*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:13:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  *DAMN (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, BFG)
| | |-+  Clan Limits Part II - another aspect
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clan Limits Part II - another aspect  (Read 4077 times)
Po)| Murdurah
« on: September 23, 2004, 02:50:52 am »

I'm starting a new thread on a similar theme as the "Clan Limits" thread because there's another side to it that warrants discussion.

I don't think there are enough clans. We find it hard to find anyone to cb when we're on.

A possible solution? Clan member limits - say 8 members per clan. That way there would have to be more clans, and thus more games, and I think more fun.

Obviously this is a radical solution but I just think it might make sense. What do you all think?

Yours,
Murdurah
Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 03:19:47 am »

And by limiting the number of people in each clan, you're going to make it so that there aren't as many people from each clan on at the same time, which will ultimately result in a problem of enough clans, but not enough people per clan.

Also... this isn't a dictatorship. Clans should be allowed to have as many people as they want.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 03:23:11 am »

Big clans have their choice, having lots of members on at once as a benefit (quite a big one), or having unorganization or not knowing who is in your clan and who isn't.

Maybe suggest a 16-20 member limit, but I don't think those clans have that many active players anyway. 8 isn't even enough to keep up a strong clan.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 03:24:29 am »

some clans play more games than one... and therefore could need more players than only 8 (if they dont all play the different games and are not THAT active).

but hmm... u?re right... some clans are simply way too big, have no clanmember limit and that causes a lack of clans. a clanmember limit of 15 would be reasonable and i'd support it, for the good and activity of the league(s). a really good idea which just needs some thinking. Smiley

i hope it can be realized in the near future, maybe even for next season already.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 03:25:54 am by z][t-Civic? » Logged

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
cO.gabe

<< Auto Away Message >>

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:28:57 am »

Well my clan (:cO:.) has about 8 members.  The obvious problem that we have is getting everybody online and willing to cb at the same time.  It wasn't as much as a problem last season as it is this season - some of our members have school, etc.

Also, even if there are more clans, there are still the same # of overall people - which means it might not be any easier to find a cb since with smaller clans it will be less likely any particular one will have enough people on.

Side note - not sure how the transition would be made - would clans w/ more than 8 members just pick and choose who they want to be in the clan, and then boot the rest?  That wouldn't exactly be getting anyone any more friends if you know what I mean.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs... And I learned that I was a liar, just like you."
Aramarth
Forum Whore

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 03:45:22 am »

I considered trying out a clan size limit in a side ladder at one point. Technically, it should work and it is completely justified. Any given pro sports team has a "roster" which can only list so many players. A maximum number could be good, but I would feel obligated to place a minimum also.

In such a system, all the members would be obligated to cb nearly every time the clan did. In our old system, you could forget an inactive clan coming close to victory. With the sheep system, a sleepier clan could do quite well with some larger sheep stakes. This effect would even be mitigated, as there would be more clans.

As it stands now, you have maybe 15 opponents to choose from. If this change were to occur, you may have 30. With 30 clans, you have twice the chances to meet an opponent... so you don't really need to be on the same number of hours. This means, your clan can survive with fewer members.

I'll admit, it works on paper and has not been tested. I'm not sure we have anything to lose though. The idea could even be extended to incorporate a player trade system (using sheep and your own players as currency) and a salary cap, which would force clans with all-star lineups to share the wealth. Entirely new doors could be opened, if only clans could not hog 24 members to themselves while others struggle to cb once in a two week period.

Think about it! Wink
Y'all will hear from the Dev Dept. on this subject again to be sure.

The wOOt is your friend. Trust the wOOt.

The worst part of being an admin is trying to remember to color your text every time... Wink
I own the former VT supercomputer node 177 wOOt! http://www.tcf.vt.edu/
Incest
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 11:18:49 pm »

If clans were to be limited to their size, would it be a possibility that they could then divide the clan in two creating a 1st team and Reserves. Each clan can only say register a certain no. of players for each team. On the ladder they would appear to be two individual teams. Perhaps to even it out for teams that do not have such a "all star" line up the teams have to share the same points. If either looses they both loose.

just a weird thought.

Incest
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don&#039;t make me smack you.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 11:28:51 pm »

IMO.. If  clan wants to be a big clan so be it.. i find that most realy big clan self destruct after a while anyway. I say let that be up the the clan leaders.. plus then you got the members of the clan that dont realy play many cb's but have been withthe clan a long time.. but will play a cb if needed. A Clan should be first and formost about a group of friends who like playing together wether the member only plays in one cb that season or in all the cbs that season.. he is still a part of the clan.. i say no clan limits a all.. most clans have limits anyway within the clan itself.. or they only let in players tht they like to play with all the time. once a clan gets too big.. its hard to kee ptrack of what the members are doing and the clan either self destructs.. or the memeber start doing things against the rules and the whole clan get in trouble b/c the leader cant keep up with what his memeber are doing.

Djing isn&#039;t realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it&#039;s about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ&#039;s:they love it, they live for it.
Macuber

"GUSTATUS SIMILIS PULLUS"

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 09:31:37 am »

SNiPE.. your exactly right this isn't a dictatorship. Clans should be allowed to have as many people as they want. It has no bearing! If you can't find a clan to CB..well guess what..welcome to the real world..people do have lifes..work..school.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 09:35:05 am by *Macuber » Logged

"Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?"
thomas
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 12:38:37 pm »

says one from the clan with 30+ members... and still recruiting...
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 01:44:45 pm »

says one from the clan with 30+ members... and still recruiting...

your point being? and there is a difference between 30+ and 22 players... perhaps checking before posting might have been a good plan...

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
*E.Dowd

Who cares, it's just a game !!

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2004, 02:51:58 am »

Who cares ?? Too many people per clan, less CBs. Too many clans with too few members, less CBs. What comes first, the chicken or the ........you get the point.

Leave it alone.

*E.Dowd
thomas
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2004, 04:04:42 am »

lol... how nice... the clan with the most registered members rallies against this topic... hahaha, of course...

http://nrg-gamers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 05:34:44 am »

A roster of a clan is no ones business but the members of that clan. If you cant get members too bad. MP5 has 7 members all of which are active. Some clans with many more members are less active. It won't help activity to lower the # of clan members.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
*Pvt.Dinglebery
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 04:45:50 pm »

The assumption here is that those who are booted from the clan will form another, thereby giving the dbl more active clans.  I highly doubt that those 'reservists' from our clan that would be forced to leave would form another clan.  We're simply not online enough to sustain a clan.  The principle is flawed

pvt.dinglebery
<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 03:12:23 am »

I?m not sure about this clan limit thing. We recruit mainly based on friendships and the skill and availability of a player comes second to that. No way could we split our clan, we?re all too close to each other to even contemplate something like that. If you look at the number of players that have left our clan -that should be an indication in itself how close we are. A lot of our members are busy with studies, work and other activities, so it?s rare for us to have a lot of our members online at the same time. I know we are very selective ?probably more so than the larger clans, which allows us to have a solid team. Our clan wouldn?t reach 20, 30, 40 members in the near future, but regardless we don?t make a habit of kicking members from our clan full stop. I don?t know how to get around the fact that there a very few clans to challenge, but a limit wouldn?t work for us. Perhaps raising the stakes for the number of cb?s played?

Tigah  Wink

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 11:51:21 am »

Thomas lets put it nice and clear for you.

Nobody cares what your saying, firstly becasue you are obviously a dissatisfied clan member who is to scared to post under their proper accoutn, and secondly becuase you have no argument, and nobody cares.

There are hundreds and hundreds of GhR players who are not in clans, they vastly outweigh the number of guys in clans

and lastly for some of us the clan is not just about participating in *DAMN - the clan came first and then participating in *DAMN came second.

Po)| Murdurah
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:01 am »

I hear all of your points, it's true, clan limits would be a drag for many reasons, and frankly I'd rather not have any limits at all.

My problem, as I said in the first post, is that there aren't enough clans to play against. Do you guys think there is a solution to this problem? How can we attract more people? Are GR players a dying breed?

And let me ask this - has there been a steady decline in number of clans since the ladders inception?

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom guy here, nor am I pointing any fingers: I just love playing cb's and I feel like there used to be more games going around.

Murd.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 02:48:06 pm »

I think we aren't going to see any new strong and productive GhR Clans arrive now given the range of games and the age of the game... and although we see lots of new clans form each season they don't last a season (somtimes less) and tend to have not even a handfull of players who are just by no means as active as older more established clans.

Id guess that if GhR2 turned up that would go out the window and we would see another great big change... But where lots of folk said that the arrival of RvS would mean the death of GhR it hasn't and i don't think it will, not just because of the game requirements etc but more fundamentally because they are two completely different games. GhR2 is probably the only thing that can replace the popularity of GhR in my mind at the moment if the gameplay and style of the game is not extensivly tampered with!

*E.Dowd

Who cares, it's just a game !!

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 10:44:41 pm »

Good point BFG

It is the games age that is slowing the CBs down, not too few clans with to many players.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 10:52:13 pm by *E.Dowd » Logged

*E.Dowd
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads