*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:04:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I'M AN NEW GHR GAMER IN NEED OF SOME COUNSEL  (Read 4452 times)
-ViP-PUNiSHER
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 07:22:53 am »

Actually No

AOL uses a proxy server that makes it appear as if all users are coming from a single IP address. AOL's proxy servers are located in Reston, Virginia which means your tracing an IP address to that location.

Maybe you should go here and read about people who have had the same issue tracking the same IP address for different users.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5062-same-ip-addresses---p-1.html
http://www.computing.net/webdevel/wwwboard/forum/1174.html
http://webmaster.info.aol.com/proxyinfo.html

cO.libre

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 07:29:25 am »

pwnt.

cO.libre - The Chosen Ones<br />www.thechosenones.us
DarK.
God bless the freaks

Forum's Evil Side

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 08:15:17 am »

Well, that seems to settle things, sorry that I doubted you PUN[/size]

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics... Even if you win, you are still retarded.
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 07:51:59 pm »

She's a witch!

---How do you know she is a witch?

She turned me into a newt!

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 08:29:14 pm »

Well I didn't notice this thread earlier, but technically wise Pun is completely right!

If you or your ISP uses a Proxy everyone of us could use the same IP address by using the same Proxy: you send a http request to the proxy server - the proxy server then asks with his IP for the http request and fetches it and then sends it back to the requester.

There are a lot of free Proxy servers and it seems AOL also uses an proxy server for its own network.

Proxy servers are usually used to hide your identity or to circumvent IP bans on forums ;-)

Punisher don't take such accusations too serious especially if you know it can only be a mistake.

For all others you can find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 09:06:51 pm »

All i asked was a simple question which just needed a simple reply. I keep an eye on IPs etc becasue we do get people posting as 'guests' and we have in the past had problems with multiple accounts etc from the same house in different clans etc.

Folk don't need to grab the pitchforks and torches, sorry i wasn't about before to clarify but i was away on work!!

Thanks for the clarification Punisher, much appreciated and apologies if i was a bit hot of the blocks, after the last lot of hassle we had i probably jumped the gun a bit!! Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 09:24:48 pm by BFG » Logged

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 09:27:54 pm »

@ BFG: and it's a good thing that you do such things, because yes especially Rapid made us laugh often about his "guest" postings ;-), but well we didn't need an IP therefor to be honest.

So Pun everything is alright, just stay calm, we are just doing our jobs. So maybe we could go back and answer Silos06 question.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 09:34:26 pm »

Rgr that Mauti just doin me jobb Wink  Hehe funny Rapid, and not the only one either, for instance i've found another certain individual on here after being banned, not to mention that incident we had before with a group of brothers Wink

Yeeeap, so like i said before though, Silos can you please clarify the problem your having so we can try and assist?

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
RoeM

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 02:47:49 am »

You guys are going to give me a heart attack one of these days! I'm fragile
WeedWacker

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 02:54:23 am »

IPs ARE what identify people online, dynamic or not. Two people, even if it's the same ISP respectively especially if it's the same ISP, can't have the same IP for quite a long amount of time. They're connected to a so-called hostname which always stays the same for a household, even if the IP changes. Also,  dynamic IPs are assigned with certain ranges for certain areas, and the distance of how far Punisher and Musk_Melon live away from each other according to their GR profiles... is nonsense.

Can you cite a reference that backs up what you are saying as it seems incorrect.

WeedWacker's guarantee:  "if I don't kill you within 3 shots, the next one's free."
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 05:09:26 am »

It's not incorrect, it's common technology of ALL broadband ISPs, and most dial-up providers. I didn't know that AOL does such bullshit with their customers and routes them via same connections and proxies, no wonder they're not reliable and have bad performance. There are several security aspects that disallow such "services", i.e. to prevent occurrences as in this case, but apparently AOL has an exception. Funny how they always advertise with it... security, yadda yadda yadda. So anyway, technically, what I said is correct. It's the same connection, but not household.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 05:22:40 pm »

I DOWNLOADED GAMER RANGER TO FIND SOME GAMES ONLINE FOR GHR. THE ACTIVATION LINK THAT THEY SENT FAILS TO LOAD. DOES ANYONE KNOW A LINK. WHAT TO DO?Huh??

I guess this is a typical AOL problem (since we found out that you're most probably an AOL user), that's why many websites which send activation links additionally add special ones for AOL users. Try to copy the link (select it and press Apple+C) and paste it into the URL field of your browser (press Apple+V for that). That should work. It might be that the activation link expired by now, not sure... but if that's the case, just re-register via the GameRanger application, activate your account, log in and have fun.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
RoeM

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2005, 02:37:55 am »

What a great thread for a newbie gamer to get a taste of what its like to play in this league nowadays
 lol

-Hide the broomstix-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads