*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:32:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Upgrading to OSX & Ghost Recon  (Read 1135 times)
Captain Snorp

New, me? No, I just suck.

« on: February 10, 2004, 12:42:41 am »

Okay, so the time has finally come for me to upgrade to OS X.

I've been using 9.2.2 for all this time, and I want to make sure I won't be ruining my Ghost Recon experience.

I'm going to be going to Panther soon, my question is this:

Do I reinstall GR in X, or do I run it in Classic?  Further, I am assuming mods aren't OS specific - so I should be able to take along all the mods I've accumulated over the last couple years.  

Anyone have any experience using GR in both 9 and X?  And, hopefully if there are any of you, you can reassure me that the X experience with Ghost Recon is, at the very worst, the same as that in 9, but hopefully an upgrade.

I use a 499 Mac G4 (digital audio era, Feb 2001) with 756MB RAM & the standard 128 Rage graphics card.

Thanks in advance,
CS

crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 02:09:52 am »

GhR runs in both, very smooth under OS X and OS 9 alike, you should have no problems running in Panther.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
th.Sentinel

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:58 pm »

If you're gonna buy panther its best to format your HD totally and install 2 partitions, one for OS 9, the other for OS X. This way you can boot easily in both if necessary. (you can still boot in OS 9 if you have only one partition, but I think its cleaner this way)

Then install GhR in a seperate folder on your os x partition (ex. a games folder in the root folder of your HD) You can now run GhR in X with all the mods available for the mac platform.

I noticed on my iMac G3 500 Mhz that GhR ran slower with Jaguar, but when Panther came out it played (almost) as smooth as in OS 9 again. I noticed the same with my B&W G3 300 Mhz with the standard 128 Rage card, I got a 5fps boost with panther. Then I changed the card into a ATI Radeon 7000 and swapped the HD and I got a performance boost of 15-20 fps. Because of a Quartz Xtreme plugin that supported this card.

So if you have a little money left, try finding a second hand Radeon 7000 (32Mb) or better, and put an extra HD in and switch te existing one to slave. This way, you still have your data and a faster HD.

GL,
th.Sent

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
Captain Snorp

New, me? No, I just suck.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 02:28:02 am »

Very cool - thanks for the info.  The vid card upgrade was also on the schedule, not sure whether or not I'm hardcore enough to completely format the HD and go the partition route... although I suppose I could burn a load of CD's for backup.  

I'm lucky, I have a PC on the same network with which I can 'install' all the PC .exe'd mods, then send it over to the Mac in a zipped format.  So much handier than Virtual PC, etc.

CS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads