*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:12:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  RvS Map Rotation Problem. FIXED?!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RvS Map Rotation Problem. FIXED?!  (Read 6038 times)
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« on: January 15, 2004, 12:25:34 am »

Hey yall. I know that some of you like me are having a problem rotating maps while hosting RvS games. Well I took the time to email Aspyr and got a quick response. And this is what they wrote.
Aspyr Media Support Response

Jonathan

We have not seen this kind of issue before. It is possible that the mods corrupted some of the game data.

Try running the repair disk permissions function of the disk utility located in Applications/Utilities. Also, where do you have the game installed on your computer? Make sure that it is not in the applications folder or on the desktop, OS X does not like this. It works best if it is installed in the Users/Shared folder or in a separate games folder on the top/root level of your hard drive.

If the game is not currently stored in one of the two aforementioned locations then sometimes just moving the game is not enough and it is necessary to reinstall. Reinstalling also gets rid of any game data that may have become corrupt. Be sure to trash the game's preferences file when you do so. Then just trash the current copy of the game and install a new copy.

We will investigate this issue, though, and find out if a fix is needed.
-------
Kyle Daniels, Tech Support

For more prompt service, please include all previous correspondence in your replies.
www.aspyr.com/support/

If anyone else is having this problem please email Aspyr immediatly so that they know this problem is out there and a fix is needed. I am going to try what they say in there response but I dont think its going to help because I have already deleted my prefs and reinstalled and have the game in a games folder on my harddrive. If anyone had this problem and has found a fix please post here.

Thanks
voodoo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 11:38:55 pm by +-KoS-+.vooDoo.-a2- » Logged

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 12:35:56 am »

i've had this problem, but the disturbing thing is that it is not consistant.  Every time i've hosted (which is not that many) i've had this exact issue, but when I hosted last, it was fine.  I did absolutely nothing to try to solve it, it just went away.  I'm betting the next time I host, it will be back.  Sorry that I have no help to give, but I'm drafting a letter to aspyr now.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 12:36:59 am by c| Splinter » Logged

"oh no, here's come's the death."
MainMaN

moo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 04:36:07 pm »

vood, allready been looked at, its a error in RvS, doesnt want some rvs maps to be on rotation are results in a crash, and they said the problem should be fixed in the next update.

Not an iron in the flame, Faith is just a flicker, But it's burning just the same. - Paul Alan

SparK - Forums :: http://sparkforum.cjb.net :: Raven Shield Modding Source
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 07:59:49 pm »

Who is "they" Mainman. Because the email I got from Aspyr development team mentioned nothing about knowing of this problem and nothing of a patch coming out. Did u read my post at all?

Adult Gamers Alliance
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 05:53:32 am »

so here's an interesting thing.  Pyro hosts often.  He's on a dual G5, 2.5GB of RAM. plenty of system. Every time he hosts, he gets the map won't rotate problem.  Well an interesting thing happened.  He crashed out of gameranger, but his RvS host continued.  And once he crashed out, the maps rotated fine.  So it may be possible that the problem is on gamerangers end, or is at least tied to it somehow.

c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 03:36:04 pm »

to add to that... once i closed the game and restarted GR, the bug returned.  when i stayed with the same map for a 2nd rotation, it seems that the server became unresponsive to anyone outside the game.  nobody could join.

the day before, i threw out all the raven shield files and folders (including the .plist file in my preferences.  when i re-installed, hosting worked fine that whole night... map changes, server option changes, the works.  the next day... back to bug city.

i have installed the game in a seperate folder in my home directory.

great game.  LOTS of issues.

need that update ASAP.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 06:40:40 pm »

hmmm, interesting. Once you guys suggested it may be gameranger I tried to create a game not useing gameranger and the map rotation worked fine. The question is here, who do we contact about this problem.

btw: Ive reinstalled 3 times now. I might be missing some files to delete when I delete Raven Shield. Can someone post all files that need to be deleted to re-install? I throw out the RvS folder and throw out the .plist pref, is there any others?

IDEA: Try reinstalling gameranger after throwing out all gr prefs, files and folders. Ill try when i get home unless someone beats me to it.  Wink

Adult Gamers Alliance
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 08:16:25 pm »

well I deleted the prefs and istalled the game in the specific folder (users-shared).
I launched the game and hosted a game tru ravenshield itself (ip join not Gameranger). I tried the quick pick map option using the console and it worked.
I could switch maps during playing and in the waiting screen.
Then I hosted a room in gameranger and tried the same thing, and lo and behold...   It didn't work.
Funny thing is when I rehosted a game in RVS itself (ip join) the quick pick map option didn't work either.
I do have to agree with splinter that it has something to do with Gameranger support.
I've emailed aspyr and Evill about the problem.

MainMaN

moo

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 08:33:10 pm »

I emailed Red Storm Entertainment. They specificy said that the bug conficts with modded maps or other types of un authorized editing. Untill CDK comes out for mac as well as a update RvS and its mod will suck. THe update is being worked on currently.

Not an iron in the flame, Faith is just a flicker, But it's burning just the same. - Paul Alan

c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 09:29:25 pm »

Pyro's and my own server both have no mods, nor anything else changed from the clean install, and we get this bug.

Here's another question, albeit way less important.  Does anyone know why you can't IP join a game that is started in GameRanger?  You get this, "incompatible version" error. Is this an intentional block by evill? I haven't tried ip joining a game that hasn't been started in GR, so not sure if it works that way or not, but the more investigating, the more it seems that gameranger is causing these problems.

MainMaN

moo

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 11:10:41 pm »

The only time i get that, is when i installed RvS on 2 computers and when ever i try to join i relize my ibook has version 1.31 and my imac v1.32. Even if i drag the exact app over. I believe its a port issue.

Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2004, 02:55:30 am »

Splinter, when you start up RvS without GR the version is 1.31 but with GR its 1.32. This is the reason you can't IP join when you host with GR.

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2004, 08:53:13 am »

Well, what the hell is up with that?  Is there some point to having 2 separate versions that i've missed?

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2004, 12:08:24 pm »

So that you can't IP join GR-hosted games, of course. Evill has an anti-hardon for IP joining.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2004, 06:09:02 pm »

So...

if I understand this properly, if someone posts a room with an ip address for my server, and I launch RvS independently of GR, people should be able to bypass GR and ip join without problem.  I just can't start a game via GR and expect people to join via IP.

It sounds like this is worth trying if for no other reason than to see if it eliminates the map-rotation issue.
c| Splinter

[the_co||ective]

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2004, 06:12:51 pm »

yeah that should work Pyro, i've seen a few other people do it.  Looks like that will probably be the way to go for the forseeable future.

A more important question though...when evill gets his anti-hardon, does that mean he grows a vagina?  inquiring minds want to know Wink

c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 03:14:29 pm »

back to the topic a bit...   Wink

i hosted an all ip game last night to see how it works.  absolutely no bugs at all: maps rotated fine, i was able to change server settings, i added and deleted maps from the rotation, i selected maps from the maplist, all without issues.  any one of those actions would have at best been ignored, and at worst crashed my game if i had been hosting via gameranger.

i have emailed aspyr with this information, and will let you know when/if they respond.  however, if i were them, i would probably put the ball in evill's court, as that seems like where the bugs are arising.

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 01:44:55 am »

When I emailed Aspyr they replied to it within 12 hours. I emailed evill at gameranger support and expect a reply within 6 months.  Wink

Adult Gamers Alliance
c| Pyroman

I'm a llama!

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 04:52:25 am »

i did send an email to evill outlining the problem in as much detail as i could manage.  i would be surprised if i get a response (based on what others have told me) but hope that he will use the information to fix the problem.  

ip hosted again today with no issues whatsoever.  GR hosted again today and had all of the problems outlined in this thread.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 05:11:48 am »

The report from evill is that it has nothing to do with gameranger and that he plans on talking with the developers of the game. Dont expect a fix anytime soon. It seems to me that this will turn into a finger pointing contest.

On a related note, when I asked evill why the team chat and global chat for gr voice didnt work properly, he had no idea and didnt really seem interested in finding out what the problem was. It seems to only not work properly in RvS.

Adult Gamers Alliance
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads