so much and it sounds like once again they have failed to capture what really made the original such a fantastic game.

when it came to player handling GhR beat RvS on every count.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:06 pm »

... and RS beat GhR.

Statistically, the older the better. Maybe we should all learn to make our own game... not shitty stuff like the major devs these days.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2006, 09:52:05 am »

Where are they going wrong? Are they just more concerned with playability or is it a case of everything shifting towards 'arcade mode' as they push for sales to casual gamers etc?

I don't understand the inability to take GhR and bring its Graphics up to date. Ok adjustments to other things but the fundamental stuff worked, its what made GHR so poopular!

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2006, 01:31:54 pm »

GhR series has become consoley (simplified) while the RS series has become arcadey. These people don't know what they are doing. The games won't sell like halo because any idiot can play them; now they're just an average FPS.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2006, 02:39:58 pm »

Rgr i've got to agree with you there Myst. I think its why more of us are playing AA now. Your average simplified arcade FPS comes 10 to the dozen, but FPS Mil Sim type games, well it ain't a bit list.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2006, 09:21:19 pm »

I'm surprised more gamers don't follow in the path of Tactical Ops (whatever they call it now). That mod was great when it came out for UT and changed the gameplay so much. I'm gonna learn that type of stuff sometime, I'm sure its easy... enough.

John Lennon
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2006, 03:48:57 pm »

I am almost in full agreeance with Magnetic.  I got my intel mac about a week ago.  Immediately I picked up BF2.  I really am enjoying this game.  The only thing this game lacks is more control of the player ...for example leaning.  You cant peek around corners!!  And maybe less hits with your gun to kill somebody would be nice.  Internal stat tracking, rewards, medals and promotions make this game a winner...plus the graphics are amazing, and it runs great on the intel mac.

Now being a Ghost Recon guy...I had to go out and get my hands on GhR Adv WF.   Undecided  So far all I see is better graphics. And as far as being like RvS....i'm not really sure about that.  Although firing a gun is about the same...with the gun jumps and all....it feels like your walking with cement shoes on. To be honest, I only played the game for about an hour so far, but I have not been immediately sucked in as I was with the original.  And yes it seems to be a bit more demanding than even BF2 on the mac.  Seems to be a bit slow....maybe there are some tweaks that I will need to make like w/ RvS.  I am hoping it will get better with time, after all I hated Rvs when I first played it, and it became one of my favorites.

I'll try to add some more feedback after I give it a few more goes. We've been yapping about it back and forth in our forum.  Currently Me Cottonmouth and Weak have intels, but weak is too mexican to get his going.  http://thechosenones.us/smf/index.php wallbashing

Oh yeah...when I installed GhR3 it also installed a program called X-Fire & Gamespy arena.  X-fire seems to be the pc version of GR....the only thing is all my peeps are not there 8(.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:00:26 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
WeedWacker

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2006, 09:10:13 pm »

Have you run the original GhR under Rosetta?  Is it playable?

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
cottonmouth

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2006, 09:52:14 pm »

Have you run the original GhR under Rosetta?  Is it playable?

I played GhR original a few times on my MBP and it seemed to run the same as on my G5 iMac, as did RvS and CoD.  I did not play for any signifigant length of time, but the few maps I played were good to go.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2006, 05:34:22 pm »

Tried out GhR3 again for a little bit last night.  I'm not sure, but I think I like it.  I wish all my peeps were playing it as well, so we could chat about it while playing.  Gonna try some more tonight....I could see this game being alot more tactical than I originally thought.  Also the reality of it is that at first it may seem a bit slow(movement), but I think it is just more realistic that's all.  After all who really moves as fast as the guys in GhR1 while aiming and running?  Warzone in the original version made the game. I am going to have to check out the different game modes that come stock, but remember WZ came out long after the game was being played. THere is some potential here possibly....I hope its not just new game excitement....I will have to really give this thing a go over.  More feedback to follow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:37:17 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2006, 08:34:50 pm »

Cell, I have played GRAW on the 360, and the big difference between the single player mode and the multiplayer are the graphics. It seems that the multiplayer mode graphics are less impressive than single player mode (actualy ugly and jagged).  Is this the same for the pc version ?
Also, you guys really don't know the meaning of the word camping until you played GRAW multi on the 360.

z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2006, 09:20:09 am »

lol KGB, thanks for the warning.

z][t-Magnetic

www.transistor6.net

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2006, 11:00:53 am »

I found this nice review, which pretty much sums it up...happy reading.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

After playing this game, I must admit I booted up the original Ghost Recon because I didn't remember it playing like GRAW, and in fact I was right.

GRAW takes a different route to the original Ghost Recon, and in fact feels far more simplistic, however unlike another Tom Clancy title, Rainbow 6, the gameplay doesnt suffer too greatly as a result

The president has been kidnapped, you must save him (well duh). In most computer games the story is just a mild diversion from the action, and it is no different in GRAW, however it does keep you guessing as to what happens next and while most of the core story is told to you via satelite uplink while your on a helicopter flying to another mission point it does make it rather exciting. Though the premise of the story borders on illogical and to put quite frankly, impossible.

However, story aside, I must mention my disatisfaction of GRAW's gameplay. It feels consolified, despite the extra month in development over the xbox 360 version the game still plays very much like a console game, that is its rather simple and the intense situations feel rather superficial as it mainly involves shooting at many enemies while dodging bullets, werein in the original the tense moments were created by putting you in a vulnrable situation were you wouldnt know if what you were planning out would quite workout as you hope.

The game uses a uplink system which helps you identify friend from foe, this replaces the heartbeat sensor back in the original GR and is far more effective than the heartbeat sensor, you usually see were the enemy is as they often are tagged with a red diamond, unlike the original
GR were you only have a general idea of the enemies wereabouts

The waypoint system is back, albeit very simplistically, this is in no small part due to the games linearity and the fact there are less ghosts on your team. The original Ghost Recon allowed you to take up to 8 other Ghosts with you on missions in different units, and were deployed in largely non-linear levels allowing for interesting tactics to develop while on the run. In GRAW the waypoint system is only good for one thing: making your squad see the enemy so you can issue the 'attack' command.

You can also pickup ammo from dead enemy soldiers, this couldnt be done in the original GR and takes away yet another part of the game, to add insult to injury picking up weapons involves you walking over the weapon thats on the ground, so much for military simulation Laughing

You also on some levels get the aid of a drone, which helps you see were the enemy are by tagging them, however its illogical you only get them in some leves as they are very useful, however whats more illogical is the fact that you can use the satellite uplink to see the enemy from above, yet they dont nessasarily get/are tagged with the red diamonds that help you find them. One would think an elite bunch of soldiers out to save the president would in fact have an army of people back at HQ constantly looking at the sattelite picture and tagging the enemies for the soldiers on the ground, and helping them with their plans. This can be forgiven as the game would in fact be too simple if all the enemies were tagged though it does make it feel somewhat 'gamey'.

What absoloutely CANNOT BE forgiven by any real GR fan is the damage model, you can take heaps of punishment and still fight efficeintly and effectively, while in the previous game if you were shot in the leg the soldiers movement speed would have been impeded it doesnt occur here, which is both good and bad, good for newcomeres who like action, bad for GR vets who liked the original for this. You can also get shotup quite a bit and still live, there is alot of intense fighting going on, werein the original the idea was to sneak round a corner pop off an enemy and go back into hiding, this without anyone seeing you, in this game it is replaced by firing, taking cover, firing some more, while being shot at the whole time. I even recall one very gamey moment were I was firing at a bunch of soldiers when tehre was another bad guy right next to me who was firing at me from point blank, I only noticed him after I finished with everyone infront of me, THIS ISNT QUAKE PEOPLE! I'm SUPPOSED TO DIE IF I GET SHOT 10 TIMES AT POINT BLANK RANGE!

To compensate for the lack of squadmates and the hitmodel you cannot hot switch players like in the original, your stuck to your character, captain mitchel.

HOwever the game isnt without its merits, the graphics are exceptional though not at Oblvion's level and the squad AI is magnificent. In this game your team is in fact a deadly weapon, and tehres no denying it, they fight hard and well, they take cover, move with caution and fight the enemy in what could be considered a realistic manner. There are some inconsistencies, like giving them the order to attack may sometimes result in a 'I dont have a shot sir', though you are being shot at by a clearly visible foe, since your squad mate is looking the other way he doesnt give a hoot.

Its slightly saddening this doesnt extend to the enemy, on medium level they have a habit (on some occasions) to shoot at you completely exposed, however this isnt often, and given the AI in this game is perhaps the best I have ever seen its hardly noticeable.

The physics employed in the game is a step above what we have seen in Half-life 2 and Doom 3 and rightly so, its the first game to support a PPU. The physics do affect how you play but not as much as half-life 2 (ie there is no gravity gun Tongue).

There are some nice touches to the game, when running around you kick cans and stuff and its always also nice to see parts of your body from first person perspective ala FEAR (not that there is a third person perspective).

Unlike the paltry Rainbow 6: Lockdown, the massive change in gameplay focus doesnt ruin the game, however just like Lockdown it takes away a lot of what fans have loved about the original. Its a good game, make no mistake, but perhaps it should not have been called Ghost Recon.

To be honest, I probably ended up playing the physics hardware demo that came with the game more than the game itself, die Hard fans will hate it, new comers will love it.

Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:33 pm »

Yeah...well I tried again last night.....didn't notice jagged graphics at all, and I have mine turned down all the way in MP....the Imac duo core is not the ideal machine for running this game, but it does the job.  Plus low graphics still look great in GHR ADV WF.  I have not noticed being able to  fight on after getting shot. I have been dying pretty quickly   Shocked . I also like the way the better you do in combat, the more weapon options are available for you.  Some of the other details are a bit much, but in the long run a few modifications and game types, and this game could be rocking.  I will have to see when I get good at the game, and really understand it if I will agree with that review that mag posted - especially the part about - "die Hard fans will hate it, new comers will love it."

Game on!   If any of you guys are playing either GHR3 or BF2...leave me your user names so I can try and find you out there.

:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2006, 12:59:26 am »

That is very upsetting, that was quite possibly one of the better parts to GhR is the fact that it was nearly one shot-one-kill which makes it that much more difficult.

Why change something like that.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2006, 08:35:02 pm »

I guess mate because 90% couldn't shoot for shit and needed a full magazine at 5 paces just to wound the enemy... ok a slight exageration but you get the drift Wink

Consolified for the masses... rip GHR

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads