*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:08:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!) (Moderator: *DAMN Hazard)
| | |-+  What needs to be tweaked in GhR?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What needs to be tweaked in GhR?  (Read 5520 times)
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« on: March 27, 2003, 04:44:03 am »

Hey, ya'll. I've long been dissatisfied with the fit and polish of many of the Ghost Recon weapons, from the weak-ass pistol to the wildly firing OICW. Let's have ourselves a gripe-fest. Which little weapon annoyances annoy you the most?

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 09:14:18 am »

Definitive automatic grenade launchers and all the weapons that freeze my screen for some milliseconds when they get fired.

But the most annoyance has nothing to do with weapons:

Before you die you always freeze for a sec or so and that's total bs.

Enough flaming.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
TRIBE_Horda

www.tribeclan.fr.st

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 10:13:51 pm »

well beside oicw and sab80 all others weap sux
snipers havnt a great sight

i tried bizon 9 mm for fun, not good as sab or oicw

sad

weapons need to be adjusted

----[TRIBE]Clan----
http://www.tribeclan.fr.st
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 12:13:48 am »

THE PISTOLS!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, FIX THE PISTOLS!

other than that, i think the m16 needs a better zoom(add a bout half of what it has now and that should be good)
that minor glitch with the bolt action rifles(uoi know what i'm talking about loth) and the models so that you cant ditch glitch

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
PsYcO aSsAsSiN
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

A blast from the past...

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 10:39:26 pm »

The pistols are actually exaclty what they need to be - the 9mm round will never penetrate kevlar or ceramic armor. Also, why use a pistol when cqc will neve rbcome a factor, and if it does, open up with a rifle.

For the OICW, change rate of fire to single round or three round burst and that will solve your accuracy issues.

The major thing that needs to be tweaked are all of the glitches in the maps - there are at least 2-3 biggies on each map.

Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon/Raven Shield/America's Army/XBOX 360: Mighty Bruin

-retired- (MIA 6/17/02)
Hasta la vista, baby!  Embarrassed
Co-Leader, clan PsYcO.

Clan PsYcO - 11/01/00 - 02/08/02
R.I.P. Grifter
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 11:30:18 pm »

Unfortunately, there ain't jack nor shit I can do about models or level geometry. All I can do is fiddle with the weapons. I'm currently working on a mod (called the |MP| * mod, where * hasn't been decided yet, heh) which cleans up the weapons, making them more useful and hopefully more realistic. It fixes things such as: the highly-trained Ghost soldiers not being able to control an OICW while firing, the M-16 being completely and utterly useless, and the pistols' reticules being so slow that the only explanation is that the pistols weigh 50 pounds.

So if there's any specific gripes you have with any weapon or weapons, let me know.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
Valdar

Only the best

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 12:37:12 am »

I think the OICW is fine enough the way it is. I would not expect any gun on full auto to be very accurate. If you improve the reticule, then you will just make one of the best weapons even better and there will be even fewer reasons to pick up the m4 or sa80.  

If you really must improve the reticule, then take off some of the oicw's zoom.
Jeb
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

i heart ghostsniper's austrian wife

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 05:15:00 am »

if you make it easier for other people, how will skilled pwners like myself earn screenshots?  Grin

No sig pics please! - Mauti
Next time you get a ban, Jeb.
|?K|*R@p1d*: i mean, i'm like the worst rs player ever
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 02:10:03 pm »

IMO, the OICW is the best weapon because all the others suck so much. My intent is to raise the bar on all the weapons so that many more of them become viable choices. You're right, guns are hard to control on full auto. Even so, the inaccuracy of the OICW is just inexcusable. Even on three-round burst, which in real life is used to (generally speaking) fire a relatively closely-spaced spread to maximize firepower, the GhR OICW is so inaccurate that even 40-50 meters from your target, the rounds' impact points have meters of space between them. It's not only unrealistic, it's plain stupid. I have no intention of making all the guns perfectly accurate, because that's just as unrealistic. But our elite-soldier avatars should be able to use these weapons better than, say, a six-year old girl would.

If nobody has feedback, I'm just gonna do my own thing anyway. I'm just asking so that if there's something you'd specifically like to see corrected, you can bring my attention to it now rather than after the fact.

core.C o k e

Spanker 1st Class

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2003, 12:03:14 pm »

Good idea Lothario,
ill keep an eye on this thread will you post that you've done the mod when its finished?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2003, 11:06:58 am »

Sure thing. : )

I'm working on the mod in sporadic bursts. The mod is currently at version 0.1.5 (I'll be bumping it up to 0.2 soon). Here's what I've done so far: tweaked every gun in the game except the support guns (I never use them, so I'm not sure what to tweak and how much), which includes across-the-board accuracy and reticule speed improvements (some greater than others, for purposes of balancing) and most guns received zoom upgrades as well. Specific highlights include: MP5s are now far more controllable and have 2.5x zooms instead of the 1.5x they had originally, and the MP5SD no longer shoots tracers. The M-16 now has a 5.1x zoom instead of 2x, which met with great approval from the playtesters.
     I've enabled the AK-74 SU and added or enabled the following pistols: Colt 1911, Desert Eagle .357 and .50, H&K Mark23 .45, H&K USP .40, and the Steyr SPP. I plan to add at least three more pistols, including some more which are silenced, and some sort of machine pistol.
     I've also added a new kit restriction: No Support Guns.

Speaking of kit restrictions, I'm sure there are good ideas for kit restrictions floating around out there. Let me hear them. Making kit restrictions isn't hard and doesn't add more than a couple of bytes to the size of the mod, so while I'm working on this, I may as well make some interesting restriction files.

BeefyFigure
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2003, 09:32:15 pm »

Loth, do you use any programs in specific to do this kind of editing ?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2003, 11:26:07 pm »

Tex-Edit Plus, my text editor of choice for most of a decade now.  Cheesy

H e L L B e N T

"shift_passion"

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 02:30:03 am »

THAT DAMN FOG!!! The fog is by far the most annyong feature. I mean, what's the point of a sniper rifle if you can only see as far as the guy with the SA80 next to you. I also wish they'd have stuck with the kit selection system the used in R6 and RS. I hate this "well if you want sensors, you have to pack the OICW" With a little less fog, a little more urban maps and a larger zoom on the rest of the rifles.
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 02:53:56 am »

I agree about the fog, but it does serve a purpose: it keeps framerates up. Remember that this is a non-optimal port of a Red Storm game. That is, it's an imperfect copy of a weak engine. Without the fog, framerates would likely be in the single digits on even the best-suited Mac. There are fog hacks for single-player that you can download to see what the effect is. I haven't bothered, since I a) don't play single-player, and b) know that a lack of fog would cause my computer to explode. Even so, I do wish that the fog was a little further away in some maps.

Mr.Mellow
Official ass-kisser
Forum Whore

m00t!

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2003, 03:45:11 am »

Hmm. I think an overlooked gun in GhR is the AN-94. It's a shmexy Russian gun with single shot, two-round burst, and full-auto. The reticule closes very slowly, but when firing, there's little to no recoil. This is because the barrel itself recoils, not the whole gun. A shmexy design. Anyhoo, maybe make the reticule close a little faster. The zoom is fine (M-16ish), and it shouldn't be an excessive zoom like the OICW or it'll be a major pwnage gun. I don't think you should make the OICW fire tighter groups in 3 round or full auto. It's good enough as it is, and shouldn't be made into an uber-uber gun.

It puts itself on ice...It puts itself on ice, or else it gets the orange juice again!

m00t, I am the Screwer of Squirming Citrus.
s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2003, 05:27:01 am »

Howabout a no SA-80, or OICW kit restriction just for us who would like to play a balanced, fun, game?
s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2003, 05:32:44 am »

And about the no fog thing, it is there to mask the rendering distance, in each map's folder there is a little environment file, a few months ago I made a little test no fog-max rendering distance mod, it is quite interesting, frames don't go down too much, but it is heavily noticible.

I made it on my mac using appleworks 6, it even is activated like a mod, I might send it to mauti if I ever feel like updating it, and if you do actually want it, it is on clan macgaming's hotline server under gaming ordinance/ghostrecon/mods, CMGNF.zip or something?
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2003, 09:32:55 am »

Well, as I said earlier, my main goal with the |MP| Mod is to make the game balance a bit tighter. Along those lines, I have improved nearly every gun. I made the OICW more accurate, but lessened its zoom. It is still a good gun, but it is no longer the UBER GUN OF ULTIMATE DEATH OMFG. Give the mod a try, since I've already implemented solutions to most people's complaints. http://mp.macclans.com. The link to the |MP| Mod is in the upper right-hand corner.

s.p.i.d.e.r.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2003, 02:29:00 am »

Although, if you are feeling a bit more like going out of the way, howabout a iron sights kit restriction, although that involves editing all the weapons just for one restriction:\
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads