*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:08:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Music File Formats - AIFF vs ALC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Music File Formats - AIFF vs ALC  (Read 7132 times)
Civrock
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 05:43:12 am »

just found a thread about exactly this topic in the HydrogenAudio forums... so if you want some opionions from professionals, check it out. Smiley

Apple Lossless vs AIFF

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 03:36:07 pm »

Well, this morning on my way to work I blasted Violent Femms in full 1,140-Watt musical bliss.  I had the original CD, and two high-quality Music CD-Rs that I burned onto.  On one CD-R I burned the album straight off of iTunes in AIFF format.  On the second CD-R I burned the album after converting it to ALC format, and then back to AIFF format.  I listened to the first few tracks of each CD on my way to work (I have a 30-mile drive to work everyday).  Well, at full volume (which is EXTREMELY loud on that sound system), I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality, or most importantly, in bass response (which is what was really important to me on that sound system), between the 3 CDs.  So ALC must truely be "lossless" which works for me.  I think I'll be converting my 2,100+ songs to ALC format this weekend.  Right now it takes up just over 100GB of my hard drive.  After the conversion they should only take up about 60GB of hard drive space.  I'm still gonna buy that second 250GB hard drive though!   Grin

Thanks for the help guys!

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
cO.Kuza

because we call blunts bleezies

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 04:38:52 pm »

My step brother just got a silverado with dual 12'' subs in the back and a new alpine head unit. 3,000 watts. its a miniature earthquake everywhere we go. And how loud do you really want to play the beatles GS? It plays all sorts of burned cds, format dosnt seem to be a problem.

is it 2008 yet?
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 04:59:59 pm »

My step brother just got a silverado with dual 12'' subs in the back and a new alpine head unit. 3,000 watts. its a miniature earthquake everywhere we go. And how loud do you really want to play the beatles GS? It plays all sorts of burned cds, format dosnt seem to be a problem.

Hey, I don't just play the Beatles in that car!  I usually crank up my Violent Femms, Creed, and 3 Doors Down in it though.  Some factory stereos are set up now to play MP3 and other formats, but many are still set up to only play AIFF (my new Saleen Mustang's Shaker 1000 Audio system will be able to play MP3).  A lot of your aftermarket stuff will play just about any format, just like your home computer will.  That new Shaker 1000 system (which replaces the 2004 Mustang's Mach 1000 system) features dual 10" subs and 1,000-Watts, which is plenty for a little Mustang.  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 07:43:15 pm »

Christ, my 3,621 songs take up only 16.25 gigs!

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Civrock

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 08:23:24 pm »

that's because of the shitty (but very small) MP3 quality. Wink

spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 08:32:40 pm »

lol, with 3 gigs left on my hard drive, i dont think i have much choice.

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
Civrock

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 09:31:32 pm »

you have the choice of getting an additional HD, internal or external (don't know if you have a tower or an all-in-one). Wink

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 10:34:20 pm »

I only use MP3 and at most songs at high bitrates you can't hear any difference. Sorry there you can't hear any difference. Even super pro audio magazines like Audiophile compared CDs with MP3s decoded with 192 and higher and no one could hear any difference on B&W soundsystems and higher(10.000 US Dollar and upwards) It's like the difference of the Super Audio CD system from Sony which uses 24bit instead of 16bit encoding. Only on some very special things like the classic you can hear a slightly difference but at it's proven that often the room acoustic makes a much bigger difference than the cd format.

It's all in your head  Wink

I personally have around 14.000 mp3's 65+ gigs of music and in most cases you can't hear a difference, only a few songs need really high MP3 encoding, othewise the bass sounds dull.

Happy friday night,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 12:11:25 am »

It is all in their heads. I agree with mauti on that point. Especially since most audio CDs are encoded with a non-lossless form of AIFF.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2005, 12:35:31 pm »

well, in the case of AIFF vs ALC you have to remember that the sound on CD already is AIFF. It is encoded in 16bit, at a sampling rate of 44.1kHz, uncompressed. the ALC format only uses some techniques to shrink file size, without information loss.

for some people, MP3 sounds nicer because the codec automatically makes the music sound "better" by upping treble and bass a bit (like the Loudness function on some amps), because it cuts everything away which is deeper than about 10Hz to make the file size smaller.

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 05:14:25 pm »

I dont bother burning CD's anymore. Everything goes on my ipod and plugs directly into my integrated audio system in my Durango.  lol

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 11:31:51 pm »

What do you use to hook up your iPod, voods? I have tried the iTrip and the Cassette converter, and both are very staticky. I've yet to find a use for my iPod, and I'm kinda mad. I'm guessing I'll use it a bit more in college going from class to class etc.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
Civrock

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2005, 12:00:35 am »

www.alpine-usa.com

seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 09:33:17 pm »

What do you use to hook up your iPod, voods? I have tried the iTrip and the Cassette converter, and both are very staticky. I've yet to find a use for my iPod, and I'm kinda mad. I'm guessing I'll use it a bit more in college going from class to class etc.

there is no cheap method. You gotta pay at the very least 190$ to get something correct. Which is not worth it i think.

OMG another 4 years !!!
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 01:33:40 am »

Definitely not. That might be my next little project though, unless GhostSniper ever feels charitable (and no I don't mean giving to charity!). Cheesy

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
.vooDoo.
God bless the freaks

.:N|General Billy likes his salad tossed!

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 06:09:21 am »

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

p.s. Crypt, i had the itrip once and it actually worked really well for me. Did you read the directions? I know you probably did and you allready know this but im going to tell you anyways. The number one reason why most people get a staticy sound using the itrip is because they have the ipod volume turned up 100%. You need to set the ipods volume to about 60-80% and the sound should clear up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 06:14:14 am by .vooDoo. » Logged

.:Voodoo:.
Adult Gamers Alliance
*DAMN Battle League Administrator 2002 - 2004 Retired
Brothers of Chaos - Winners of *DBL Raven Shield Season 8 with 14-0 Record
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads