*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:21:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  GR update problems
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GR update problems  (Read 3432 times)
Ein

« on: July 27, 2006, 04:50:31 pm »

Anyone else having problems downloading the update for GR? The download starts but then stops and says I am unable to connect to GR. Nothing has changed on my computer since the last time I logged into GR. My ports should all be forwarded... Anyone know what Im doing wrong?

Ein
+OnlyOne+

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:01:54 pm »

Abolutely nothing Ein, unless I'm doing something wrong too. Tried to get on last night and got exactly the same results you just described. Sigh! wallbashing
gsr

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:34:16 pm »

My comp seemed to update ok - G5 OS 10.4.2. The GameRanger.com site has a "download and play" button, maybe you could try the download from there.
+OnlyOne+

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:35:50 pm »

Ein....You aren't by chance on an Intel Mac are you??
cO.twist

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:30 pm »

I had the same problem Ein...I downloaded the beta version of GR like a month ago...that version no longer works..just go to gameranger.com and redownload gameranger.
Ein

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 07:57:17 pm »

i tried redownloading GR but it gave me the same message while trying to connect. No im not on an intel. g5imac using OSX 10.4.7 as well

will try a few other ideas.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:16:17 pm by Ein » Logged
Ein

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

ok... figured a way to get it working... My PB could get on and download the files fine... I just transfered GR folder to my desktop and tada it worked... So for those struggling, if you have a clanmate that can get on, have them send you theit gameranger folder and you should be fine

ein
PUNiSHER™

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:21:21 pm »

The new GR update lags, I played in 2 rooms last night and was warping like hell.  At times during the Ghost Recon games I couldnt stop my guy from running.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:22:56 pm by PUNiSHER™ » Logged

+OnlyOne+

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:37:59 am »

OK all. I just lifted this from the Game Ranger website.

Welcome to GameRanger Premium, {E}+OnlyOne+. Thank you for signing up.

GameRanger 4.5.2 Released

Due to an oversight, the 4.5.2 test version was unable to auto-update, and instead gave a connection failed error. If you know of others that might be experiencing this, be sure to let them know that they need to run their original 4.5.1, or else re-download GameRanger from the web site.

Here's the list of changes:

- Added Civilization IV

- Much faster connection/login and switching rooms

- Added a better way of seeing what games a person has installed
      - Instead of a submenu, a new window is used
      - Games that you also have are shown in bold
      - Works from any room (unlike the submenu)

- Reduced lag in Ghost Recon

This message can be displayed again by choosing GameRanger News under the Help menu.

<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 12:46:11 am »

In regards to the lag issues in Ghost Recon, I think Evill needed much more feedback than what he got. Unfortunately he got told that the lag issues were fine until the servers were maxed out. He tested and tested but the lack of interested to help him test meant it probably wasn’t as broad a test as he would have liked. He has been working very hard over the last 6 months to resolve these issues and to his knowledge about the beta versions, they were fixed. (based on feedback) He won’t know otherwise unless you TELL him. Don’t just say its fine when it’s only fine some of the time.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
gsr

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 07:30:16 am »

I'm a patient man but...

Sheesh Tigah, I don't know how many games I've played in 357Mag's, Cell's and various other servers running one beta version or another.  Sometimes Evill was right in the room taking comments and observing the various issues including lag.  Everyone around here on the forums has been complaining/commenting about the lag and intel/mac connection issues for months.

When I hosted a beta version with 12 people and got progressive lag, I talked to Evill and his response was "reduce the number of people, your upload is maxed out".  OK, so now we can host rooms with only 8 people? Every room I've been in with the beta versions has lagged regardless of how many people are playing, it's common knowledge on GR and here in the forums.  I have not heard anyone say "gee this works great".

I know Evill has been working hard and has the highest of intentions, but to put it back on the players for a lack of feedback does not seem reasonable.
<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 08:31:07 am »

I know gsr, I'm merely passing on what Evill was telling me. You and some others may have said it's not fine, but others said it was. At any rate, I agree, we should be able to play in full servers rather than reduce the amount of people one can host because of lag.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Scott_Kevill

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 10:38:43 am »

I'm a patient man but...

Sheesh Tigah, I don't know how many games I've played in 357Mag's, Cell's and various other servers running one beta version or another.  Sometimes Evill was right in the room taking comments and observing the various issues including lag.  Everyone around here on the forums has been complaining/commenting about the lag and intel/mac connection issues for months.

When I hosted a beta version with 12 people and got progressive lag, I talked to Evill and his response was "reduce the number of people, your upload is maxed out".  OK, so now we can host rooms with only 8 people? Every room I've been in with the beta versions has lagged regardless of how many people are playing, it's common knowledge on GR and here in the forums.  I have not heard anyone say "gee this works great".

I know Evill has been working hard and has the highest of intentions, but to put it back on the players for a lack of feedback does not seem reasonable.

The Intel issue is unrelated. Don't drag that into this.

I said to try less players to see if the lag still happens. If it doesn't, then it is a bandwidth maxxing problem that needs to be resolved.

Yes, lack of feedback has been the biggest problem.

Scott.

GameRanger - the multiplayer online gaming service
gsr

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:04:22 pm »

The Intel issue is unrelated. Don't drag that into this.

I said to try less players to see if the lag still happens. If it doesn't, then it is a bandwidth maxxing problem that needs to be resolved.

Yes, lack of feedback has been the biggest problem.

Scott.

Thanks Tigah and Scott for the constructive replies.  As an individual user it is often difficult to see the big picture.  One of the things that most people seem to dislike about software updates is the lack of information about progress.  Your replies here do a lot to help that.

The IntelMac issues may not be related to the bandwidth problems, but it would seem important in the long term to include new generation computers in GameRanger.  I'm sure this is obvious and you are working on a solution.

The bandwidth/lag/warp issues are beyond my technical understanding and I can only report what I experience in-game. Of course these observations are entirely subjective and involve: lag seems to get worse as the room gets "older", lag is often associated with voice breaking up (this seems better now), lag is often worse at the beginning of a game when people are moving quickly, sometimes near the end of a game when there are only 4 people alive the lag is still evident.

Regarding feedback: I don't know what the industry standards are for beta testing but it seems that software is distributed, run for a while and then comments returned.  From what I've seen on GR, this process is somewhat informal.  I wonder if formalizing the process would be helpful?  It could be as simple as a GR DEV thread on Damn to tabulate feedback.  Perhaps some guidelines for reporting various variables like beta version, host's comp speed, connection speed, number of players (with their connection speeds) etc. could be used.

I'm sorry for being long winded but I really like GR (and GhR) as a place to socialize and play (I know, I know - get a life gsr). I'd like to see it thrive.  From the discussions and comments I've seen there are a lot of people who feel the same way and would be willing to help if they knew how.

+OnlyOne+

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 08:44:29 pm »

gsr is secretly a politician and running for office....LOL.

Very well written g. I wholeheartedly agree. If Scott were to build a template of information or parameters that he'd like feedback on, I'm sure he'd garner all the support he could handle. And let's face it, that'd a hell of lot more helpful, than...GAME RANGER sucks.
Cell

Emo? Are you kidding?

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 10:06:41 pm »

Very well written g.

Nice way to put it gsr.  The only reason I completely stopped playing GhR was the lag issue.  Personally I love playing games on GR.  If any one of you ever took the time to have a normal conversation with Scott Kevill, you'd realize that he has been working to fix the lag issues in GhR for as long as he has known about them.

All the people I have gamed with over the years, the community & the competition are going to be almost impossible to replace on any other gaming community software.  I hope all the problems are ironed out for GhR1, so I can come back and play with you guys again someday. I also hope that some of the newer games that have been released eventually make it to the MAC so I can completely dismiss Windows. Until then I will be whoring on the PC side playing GhR3 and wishing I knew who it was that just took my GL to the face.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:11:06 pm by Cell » Logged

Well, I see your hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all kinds of ill shit."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads