*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:15:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  New 2.7Ghz G5s
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New 2.7Ghz G5s  (Read 4754 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: April 26, 2005, 06:31:42 pm »

Not the biggest upgrade ever! Sad

Amazon also has listed pages for the new dual 2.0 Ghz & dual 2.3 Ghz machines with the following specs:

Mac OS X10.4, code named Tiger
Dual 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processors
512 MB of DDR SDRAM
160 GB hard drive
16x Dual Layer SuperDrive (CD/DVD+RW)

Mac OS X10.4, code named Tiger
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors
512 MB of DDR SDRAM
250 GB hard drive
16x Dual Layer SuperDrive (CD/DVD+RW)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:03:44 pm by BFG » Logged

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:26:46 pm »

Where's my damn Dual 3 though!!...arrrr

BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:38:18 pm »

Where's my damn Dual 3 though!!...arrrr

That's what I'm screaming too.  Guess it will be another 6 months before I upgrade my G5.  Sad

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 02:52:18 pm »

Whats wrong with a 2.7ghz GS. Thats a full 1ghz faster then the machine you have now. That is a dramatic increase in power.

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 02:55:18 pm »

Whats wrong with a 2.7ghz GS. Thats a full 1ghz faster then the machine you have now. That is a dramatic increase in power.

Well, .9 GHz faster...but who's counting?  Wink

Something just sounds incredibly shmexy about a dual-3.0GHz G5.  Call me crazy, but I'm holding out for my dream!
   Grin

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:06:30 pm »

Me to GS me to... that big 3.0 is the one im watching for... only 300Mhz to go and i know it can't be that far along! Cheesy

So they have released the new macs 'officially' now... What i want to know (btw duel layer DVD burners now Cheesy ) is what the hell is the ATI 6950 256 DDR Card? Where the hell did it come from and why the hell is the numbering in reverse - more powerful that the 9800?  EH? WHAT?!

ps... flat screen monitors are cheaper as well Cheesy about £500 for the 20inch model... god i would love on of those screens

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 07:18:29 pm »

Woohoo, I'm really excited to see Apple reach 3GHz in 2007!  That'll be too cool!  Lips Sealed

what the hell is the ATI 6950 256 DDR Card? Where the hell did it come from and why the hell is the numbering in reverse
Mmm?  You mean 9650?  Numbers aren't reversed; it's more like 9600 + 50.

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 07:32:11 pm »

oops typo Smiley

Ok so a top of the line ATI card in the mac is now a 9650?  ... we had the 9000,9200, 9700 9800, 9800pro etc.. and then the X800 as the top of the line ATI card... So what the hell is going on when the top spec G5 now comes with a 9650?!  ... its a 256mb card and it has support for the 30inch display but i can't find any info on it!

re the 'number reversing' - well i was kinda expecting the top macs to now have a 9900 pro or somthing - or rather a X900  ...

|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 07:35:46 pm »

Well, apple just released their new baby!!  The new and hopefully improved G5.  One bad thing is that they took out the dual 2.5's which kind of sucks b/c I was hoping they keep them b/c they would be cheaper, but of course apple thought of that to force peeps to get the new 2.7, damn apple!! See now they have the new 2.3 G5, why they do this? do peeps can see the difference in performance b/w the 2.7 and the 2.3 or less, but not much of a noticeable difference from the 2.5.  grrrrr  Angry

Also, they have the new dual layered burning superdrive, guess its kind of cool for those that will utilize it, i can see the benefits, but who here will really neeed that?  And, it is still liquid cooled, nice.

The King of Pistoleros
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 08:22:48 pm »

I just like the fact that it ships default with a 256MB card... Grin

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 08:43:27 pm »

It sounds like the 9650 is pretty much a 9600 that's able to drive the 30" monitors.  The X800 is still ATI's top-end card for the Mac (though I don't think it's available through Apple).

Seems strange that Apple removed the 9800XT from the list of choices, since that was a nice card that wasn't as expensive as NVIDIA's GeForce 6800.  There's really no in-between option anymore.  Hmm.

.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 08:49:13 pm »

Seems strange that Apple removed the 9800XT from the list of choices, since that was a nice card that wasn't as expensive as NVIDIA's GeForce 6800.  There's really no in-between option anymore.  Hmm.

Its because the 9650 is a card made specifically for the Mac and they want to make sure that all the cards get used that were ordered in bulk from ATI. If there were an option to get a 9800xt in the new G5 everyong would opt for that and apple would be stuck with a crap load of mid range video cards that are only compatible with tthe G5. Damn Corporate Americas and there strategic thinking.  Angry

Adult Gamers Alliance
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 08:51:01 pm »

Well Cobra there is still the 9800Pro .. although it will be interesting to see the exact specs of the 9650 and how it compares to the other cards. Tis a bit annoying though Sad

God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 08:56:29 pm »

N e e d . . .

M o n e y !

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 12:28:19 am »

BFG, the top end computers have never shipped with the highest end of cards before. I don't see what there is to complain about. You can of course still buy your X800s from a local mac store. When was the last time you saw a PC with a 1.35GHz FSB?

It would seem my G5 has become just a little cheaper... Sad I still can't imagine anything being more powerful then my Rev A. So 2.7GHz sounds crazy fast.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 06:57:19 am »

You can of course still buy your X800s from a local mac store. When was the last time you saw a PC with a 1.35GHz FSB?

Myst...(edited my own sarcasim as to not spawn flames) why dont you do some research on the AMD processors and you will find that there FSB's are right in line with MAC.

Adult Gamers Alliance
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 01:13:55 pm »

Good for them, but I consider AMD worse than intel. Why don't you stop being a PC noob and realize it's Mac (short for Macintosh) not MAC.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 01:37:43 pm »

Before this drops any further into a bitch fest could we go back on topic?

Apart from the great new duel layer DVD drives (going to make backing up big projects so much more convenient, not to mention HD etc ) Its great to see apple finally pushing some extra ram in their comps - surprisingly though in the form of GPU ram! - i guess this is an effort to really maximize on Core Image in Tiger

Also is the PC3200 DDR SDRAM that the new G5s are packing faster than previous models?

ps voodoo - is this dual-independent frontside busses running at aprox 1.35GHz? - or is it just in SP configurations? 

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 03:48:43 pm »

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504newg5.html

Interesting info regarding the next revisions of the G5's and the much anticipated Duel Core Chips (that apparently still havn't made it to production damn it  Angry )

Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 05:04:43 pm »

Its great to see apple finally pushing some extra ram in their comps - surprisingly though in the form of GPU ram! - i guess this is an effort to really maximize on Core Image in Tiger
Yeah, as well as offering a much cheaper solution for people wanting to use those monster 30" monitors (add $50 from a 9600 to a 9650, or add $500 from a 9600 to a 6800 Ultra). 

Also is the PC3200 DDR SDRAM that the new G5s are packing faster than previous models?
Nope.  That's the same RAM I have in my G5 from last fall.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads