*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:12:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  Your opinion of the Ghost Recon demo.
Poll
Question: What do you think about the GhR Demo?
It sucks (crashy, laggy, no weaps, wtf kind of interface is that?!?!) - 10 (30.3%)
Very cool- I'll probably get the full game. - 14 (42.4%)
I have the full game and love it. - 6 (18.2%)
I have the full game and am disappointed. - 0 (0%)
Fun for a few games, but not worth getting the full version. - 3 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your opinion of the Ghost Recon demo.  (Read 5586 times)
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« on: November 10, 2002, 07:05:08 am »

Sadly, I am disappointed in Ghost Recon Demo. Maybe it has something to do with being on a G3 350 imac, but still....

Where are the guns?
Where's the close quarters combat?
Why does it crash after every game ends?
Why does it freeze at the start of every game?
Why do I have to focus my ret on a guy to find out whether or not i should shoot him, and by the time I realize, "wait a minute, there's not gonna be a name popping up, so why am i still looking for one?," i've either lost my shot or am dead.
Why can't I know the uniforms before the game starts?
Where's the damn boot button that I have so desperately wanted to use?
Why the hell can't I put people on teams?
What if I don't want a demolitions guy on my team?
The fog makes me think of Field of Dreams.
When I use multiplayer messages, I like hearing "PUCHI CYKA!!" and "UBYGUY!!!"
Shooting on the run is impossible now due to the ret that is the width of my screen.
The sniper scope cuts out three quarters of my field of view, so I know i'm gonna die.
Why am I inserted at the farthest possible point from the entrance, while the other team is inserted nearly inside, so that they have time to set up facing the entrances.
I really hate waiting fifteen minutes for a respawning game to end, and then have it crash anyway, making my wait good for nothing.
WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T MY NAME STAY AFTER TYPING IT IN THE SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS SCREENS ABOUT 10000000 TIMES?!?!??!
Why do they pick the laggy map for the demo?
Why do I only get to choose from premade kits?
Is the radar thing supposed to be helpful? It's not.
I'm tired of being tk'd by people who don't want to wait to have their ret light up (as I previously mentioned)

anyway, you can see I am very displeased with the demo.

People have said that the full version is better, and that they're working on a demo fix. But, with such an unstable demo, I don't know if I'm going to bother getting the full version. Anyway, you make your own decision.

ROGUE SPEAR WILL LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!  

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
Casper
Forum Whore

Shut it

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 07:11:08 am »

Mods thats where you have the close quater combat Smiley

The marines are so good they took a jeep into some Iraq village trying to get ambushed, they refueled 6 times and did everything they could to get ambushed. and didn't!
Then the same people take in a army jeep and try not to get ambushed and they do. but the marines kill them all and go home.
*DAMN Silent Killer
*DAMN
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 07:11:46 am »

yah im kindov disapointed there arnt really anyguns and the guns they do pic you can have 2 things Huh what happend to 4 slots and stuff ,shitty interface, crashes, bad reticule, bah its not good mb full game is better

-sk

Qotes of the week!
?TF6*Kilzo!: I just watched sk own him, and typhy gave up
Bondo
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 07:23:13 am »

I'm good at GR thus it is good Wink.

Yes, it is a shitty demo, but I still think it shows me that I'll enjoy it.  I'll probably buy it, I just have to decide if I have the money for it.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 07:28:31 am »

lmao snipe, ya, the name not saving is very fustrating to me also. and i also
find that it runs better in os9 then in os 10.2(jag) Angry

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 08:00:26 am »

The demo looks like shit, I will admit that after watching it on my bro sniper's computer. In the full game, there are 21 Rifleman kits, with a far superior weapon selection. As for your computer speed, I guarantee you that Ghost Recon won't run well in that...I think you are below the min specs. All of those weird crashes, etc. are probably caused by a shitty demo and not the game itself.

If the full game comes out to play like shit, you can blame it on Aspyr because Ghost Recon is all around a really good game. I hope someone who actually has the full version of the game will post on here and describe how it runs...

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
ambush
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 08:48:38 am »

The demo uses the same, engine, same code, but restricted.
That being said, I expect the full version to be crashy too, like R6, R6 demo, RS and RS Demo. *sigh*

Oh btw it's a very boring game.
I dont get the radar thing.
Reticle sucks
The "futuristic interface" sucks
1 shot ->death thing sucks
You still can't see you gun in 1st person (c'mon, redstorm )
Bad object interactivity & environment damage ( e.g. Can't shoot tires )
Still can't jump off mountains, etc, very boring indeed.
No gun name (I dont get that )

OTHO:
Nice sounds
Finally, we can shoot dead corpses and see blood squirting! (yay!)
The graphics are really nice (even on my poor iBook)

I would port some mods if I had the time... hmmm.. I'll see that...
but anyways, is there a Cocoa/Carbonizes RSD Converter avail.?

--jean-olivier
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 08:55:16 am »

FIrst off, its just a demo. And you probly shouldn't be playing it that far below the system specs. If your computer can't run osX well, or at all you shouldn't be playing it. I haven't played the demo, and i don't know what map you have, but the full version rocks. Its not laggy at all, evill played on my host with a 240ping and won a match of coop.

As far as guns go in the full version there are plently, but most of us usualy go for the OICW/GL which has a semiauto nade launcher.

The only thing that anoys me is the crashes after every few games, i talked to evill about it and he said it probly is a bug in the plugin that reports back to the GR server after each game (hense the crash). When there was only 4 of us with the full version, playing on GR wasn't even posible because of a plugin bug. We played for hours over ip and it worked fine. on apsyr's site they say they are working hard to put out a patch to bring ghr up to the current pc version within the next few weeks.

in the full version you can run a dedicated server and let someone else remotely controll it via a password. I can't wait to play in a game with 20+ people, it will really shine on some of the larger maps

GHR is much better than RS because its finaly a reason for me to never start my computer in os9 again. The game is less about who has the fastest tcp connection, and more about tactics, teamwork, and keeping cover.

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
ambush
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 09:19:28 am »

I was reading the options.xml files and I saw
<XBoxMode>FALSE</XBoxMode>
Wtf is that?
PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 10:44:16 am »

Jeb, did the Mac version come out as patch 1.0.0.2 or did it have a higher patch? From my talking to other players on the PC side, the first version sucked.

As for ambush...

1) Ghost Recon is hardly boring...expecially when you get the full game.

2) It isn't a "radar," it is a threat indicator. It has three layers...the outside layer turns red if there is gunfire in that general direction, the middle layer is yellow if a potential enemy is in that area, and the middle core area turns red when there is an enemy nearby.

3) The reticule is realistic...there is no way in hell that you can run and be accurate. The accuracy of the reticule also increases/decreases depending on the position that you are in (i.e. support weapons have highest accuracy if you are in the prone position, etc.)

4) It isn't a futuristic interface, it is modeled after the U.S. Army's "Land Warrior" combat system. Like a true soldier, you have to look away from your gun to check ou thte map for friendlies and foes.

5) It is only one shot/kill if you hit them in the upper chest or the head...all players have body armor and can take several hits.

6) Seeing your gun only messes around with the graphics and the gameplay...it is preferential and more efficient not to show a gun.

7) Yes, you can shoot tires, and yes they do deflate...they probably didn't incorporate that in the demo (for the Jeep in the middle of the castle)

Cool Why do you want to jump off of mountains?

Anyways, feel free to ask me stuff about Ghost Recon...it is a fun game and I predicted previously that it would bury RS if they did a good port job.

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 11:11:48 am »

a little technique i've found is to drop to a prone position when you encounter someone letting the reticual close quickly, and lessens the odds of being pwned.
The game requires alot more skill than RS, and i like it because of the respawns (i was a hard core UT/Q3er)
about the patch, aspyr's site said that it didn't want to delay the game to bring it up to the current PC version, and they are working on a patch.
also, if this game is so horible snipe...
its 2:15am, i'm mildly drunk, and there are 4 GHRD games, 1 GHR game and 0 rs games. I'm sure a few of you will get owned at GHR and stay with RS, much like bondo, ace and the RS/R6 saga.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 11:17:09 am by ?(uNt?Jeb » Logged

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2002, 12:21:04 pm »

I like this game very much. Because it isn't important which gun you have it is important which type of gun you have. That's very realistic. I also like the move positions.

In sp the game runs very good. I also hosted30 games in a row without a crash on my old imac. However with 20people on my server my screen freezes from time to time.

As I said in the main news in sp I can play it with medium details in mp I have to reduce it to low when I host.

About the interface yes I agree that it doesn't have a good overview I think it is no problem for everyone to get used to it after few.

The playmodes are unfortunaly very limited and I can't await to get the full version. Finally something a little bit different and the first game where I can really force the opponent to prone while using my saw muahhahahah.
Also the sniper gun is finally a very important gun.

Guys about the CQC it isn't a "police" game anymore. Now you are soldiers and so far it is very realistic. During my army time most fights were in a distance between 500 and 150metres. Only in Urban warfare and in trench systems you have CQCs.(Our Army defines CQC as every battle/fight within a radius of 30 metres)

Bye,

Mauti who has to do math for university...

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
*NADS Lo$eMoney

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2002, 12:27:39 pm »

At first I thought: WTF wheres my PDW? where the hell is the mini map? why aren't the unis different?  But then I started getting into the game, and I have to say I'm addicted.  There is no running around and strafeing eachother, not as much bs kills, no wall bugs (yet), no aimbots (lol), and the graphics are actually pretty enough to look at.  I'm definately going to buy the full version

Pushing the limits of acceptable human behaviour....
ambush
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2002, 05:38:12 pm »

GHR just isn't my type of game because I like action.
What I like is UrbanTerror 2.6: a cross of RS and Quake3.
anyways, for those who don't like GHR feel free to visit www.urbanterror.net if you have Quake3  ( it's a mod ). This game really pumps adrenaline because it's non stop.

I'd like to start a little Mac UrbanTerror community but everyone sticks with RS/R6/GHR on GR..
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2002, 07:28:20 pm »

the first three times i played, i was tked. then i began to timeout and warp all over the map. the game also lags on my comp, even on the lowest graphic settings. my main problem with the game is that it represents a further seperation from the fast pace of the original r6. yes, everyone will argue that it is more realistic, and i agree. however, i think that this realism makes the game more boring and frustrating and encourages camping. and yes, in my opinion, sniping by definition IS camping.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
Bondo
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2002, 09:20:00 pm »

Yes, I suppose the game allows even more for camping but I, who hated the slow pace of RS, think GR is actually an improvement.  I think the reason is that the maps are more open...it isn't just a bunch of rooms, it is open...sort of like MoHAA in that regard.  (It does have rooms but usually action is focused in a few big open areas).  I suppose it will be too much to ask that people don't camp...mb by restricting sniper rifles that could be done.  Still, I like the respawning, it keeps the action going.  Too bad players can't join during the game, that is the biggest problem now that games will usually take 10+ minutes.
BTs_Colin

Not Gorfs Brother

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2002, 01:25:52 am »

well the first thing i noticed was that it lags if more then one person is firing full auto

it actually runs quite well on my machine

i enjoy the army tactics ... maybe i can aquire a copy of the full version

i'm the DP facial when your searching for teen
Zomar
*DAMN

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2002, 02:35:26 am »

this game is amazing... yet my computer runs it like trash. the graphics look like r6's when i put it on low settings yet i am getting 1/3 the frame rate Sad. I could really get into this game, if i could run it with any efficiency .
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2002, 05:18:29 am »

If you have a computer that meets the system requirements, and a fast internet connection the full version is nothing to complain about. I hosted 16 today while keeping the framerate above 35. The interface is nice in my opinion, it doesn't lag like RS' did. the only thing that i don't like is that i can't lock teams, or put people on teams on the host.
Also, as far as the crashing goes, it seems that the longer my computer has been on the less GHR crashes. I've had my computer on for 33hours and my host made it 10 games without crashing.
Don' worry a patch is on its way (probly not for you demo sluts)

Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2002, 05:51:19 am »

I'm definately buying this game. It requires a lot more thinking than RS, and it's not as easy to get pwn3d in. As for camping, it's pretty easy to eliminate a camper, because of the threat indicator and the tracer fire. If it's a sniper shooting at you(no tracers in a sniper rifle), you just get behind a slope, take out your grenade launcher, and just start firing away in the direction the fire came from(shown as red triangles on your threat indicator). I think this game asks for a lot more teamwork than RS, so it'll be a lot more fun in CBs.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads