*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:01:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Music File Formats - AIFF vs ALC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Music File Formats - AIFF vs ALC  (Read 7130 times)
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« on: March 08, 2005, 04:18:19 pm »

i think it was a typo and he meant 8.4 GB. Wink

Ah, makes a little more sense now.  But even 8.4GB is a far cry from 100GB.  But too late for me to change my evil ways now!  250GB 2nd Hard Drive here I come!!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 05:34:40 am by .vooDoo. » Logged

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 08:29:29 pm »

TY Civic  We need more love

crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 09:08:19 pm »

GS, just try 320 kbps AAC, no sense in having that much space for music, I doubt you will hear any difference. (I can't hear any with 128 kbps AAC from the iTMS from AIFF CD quality)

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:00:38 pm »

GS, just try 320 kbps AAC, no sense in having that much space for music, I doubt you will hear any difference. (I can't hear any with 128 kbps AAC from the iTMS from AIFF CD quality)

But what I'm doing is compiling my own CDs.  I have to keep them in AIFF format so that I can listen to them in my car (most factory car stereos don't read anything other than AIFF).[/size]

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

Civrock

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:45:30 pm »

you can burn MP3 formate (and any other that iTunes reads) to AIFF with iTunes (it converts it while burning). you simply choose audio-cd in the iTunes burning preferences. no noticeable quality loss.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:20:27 am »

you can burn MP3 formate (and any other that iTunes reads) to AIFF with iTunes (it converts it while burning). you simply choose audio-cd in the iTunes burning preferences. no noticeable quality loss.

That's not true.  Try playing them on the Ford Mustang's 1,140-watt factory stereo system cranked up to the max and there is a BIG difference.[/size]

*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 03:58:39 pm »

I would use the Apple Lossless Codec, which uses less space than AIFF and should encode the files without quality losses...

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 12:40:43 am »

Indeed, ALC is much better than AIFF.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 12:57:14 am »

Indeed, ALC is much better than AIFF.

But will ALC play on a standard factory car stereo cd player?

Civrock

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 01:08:47 am »

as i said... you can set it to "Audio-CD" in the iTunes burn settings (preferences/options) and whenever you burn a CD it converts all songs you burn to AIFF automatically.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 01:18:50 am »

....with higher quality.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 02:02:37 am »

....with higher quality.

But will it lose any sound quality on a 1,140-Watt sound system cranked up to the max?  I'm telling you, every time I've tried to convert back to AIFF it just doesn't have the same deep bass on the Mustang's sound system.[/size]

Civrock

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 02:10:35 am »

AIFF is an old codec. ALC on the other side is quite new and uses therefore a much better technology. it has better sound-quality while using less (not much) space. audio-CDs simply still use AIFF because it's the industry standard... there are several better codecs already.

BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 02:11:13 am »

Then I'd blame the sound system for having a bad choice of compatibility.

John Lennon
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 02:15:40 am »

AIFF is an old codec. ALC on the other side is quite new and uses therefore a much better technology. it has better sound-quality while using less (not much) space. audio-CDs simply still use AIFF because it's the industry standard... there are several better codecs already.

But just because it's using better technology and has better sound quality doesn't get rid of the fact that I'm going from AIFF format to AIFF format.  Therefore, no matter how good ALC is, it isn't going to improve on something that was originally recorded in AIFF format.[/size]

Civrock

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 02:46:34 am »

of course, the quality won't improve by converting to a different codec. the only possibility to get a better original quality would be to have a better codec than AIFF on the audio-CD itself already.
the point here is, though, which codec wouldn't lower the quality by converting but have the important advantage of less space usage.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 02:49:12 am by z][t-Civic™ » Logged

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 02:57:33 am »

the point here is, though, which codec wouldn't lower the quality by converting but have the important advantage of less space usage.

How much smaller would say a 5 minute long song be in ALC format versus AIFF format?[/size]

Civrock

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 03:06:11 am »

lemme check it out... i'll edit this post with the answer asap.

okay... a 5:10 minutes song is 53.5MB big in AIFF formate here. the same song converted to ALC is only 35.2MB small. that's about a third less in size, without losing any quality. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 03:17:23 am by z][t-Civic™ » Logged

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 03:25:10 am »

Well, the true test will be converting a song from AIFF format, to ALC format, then back to AIFF format and playing it on the Mustang's sound system.  I think I'll use my Violent Femms cd to try this out with.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow if the conversion stands up to 1,140-Watts of pure musical bliss.[/size]

Civrock

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 03:36:01 am »

very interesting, waiting eagerly for the result... Smiley

don't use some shitty CD-R, though, that can lower the quality noticeably... especially in this quality range. Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads