*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:00:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Next iMac Rev - What Graphics Card?
Poll
Question: Well what card do you think Apple will updgrade the iMac with?
NVIDIA 5200 Ultra 64MB (same) - 1 (11.1%)
NIVIDA 5200 Ultra 128MB (optional upgrade) - 1 (11.1%)
NVIDA 6600 (GT) 128MB - 3 (33.3%)
ATI X300 64MB or 128MB - 1 (11.1%)
ATI X600 or 9600 (128MB) - 2 (22.2%)
There will a option on cards (specify with post) - 1 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next iMac Rev - What Graphics Card?  (Read 3826 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: March 12, 2005, 06:11:33 pm »

Reported by Think Secret and AI, there is a expected update in April featuring 2.0 GHz max and 8X superdrives standard in highend. There are may chips that Apple could have access to, so which do you think it will be?

(I personally think it will be a 6600 or a ATI X300 with 128MB)

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 06:29:10 pm »

They have to give a 128MB card with it, just not sure which one.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:23:01 pm »

ATI X300 would mean Apple will introduce PCI Express and drop AGP. It would be a logical move but unfortunaly I don't see Apple adding any valuable graphic cards per default. Well you have my hope to see some graphic power under the hood of the new iMac.

night,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 12:34:30 am »

ATI X300 would mean Apple will introduce PCI Express and drop AGP. It would be a logical move but unfortunaly I don't see Apple adding any valuable graphic cards per default. Well you have my hope to see some graphic power under the hood of the new iMac.

night,

Mauti

Thus far PCIe offers no advantage expect arrogance and money for card makers. The fact remains that we haven't even maxed out the AGP 4X interface. Closing quote:

"We all been playing those mind games forever"

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:38:55 am »

Indeed, that's nothing new that we even don't use the AGP 4 at it's max. Of course it's always about making money.

Why optimizing games, when you can sell new graphic cards! That's a nobrainer - The sad story is that the community plays the game, so there is no reason why anything should change anytime soon.

since 13th June 2000
Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:57:06 am »

I hope its good since once the imacs upgrade I'm getting one.

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 12:59:09 am »

... think we've got to be kidding ourselfs if anyone is really expecting a 128MB card in the imacs for the moment - 64mb yes, 128 no.

and like mauti said, why optimise a game when you can make people buy a new comp and graphics card etc... the coding in these things are becoming bigger and bulkier and sloppier, but as long as the CPU's and GPU's keep getting faster and faster nobodies going to do anything about it!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:38:57 am »

I'm thinking about taking a larger sum of money for student loans later this year to get a new computer just for myself. Should I get a top of the line G5 Powerbook assuming they are out then, or a top of the line G5 iMac. I could use the powerbook to say go down to the coffee shop to do reports and down gallons of coffee to stay awake. Or I could do that at home and still game a good bit with an imac.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 01:50:59 am »

Actually Mauti/BFG, game makers do not profit from graphic card sales. They hardly even profit for having a made for ATI sign. They profit from selling games to a large audience. They aren't stupid enough (though recent game plots would suggest otherwise) to ruin their game sales because they think they could influence the sales of a unrelated company.

I personally believe they will offer a base 64 card and like PBs have a little BTO option for adding to 128.

John Lennon
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 01:55:46 pm »

Not directly Myst but indirectly - In the past not once card manufactors have advertised their graphic cards with games and that they run much better on their cards than on any other. So you can assume that they support game developers to built in special features only one card company can use. Further they don't sacrifice sales because the game still runs on many PCs just not with all features.

Last but not least the essence of my first post was that game developers don't have to care about optimizations for older or medium range cards, if people always buy the latest hardware and upgrade. If they want all features maxed out they should buy the new graphic card. If not they have to live with the medium settings. They don't waste any money making optimizations so that it also runs on the older cards with all features maxed out although it would be possible.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 03:52:55 pm »

Again not true. They don't built in features for the cards to take advantages of. However, Direct x on the PC side (the superior to our Open GL) has features built into it that only some cards have the technology to reach. The game developers will optimize for cards 2, some even 3 years old. People still hold there Geforce 5700/5900 ultras in great esteem. Examples of cards I think would not be support, say, the Radeons 8500-9100. Any cards newer than that will still have full support from game devs. It was just a year or two ago that ATI Rage cards were still being recognized.

John Lennon
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 04:03:18 pm »

With features I mean graphical features like bump mapping, or partical effects, anti aliasing, ATI and NVIDIA often have a different approach how to achieve some specific effects and you can observe that some game developers prefer/support one company more and realise such features better or exclusive depends on the graphical feature not gamewise features.

And what do you mean with again not true.Sorry but both are straight facts. Just read some game magazines, in interviews often developers praise one card company and speak about the special features they have built in to take exclusive use of the latest bunch of their cards...

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 04:08:37 pm »

The features you mention are features the developers choose to implement from direct x. As I said in my previous post these features are handled differently depending on the card and how it interacts with the Direct X interface. When they say "they have built in to take exclusive use of the latest bunch of their cards... " they mean exactly what I said previous to this sentence. Cards are being upgraded constantly to increase their firmware abilities. Unfortunately we don't get many upgrades on mac... in fact most of the time they downgrade performance.

John Lennon
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 04:41:40 pm »

Of course bump mapping and such things are implemented in direct 3D and Open GL but how you gonna add and use it is the question. Here ATI and Nvidia often implement some tweaks how to get it done well or better.

However this doesn't add anything to the topic and what we do here is nothing else than splitting hairs...
at all I guess we mean the same.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:27:52 am »

http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/software/ATIcceleratorII.html

Now i know some guys tried this (or more likely version one) a long while ago and they posted the restults... just wondering if anyone had tried using it and what the responce was like? problem is i know its not my graphics card that is holding me up... its the bloody system bus that can't keep up.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Civrock

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 12:30:34 am »

ohhh, i gotta try this app now that i have an ATi card.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 12:38:45 am »

http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/software/ATIcceleratorII.html

Now i know some guys tried this (or more likely version one) a long while ago and they posted the restults... just wondering if anyone had tried using it and what the responce was like? problem is i know its not my graphics card that is holding me up... its the bloody system bus that can't keep up.

I believe I remember Typhy saying he tried one of these accelerator cards a while back and ended up frying his Video Card.  So you might want to be careful.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Maniac

kill them all!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 01:10:50 am »

Haha yes i got a good laugh that night.

-MP5- season X winners RvS Team.
Civrock

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 01:19:38 am »

there are some good suggestions and experiences from other users on that site for all kinds of mac configurations. i won't go near the approximate limits anyways...

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 01:19:52 am »

Lesson from typhy: do not set to 200%

John Lennon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads