*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:08:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  What needs to be tweaked in GhR?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What needs to be tweaked in GhR?  (Read 5514 times)
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2003, 08:07:28 am »

Hm, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how much it would add to the game, though. Even playing with a 2x zoom weapon is tough, so playing without any zoom at all would be damn near impossible to play, at least for me. I'll think about it. : )

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Aramarth
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2003, 02:41:20 pm »

Loth, I can answer your questions on the support guns.  Consider for a moment that each and every LMG has a bipod.  Now I know for a fact that no LMG, when fired from prone, gets as inaccurate as GhR suggests.  I think on the whole they are done pretty decently, but more accuracy when prone would make them better.  Namely, the gun doesn't move.  Price of this is that the reticule closes at the slower speed the game has already given them.  Remember the .50 cal mgs (I know you have all tried them for kicks)?  They are dead on accurate.  An LMG fired from prone is nearly the same.

For everything else, just IMO, I think the zoom is over-generous in GhR as it is.  There isnt an excuse for increasing it.  The iron sights idea is very realistic.  Oh, heres a big one.  The length of time it takes to rack the bolt on a sniper rifle.  Heck, I just hunt with my .270, and I haven't had any formal military training, but I rack my bolt in 1/3rd the time of the elite Ghost snipers.

As for the oicw, it should not get any more accurate than it is.  Look at the barrel length!  I don't care how much you want to believe a gun like the oicw can shoot like an m16, it isn't happening.  Any more accuracy on its part is a joke.  Remember, the gun is still being tested, it ought to have bugs to work out; ours is accuracy.

The opinions presented within are not meant to cause any arguments, though they are supported by facts as reported by a retired USMC officer with infantry experience (my dad!).
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 12:40:17 pm »

Unfortunately, there's no way in GhR to change how well a gun performs in the various positions. All that a modder can do is to change the base reticule size, which allows you, for example (to use an example from some mod or other), to make it so that a .50 cal heavy machine gun or mortar launcher is totally unuseable (its reticule is the size of the screen or so) in any position other than prone. I had the same thought, that it would be the best if the MGs performed better when prone, but nooooo. Heh.

My main reason for the widespread zoom increases was not to make the game more realistic. It was to make it more fun and faster, as well as more balanced. A 2x zoom is almost entirely useless in Ghost Recon, due to the fact that normal engagement distances are large enough that a 2x (or even 3x at times) still leaves you looking at an enemy that is almost invisibly tiny on-screen. The uselessness of small zooms leads people to choose guns with large zooms. The only rifleman kit with a large zoom was the OICW, which was one cause of the OICW being the gun that everybody chose to carry 98% of the time. A one-gun game is boring. So, I evened things out by making other guns have useful amounts of zoom.

Ghost Recon is set in the near future, presumably after the OICW has been brought into active service. Who's to say that they haven't worked out all the bugs? Grin

I'd like to change the bolt time on the sniper rifles, but I haven't been able to discover how to do so yet. Based on past experience, I tend to assume that anything that is not obvious in GhR modding is impossible, so I haven't been looking very hard for a way to control the bolt speed.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
vv^^.sys
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2003, 11:02:06 pm »

What REALLY needs to be addressed in GhR is cornering. (i.e. peeking) Peeking is so difficult to do reliably on a consistent basis I barely even attempt it any longer because it gets me killed.

I may use it to great effect on one corner, but on the next corner I try to peek and don't lean over far enough to see passed the wall. However, the person on the other side of the corner sees enough of me to kill me. If *I* can't see around the corner when peeking, how is someone else going to see me? You don't peek by leading with your shoulder, you peek by leading with your head! If my head is around the corner enough to get shot, I should see passed the wall!

Anyway, I think this is a geometry problem. Possibly a culling problem.

Peeking was a key tactic in Rogue Spear, and it was implemented smoothly (on the PC anyway). If you could do it well it really paid off.
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2003, 05:00:51 am »

I find it funny that people are under the impression GhR runs well on PC

it's glitchy everywhere

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 03:30:25 pm »

Just so you guys know, the |MP| Mod is damn near finished. I just sent version 0.7 to Cringe, so hopefully he'll have it up on his iDisk and ready for download from the |MP| site by tomorrow.

I'm trying to keep the number of updates between now and version 1.0 as small as possible, so I'd like to do lots of changes for each release. Therefore, play the newest version of the Mod, and if there's something you want added or changed, get in touch with me. Now's your chance, since I'm planning on having version 1.0 be the final version. So, if you wait to suggest something until version 1.0 rolls around, you'll probably be shit out of luck. So suggest it now.

You can get the |MP| Mod at http://mp.macclans.com
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 03:31:06 pm by Mr. Lothario » Logged

s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2003, 01:02:40 am »

Just as an odd personal request, could you reassign the kit selection "|MP| No Restrictions" to the default kit selection so that all weapons can be used offline?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2003, 12:07:24 pm »

Actually, I have no idea how to work with the single-player weapons. Mauti, do you know where the campaign kits are defined? Or does anyone else?

leonzhu
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2003, 04:09:02 am »

origmiss/kits/*
mp1/kits/*

replace * with either:
hero
demolitions
rifleman
sniper
support
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2003, 02:32:17 am »

Ah, thanks. I think I know how to make the new kits available in single-player. I'll try it out and put it in the next revision of the Mod. : )

s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2003, 05:16:16 pm »

Keeping my record of odd requests?

Could you also include a server side only version of this mod? I think it would only have to require the Origmiss and Mp1 equip files, no additional kit restrictions, just updating the weapons with the parabellum stats.

Is it possible?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2003, 08:50:54 am »

Yeah, that's possible. : ) When I get off my ass and work on the mod again, I'll do that.

jasmine

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2003, 11:20:44 pm »

I think the fog is way to aggressive on most maps. Visibility rarely gets that poor in real life.

I also don't understand why you can see so well in the corners of the screen but not in the middle.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2003, 02:50:04 am »

Spider, I recently created a server-side version of the |MP| Mod. It updates the weapons to the |MP| Mod specs, and it fixes the four kits that have binoculars. I didn't bother changing more kits because server-side kit changes don't show up correctly for clients. When selecting, for example, one of the infamous binocular kits, it will still show up as having binoculars. In the game, however, you will have sensors or claymores, depending on which binoc kit you chose. Given the ambiguity, I figured it wouldn't be very helpful to add the rest of the kit changes that are in the full |MP| Mod.

Jasmine, I agree. However, the fog is so thick for two reasons. The first is performance: GhR is a shitty engine lacking many optimizations to allow long view distances, so the fog is necessary on most computers to get decent frame rates. The second is gameplay (I assume; the first reason may actually be the only reason): the designers didn't want snipers to be gods, as they would be in most maps given realistic distance haze. With the GhR-standard 7.62 sniper rifle, for instance, it would be a trivial matter to hit people 400-500m away, when to any player not using a sniper rifle, the sniper would be no bigger than a pixel and thus invisible.

The greater view distance on the edges of the screen has a technical reason that I can't recall. It has to do with clipping distances in 3D rendering, but I'm drawing a blank on the details.

s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2003, 05:31:49 am »

Interesting, I hope my no fog mod is still hanging around cmg hl, would be interesting, I didn't max fog on all maps, just doubled the maxplane and the fog distance, looked pretty cool for most maps, requires not much, unless you have dead bodies on or unoptimized mipmaping, outside that, I don't have many problems, but hey, my framerates suck all the time anyway:P.

Pretty interesting with the server side, I've been toying around with weapon stats, I even created a weapons server side that makes all the weapons as they are in droopy's general/enemy realism, was interesting, I still have the files...
jasmine

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2003, 09:02:43 pm »

Jasmine, I agree. ....the designers didn't want snipers to be gods, ....

As we should be  Grin
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2003, 10:16:30 am »

Well, even handicapped as I am in GhR, I'm already a sniper god. So I don't worry about it too much. ; )

BeefyFigure
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2003, 10:31:50 am »

I'm also handicapped...
Toxic::Joka
Forum Whore

Now available in PC flavour.

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2003, 08:43:53 pm »

What annoys me with the OICW is that if you look at the gun, its the OICW/GL that acctually has a scope. Not the "regular" one with sensors, but still the regular has longer zoom....  Angry

I got the picture from this thread that you are making some mod  Huh
If so make the zoom levels more even for all the guns. Cause thats basically what makes me not choosing them (m16, m4....)

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2003, 01:17:21 am »

Yeah, Joka, balancing the weapons was my point for making the |MP| Mod. It is not complete yet, but you can get the current version of the Mod from http://mp.macclans.com, and the |MP| Server #2 is running the new server-side-only version of the Mod, so you can see what I did to the weapons without downloading it. The full version adds kits and kit restrictions, as well as new weapons. The SSO version only modifies the existing weapons. Give it a try and tell me what you think. : )

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads