*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:08:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Kern_protection_failure" .... ahh not good news then  (Read 2982 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: April 21, 2004, 12:52:02 pm »

Take a moment and join me on my magical tour of my damn f*cking computer. A couple of days ago after a powerfailure and a whole load of cock ups my computer became extreamly unhealthy.. A fast back up followed and since then a new hard drive has arrived and a clean system has been installed! All was going well... Untill i got to re-installing some of my programs. And ive hit a brick wall.

Adobe PhotoshopCS... Probably my most used program. I can't work with out it. And which program decided it was going to play funny bugger with me? u guessed.

The install goes smoothly - the log seems fine. and everything is hunky dorey. Then when i go to launch the app... the icon bounces a few times in the dock and then disapears. Not even a whiff of a "unexpecidly quit" message... nothing... zip. nil. zero.

So a quick rumage around in my Consol logs produced the following:

Command: Adobe Photoshop CS
Path:    /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS/Adobe Photoshop CS.app/Contents/MacOSClassic/Adobe Photoshop CS
Version: Huh (Huh)
PID:     451
Thread:  0

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

now this is an app ive been running for years on this comp... the system seems fine, checks have brought up nothing other than a few file permissions being 501 rather than 0. and ive tried installing this thing about 8 times now... each time wiping everything from the previous install.

Could somebody help me before i knock myself out on the doorway again like last night?!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 01:17:43 pm »

Is it a Classic app? If so, did you reinstall OS 9?

Otherwise, have you tested your RAM? Take the DIMMs out, swap them around, etc.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 01:20:24 pm »

OMG...IT'S...AAAALIIIIIIIVE!!!! and now it is out for revenge after all those times you hammered the keys after not being able to shoot that exact moment, or the failure to burn that "damn" DVD which you have to deliver in Cardiff early next morning.

So, if it has come alive, are you in your rights to clean up your hard drive and all the apps, which makes up the basis of your comps sentient life?

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
onwig

geeza!

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:35:06 pm »

ok... isnt adobe photoshop cs the latest photosop version, which is osx only (i think)... if it is CS... its only been out 6-12 months...  has it installed in the classic applications folder because it needs to be in the osx applications folder?

other than that no idea.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 01:43:33 pm »

Note that it's running an executable it finds within the MacOSClassic directory in the Photoshop package. That led me to the you-haven't-installed-Classic line of inquiry. Also, EXC_BAD_ACCESS exceptions are caused by an app trying to access bad memory or memory that it doesn't have permission to access. That could mean that it IS a Classic app and is trying to access a nonexistent Classic installation, or it could mean that some of his RAM has gone bad, which led me to the test-your-RAM line of inquiry.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 01:49:42 pm »

Ok. Yep firstly its a OSX only app and its running on a OSX only system ( i havn't got classic or OS9 installed at all)

Ran hardware checks - (including the ram) and it found no problems.

I did wonder about the osclassic thingy... but its a osx apponly.. and i have no os9 why has it suddenly got confused... it didnt complain a few months ago!

onwig

geeza!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:53:45 pm »

classic environment is part of the osx system, i didnt think you had a choice not to install it. And i am sure you will have two application folder's in you Mac HD... if you havent I apologise for saying this twice.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 02:09:14 pm »

Well ty guys so far for your efforts...

Yep sorry wig, i have classic but it can't run as i have no os9 system (don't have a os9 system folder or anything either...

Ahhh wonder if this has anything to do with the fact when i formated the drives i didn't install os9 drivers for it? ... no wait it can't do, i didn't beofre and it worked fine.

Hmm hang on.. i can access my classic settings from the system folder etc.. but of course it dosn't run becasue of the lack of os9 system. What on earth does it want!

Funny thing is its not just photoshop... Imageready and illustrator do almost exactly the same thing
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x26ba156a

.... my head hurts.

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 02:26:40 pm »

I don't suppose you formatted the drives using UFS? I can't really see you doing that, but if by some chance you did, that probably explains the problem.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:51:28 pm »

Its formated: Journaled HFS+  

A little more detail from the crash log:

Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   WebAccessUtils.dll             ???0x002d0a74 0x287000 + 0x49a74
1   WebAccessUtils.dll             ???0x0029a604 0x287000 + 0x13604
2   WebAccessUtils.dll             ???0x0029a670 0x287000 + 0x13670
3   WebAccessUtils.dll             ???0x0028a574 0x287000 + 0x3574
4   WebAccessUtils.dll             ???0x002c7e58 0x287000 + 0x40e58
5   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore ???0x902c1544 InitializeOneConnection + 0x1f8
6   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore ???0x902d008c InitializeConnections + 0x88
7   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore ???0x902b8acc PrepareClosure + 0x16c
8   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore ???0x902cfc50 PCFragPrepareClosureByName + 0x12c
9   ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore ???0x902d9d14 CCFM_LaunchApplication + 0x188
10  com.adobe.Photoshop            ???0x00008840 main + 0x168
11  com.adobe.Photoshop            ???0x00008408 _start + 0x188
12  com.adobe.Photoshop            ???0x0000827c start + 0x30

Thanks for this loth. much appreciated
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 03:17:07 pm by :MoD: BFG » Logged

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 03:07:42 pm »

Just thought.... as most of this problem all started when we suffered a power cut... whether that links in with what u were saying loth about the RAM... I did hardware checks and according to that the RAM was ok...

Its slightly worrying though... It shouldn't be a software problem as it was fine before and nothign has changed... not to mention the disk was wiped and reformatted before putting a clean system on. so that shoudl be fine.

Hardware checks passed on each stage...

onwig

geeza!

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 03:16:07 pm »

you could try actually removing any extra ram if you have any... just incase that hardware test is missing something
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 03:36:11 pm »

Yep just have done...actually only have one chip now but i took it out... and popped it back in again.

the result? Absolutly the same god damn bloody message.

going to try doing an install of 10.2 on a diff partition and seeing if i can run photoshop 7 on it or somthing.

BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 03:40:28 pm »

Just do what I would do if my Mac ever started acting up.....

BUY A NEW MAC!   Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 04:40:23 pm »

lol ty ghost... don't quite feel like chucking this one away though quite yet just cos it suddenly hasn't got a taste for Adobe... But the G5s do look very nice Wink

Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2004, 05:06:19 pm »

I have to agree with GS there....because if your machine has gotten sentient then it is by definiton life, and therefore should be preserved as any living creature.

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2004, 07:10:01 pm »

AARGH!

ok. so. I wipe a partition of one of the HD's, install 10.3 Now before anything else i install Photoshop... and what do i get? Same bloody message!!

so... well i took the ram chip out... Ive wiped my hard drive... apart from... from... from.. What do i do!

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2004, 10:50:50 pm »

Zap the PRAM. I honestly don't see how there could be a connection between the PRAM and this problem, but PRAM zapping is a workhorse repair technique, like rebuilding the desktop used to be. Restart the machine while holding down Command-Option-P-R, and continue holding all the keys until the machine has restarted at least four to six times or until the screen flashes a strange color on powerup.

BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2004, 11:58:18 pm »

Believe it or not.. you can rebuild the desktop in OS X as well.. you just need a 3rd party app to do it.. but it does not do as much to solv prob like it did in os 9.

I have fixed alot of prob by zapping my pram.. might work. BFG.. i have had this prob w/ some of my other app off and on.. ill install it 8 diff times untill to starts working.. dunno y.. but it does... do you have the latest updated ver from the developer?? They might have had some probs installing in one of the new mac updates or something and they might be able to help you.

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2004, 01:03:08 am »

Thankyou guys, yeah.

yep although apparently under OSX the pram dosn't do the same stuff - just looks after the clock time etc.. but its worht a try.

didn't realise u could rebuild desktop in X... will have to try it.

Yeah i had a look for some updates incase i had some conflict... but there are none. and my system hasn't really changed since i last had to install.

better go zap my ram and build a desktop Wink

ps.. harvey what do u suggest app wise for rebuilding the desktop?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 01:04:26 am by :MoD: BFG » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads