*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:18:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Intell comes out with new chip technology for laptops  (Read 1612 times)
BTs_Lee.Harvey (laptop)
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:33:34 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051209/bs_nf/40040

read that and comment
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:38:44 am »

Woodbridge or whatever it was called which was going to be the quad powerhouse for Desktops got cancelled...

I want some serious power coming to the desktops but i don't see it... im starting to think i should really by my G5 now and look at the intel macs in 3/4 years time

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:17:07 am »

BFG,

Although ive been wrong on Tech buying before...after having used this dual 2.5 for a year...
I would comfortably say, that were I in your position today..I would still go with the G5, and consider the new stuff in three years.

The power and speed in this model will keep me current for three and a half years, and I would say im still roughly competitive with a studio that even has quads for that amount of time.

I have been above and beyond happy with what this does with vid files that would kill my g4, normal processes, and I still havent maxed it out on a photoshop file..and so far I have thrown around a hundred layer 20 gig file with almost NO slowdown, except for blur filterin on the largest layers... (i do photo murals- big ones))  and to me thats fucking significant... Renders for 3d that took an entire afternoon on a 1gig laptop, now take oh....about 19 minutes...

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:04:29 am »

They aren't expected until 2015, that's just a wee bit of time away, who knows what Mac's will look like or have in them by then.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:15:36 am »

ty for the advice shiex.

Yep basically my current thinking now is come feb or so have a look at what January brought us and see where the apple road map might be going...

But...

I can get a Duel Core 2.3 mac with Gig of RAM (id add 3 more from somewhere else) and the Nvidia 7800GT card for £2000

Its not the quad... but i can see that comp seriously improving my work longevity for several years to come - Its just a case of seeing if i really have that money to spare right now, or whether i really want to try and make this G4 last out for another couple of years (which the more i think about it is really not going to happen!)

On the upside all the software i use now i know will run, and run fast... very fast. (oh Adobe for gods sake will you sort out After Effects so it makes proper use of MPs please? there is a plug in on the way from a 3rd party but pull your fingers out u buggers)
Its also going to give me USB2 PCIe FW800 and everything else i want and or need... as for games etc well its not exactly going to struggle, not that thats really inportant.

I guess i've got to understand though that in 3 to 4 years time it probably wont be worth jack, and that eventually new apps will be coming in from apple etc that just wont be PPC friendly, but im guessing that not including games we can see Fat binarys for a while to come.

PS shiex i'd love ot see some of your work...i'll show you mine if you show me yours Wink
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 01:36:36 pm by BFG » Logged

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_hooks

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:14:36 pm »

Hey BFG thats really close to my current rig i have at work, Duel 2.3 with 4 gigs, and the 7800 with duel 23" displays, its perfect, render times are pretty fast, and never slows down, so i would say go for it. i couldnt be happier with it.

hooks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads