*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:42:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  "Error of type 3"
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "Error of type 3"  (Read 2065 times)
Flame

« on: September 10, 2002, 11:43:48 pm »

My RS can't start because whenever I try to open it it says it couldn't be opened due to an error of type 3. Does anyone have the same problem and what should I do?

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 11:47:44 pm »

Standard troubleshooting procedure: delete RS's preferences. If that does not fix it, delete them again and reinstall RS. If that does not fix it, rebuild your desktop. If that does not fix it, zap your PRAM. If that does not fix it, do a clean reinstall of OS 9.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 01:33:22 am »

What Loth said, but I would try rebuilding the desktop before reinstalling RS. It doesn't take much time and may spare you the trouble of reinstalling RS. Of course, usually it's the preferences that are causing the problems like this from what I have seen.

I'm curious as to what Type 3 is. Maybe it has something to do with the memory (just a shot in the dark) Try setting RS to give it some really high amount of memory and see if that solves the problem.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 02:45:44 am »

ID=03 Illegal Instruction
The computer has a specific vocabulary of machine language instructions it can understand. If a computer tries to execute an instruction that isn't in its vocabulary, you see this error code. It's less likely than error 02, but still very common.
     From Apple Error Codes.

I recommended reinstalling RS because RS will start dying if even one bit is out of place (freaking piece of crap worst programmed game ever muttermuttergrumble), so if it's not the preferences, I take the fifteen minutes to reinstall it. ::shrug::

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 03:08:32 am »

(freaking piece of crap worst programmed game ever muttermuttergrumble)

Obviously you never played (and therefore crashed) R6...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Flame

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 12:04:52 am »

FUCK!!! I deleted my prefs, reinstalled RS, rebuilt my desktop, and still TYPE 3 ERROR, except now its between type 2, type 3 and sometimes type 10 or somthing. How do you zap your PRAM and will it screw anything up? I really don't wanna reinstall os9 because I already did that. Ill see what happens if I upgrade to 9.2?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2002, 01:18:17 am »

Hold down command-option-p-r on startup. It will cause a restart. Continue to hold it down through at least three to five restarts. It will destroy some preferences, although not very many (Apple has been moving away from storing stuff in the PRAM, it seems).

*DAMN Silent Killer
*DAMN
Forum Whore

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2002, 01:45:29 am »

hmmm so you deleted prefs reinstalled and zaped pram?

is your disk scratched

Qotes of the week!
?TF6*Kilzo!: I just watched sk own him, and typhy gave up
Flame

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2002, 02:05:01 am »

First, I didn't zap PRAM. Second, I got it to work. I had to upgrade to 9.2.1, but I lost my words. Like in RS when you type in a d, you only see a o. Or during a game you type a ! and you don't see it?
Anyways, I never knew that RS didn't work on 9.1?

WeaSelFlinK
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2002, 11:37:42 am »

... Anyways, I never knew that RS didn't work on 9.1?
Now that's interesting. Luckily enough, I'm in OS9.0.4. ::evil laugh::  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2002, 11:41:00 am by BeefyFigure » Logged
[[EUR]] HoloGram

Don't worry be happy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2002, 12:49:48 pm »

then it must be your Mac. On my old mac RS and OS 9.1 worked as well as it does on OS 9.2. Btw It works best on OS 8.6! When u want max peformance the use OS 8.6 for RS.

veni, vidi, vici
#SKUL Mr. President (Founder & Leader)
jn.loudnotes
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

I'm tired of being creative.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2002, 08:57:34 pm »

Ace, r6 wasn't nearly as buggy as RS is.

And also, I've also noticed that running RS in 9.2 the text is a little funky.  The beginning of each line is cut off a little.  So when you see the scores, for example, 0 kills looks like ) kills.

< insert clever and original signature here >
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2002, 09:18:42 pm »

The problem with the text being cut off is a known bug with ATI cards and RS, and the RS Utility in the Tools folder has an option designed to fix it. It's "Use Packed Pixels," I believe. Just toggle it, and that should do it.

Ace
Resident Ass
God bless the freaks

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 05:58:07 am »

Ace, r6 wasn't nearly as buggy as RS is.

I haven't played much in RS, but from what I have noticed it doesn't crash as much (especially for the host.) This was my only real complaint about R6 being buggy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads