*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 10:12:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare coming to MAC?!!!!!!  (Read 10418 times)
Civrock
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39:50 am »

Did you notice that Aspyr ported version 1.5? PC version has been at 1.7 for a couple weeks, lol. That's why Mac CoD4 users can't join PC servers at the moment. Well, v1.7 servers but I don't think there are many 1.5 servers left, if any (obviously wouldn't know since I'm running 1.7 via Boot Camp).

Aspyr's Mac Gaming department is dead.

Btw, I got an alpha version of an inofficial Mac Xfire client. It's not publicly released yet but if you're interested, send me a PM. Currently it provides a working friends list, chatting, adding and removing of friends and status of your friends and yourself (you can see what they're playing etc). It also has limited support of some Mac games like WoW (it tracks your playtime for your Xfire profile etc).

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »

@ Pun: cool.

@ Civic: I'm sure the 1.7 patch will soon follow. They just wanted to get CoD4 finally out.

But you are right there are no triple AAA Mac annoucement from Aspyr for the christmas season yet. =(

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Civrock

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 07:24:12 pm »

Meh, 1.6 has been out for months and 1.7 for weeks also. They let Mac users wait for months already, only to release an almost outdated game, with an outdated version. All this probably mainly because of the useless copy protection nonsense hackers already got through it seems.

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

Yes they concentrate too much on copy protection. Especially I guess if you want to play online the game uses a master server like any ID games to authenticate the serial number. So you can't play online as soon as two or more people try to login at the same time.

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:48 pm »

any body got any info on how they're finding the mac version and how its comparing performance wise to say running via bootcamp?

got to agree with the aspyr comments... unless something dramatically changes i think we wave bye bye to any AAA titles etc

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Civrock

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2008, 07:39:55 pm »

I've read that the performance is comparable but rather worse than better. Overall good comments in case of Mac performance, though.

c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 07:42:14 pm »

They were already making a concentrated move towards XBox and PC titles three years ago.  "Stubbs might not be the best, but it gets our foot in the door with a big name".  Though it seems like Aspyr's recent and coming release list, regardless of platform, is extremely anorexic, especially when you compare it to 4-5 years ago, when they were pounding out 2-3 big titles at least every year.  (KOTOR, SimCity IV, Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, MTX, The Sims, Starwars: Battlefront), among others.  

And now all we've got on their development list is Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, which will probably be a good cash cow, and followed by "Nintendo DS Hello Kitty".   Nade

Makes one wonder what they're up to, or if the company is stagnating and preparing to go under or be bought up.

Sorry to derail a COD4 thread.  Carry on.

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
PUNiSHER™

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:21 pm »

I wonder if they plan on doing Call of Duty 5 because that game comes out in November.  Maybe a 2009 release?  They did CoD 1, 2, 4 so why not 5.

Civrock

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:49 pm »

CoD5 doesn't really look like a mass multiplayer FPS like CoD4, from what I've read it's pretty much only COOP. It's from a different game developer also. 4 was Infinity Ward and 5 is coming from Treyarch.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:45 am »

CoD WaW looks graphically inpressive theres no question about that, the quality of lighting, textures and modeling is, well 'nice' doesn't quite do it, 'awsome' feels a bit much.  Though like Civic says it does seem to be far from the mp focus of cod4.
interesting to hear that the performance isn't to bad on the port for mac..... im all for proper ports and have very mixed feelings about cider, no question its increadible how many 'unofficial' ports of games there are available, but there are many issues.

Quite honestly i think its the end of the traditional Aspyr and mac games relationship - Like you guys have said they have been moving for a while, and there is little future it seems in the traditional ports to the mac platform they used to provide.

eur.reddust

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2008, 03:18:10 pm »

Those who already got the CoD4 Mac version: Can You install the game with a different language than english? If so, which are available?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 03:20:11 pm by eur.reddust » Logged
Civrock

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2008, 06:23:16 pm »

ASH is working on the german version.

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2008, 05:40:09 am »

I heard the PC Serial #'s work with the Mac version.  Thats kinda interesting, if you can acquire the Mac version and you already have the PC version you could use your PC Serial #.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »

Oooh interesting - i'd heard the exact opposite punisher but that said, hell if it works!....

Civrock

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 09:39:40 pm »

PC serials do work with the Mac version. It's the same authentication server afterall.

Civrock

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 06:01:43 am »

Well, I just got a hold of the Mac version and it installed and worked without a problem, the MP application that is. Simply put in my PC serial and started the game. Before that I imported my player profile from my Vista partition which was also compatible with the Mac version. It took most of my settings correctly and my profile was complete. Some settings were ignored because apparently you can't change sound settings etc in the Mac version, all it has is volume unfortunately.

I then went on to try a couple rounds, with my PC optimized configuration, and it was mostly smooth but definitely noticable worse than in Boot Camp. Moments with a lot of action going on and other players around caused significant slowdowns in case of FPS and it was pretty annoying. My average was something between 40 FPS and 100 FPS, not even close to what I get in Vista (steady 150+ FPS, no drops).
I did read, though, that there are still problems with the nVidia GeForce 8800 FT which cause bad FPS in some games. Some people with ATi videocards are reporting very smooth gameplay with all settings on max, without any optimizations, even on slower Macs, including laptops.

Well, I guess my conclusion is that it's playable but if you're very competitive like me, you can get annoyed very easily by poor performance which in FPS games often results in deaths. Tongue I'm hoping that Apple resolves the apparent driver problems of the 8800 GT with some games sometime soon. If you have an ATi card, try it yourself and lemme know how it went.

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2008, 08:41:48 pm »

I'll grab a copy - running an ATI1900 card so will be interesting to see how it works out!

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:58 am »

They released a 1.7 update for the Mac version.

www.aspyr.com

Civrock

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 05:43:22 am »

That's what I tested it with.

PUNiSHER™

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2008, 11:52:08 am »

Do you have any ideas on how to run and use custom maps on the Mac version?

I found a site with some CoD4 maps and one is DeDust 2.0 but I can't get it to work.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/52343

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads