*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:51:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Your Ideal Candidate
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your Ideal Candidate  (Read 6877 times)
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

we hate it when our friends become successful

« on: February 17, 2004, 09:36:44 pm »

Since most people here seem pretty disillusioned with the choice they will be faced with in 2004, I was wondering exactly what policy platforms you would have if you were running for president. What issues are most important to you, and how do you feel about them?

My ideal candidate would?
1. Advocate immediate legalization of gay marriage across the country and demand strict anti-discrimination standards for different sexualities similar to the ones we already have for different races, religions, etc.
2. End the Patriot Act and all other post-9/11 provisions that have infringed on our civil liberties.
3. End the drug war--get rid of the border agents, free all the incarcerated users, change our foreign policy toward Central and South America, and get medical treatment for addicts rather than lock them away.
4. Cut 20% of the Defense budget and put all the money toward education and my number 5 proposal.
5. Create a national, single-payer, not for profit healthcare system where everyone has 100% coverage, similar to Canada or Sweden's.
6. End our economic embargo of Cuba.
7. Re enter the anti-weapons treaties that Bush has exited, and continue to push anti-proliferation treaties on nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons (and also  landmines).
8. Invigorate the educational system -- provide free preschool for everyone, decrease class size, rebuild inner city schools, raise teacher pay, make funding more equitable, decrease the costs of higher education, provide more financial aid.
9. Follow Jimmy Carter's lead -- make human rights the hallmark of your foreign policy.
This is most of the stuff that is important to me

What is important to you?

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:28:09 pm »

Oh, you guys are just gonna love this:

My ideal candidate would...

1.  Pull all U.S. Servicemen back into the United States' Borders.  This means ALL Servicemen...the peacekeepers in Europe and Asia, as well as those serving the United Nations, NATO, and in Foreign Embassies.

2.  Immediately block all trade going into or out of the United States.

3.  Immediately withdraw all foreign aid and demand immediate repayment from Europe and Asia for the costs of U.S. Involvement in WWII, as well as all debts currently owed to the United States.  Also, the U.S. will immediately pay off all debts it owes other nations.

4.  The next time the rest of the world errupts into war, LET THEM KILL EACH OTHER OFF.

5.  Now that will are no longer bankrolling much of the rest of the world, and cut down so much use of our military, we can spend all that extra money on education and social programs back at home.

6.  Create a Constitutional Amendment banning Same-Sex Marriages.  These marriages are an abomination to mankind.

7.  Allow the free use of drugs.  Hell, if kids want to kill themselves, they can be my guest.

Well, doesn't that just sound like a much better U.S.A.Huh

Peace. [through the ultimate destruction of the enemy by the use of superior firepower]

-GhostSniper Out.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:33:28 pm by BTs_GhostSniper » Logged

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 11:00:30 pm »

Hehe, Ghost you rock.

1. I'd like a states rights advocate with Federal Government supervision (ie, each state has it's own gun laws, within the confines of the constitution; also, each state has it's own marriage laws within the confines of the constitution, with the caveat that each state must recognise all other's marraiges). This is much the way things are now. I think the consant pull between who's the boss is good.
2. Make Los Angeles the capital of California. (dude, it's just my thing - who the fuck cares about Sacro?)
3. I want a nationalist who's socially liberal and fiscally conservative (ie, moderate New Democrat)
4a. Immeadiately increase foreign spending on world health issues like AIDs, water quality, and hunger. Finally pay the fucking UN for all outstanding back-dues. Recognise birth control as a means of birth control, instead only talking about not having sex.
4b. Offer a wide viriety of over the counter birth control products, including insta-abortion pills (morning afters). Givem them out for free, in fact.
5a. Active military in international issues, particularly peacekeeping and nation building. Create an arm of the miltary dedicated to pascific interventions. (The International Guard? Bush can do ditch duty there).
5b. Get back into serious alliances and international organizations.
6. Increase tax burden of wealthiest 5%. Re-instutute the estate tax.
7. Hardcore on corporate accountablity. Make CEOs crimminally liable for accounting fraud, "cooked books", etc.
8. Cut military R&D.
9. Investigate wtf the NSA is doing with the billions tax payers give them.
10. Shift monies currently spent on mil R&D and use it to R&D new energy solutions (ie, ween us off oil, natural gas - the depletably sources of energy, the ones Americans die to control)
11. Strike Bush the 2nd's name from the list of presidents of the United States. Forever enshine him as the 1st American Dictator. (this one's a juicy meatball)
12. seriously consider why our trade deficit is so high, and fight job-drain and brain-drain to foreign nations. Ie., make people wanna hire Americans and make Americans who are educated wanna stay here.
13. Infrastructure investment: esp national wireless. (internet should be a Right - it's a pure form of freedom)
14. Cut the national deficit. We are running off credit and soon the lenders will stop lending.
15. Legalize and tax the shit outa most drugs, esp mj. The Feds coulod make big money there.
15b. End the war on drugs. Declare victory. Whatever.
16. Repeal PATRIOT act, investigate those that proposed it. Throw them in jail if it turns out they meant to control everyday citizens. Hell, throw them in jail anyway.
17. Make Perto Rico the 51st state. Follow up with Quebec, 52nd. (hehe, then they will have to speak English. Damn wanna be Frenchies!)
18. In-act mimums on state investments in education as a percent of gross spending. Federal funding increase in education spending. Make it a goal (long term) to give all citizens a free education, from cradle to grave.
19. Send Bush II, Dicky, and their buddies to Mars. Let them fuck that planet up.
20. The dude or dudette need to be Single. Thus, if they fuck, then who cares? They'll just be fucking.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:49:05 pm by x1| Sixhits » Logged

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
kami
God bless the freaks

You're not a man without *NADS.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 11:42:04 pm »

You have got to be kidding me GS, holy shit.

I like your list Tasty, sounds like a better America to me.

It's not my country so I won't give a list of my own.

*NADS toilet cleaner goldylocks

'There is nothing divine about morality, it is a purely human affair.' - Albert Einstein
'With soap, baptism is a good thing.' - Robert G. Ingersoll
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 12:00:42 am »

Kami, he's joking. Or at least I hope he is. . .

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
tasty in studio
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 12:13:12 am »

if its a joke, it isnt a very funny one
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:16:50 am »

I thought it was funny.  Grin

"Perhaps, the most important thing to remember about that which we are faced with: Fascism, at its core, is a fraud. It promises the triumphal resurrection of the nation, and delivers only devastation. Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty."
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 12:22:08 am »

Neither is yours Tasty.  You scare me.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Screw the pussy isolationists and their shortsightedness - Buccaneer
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 02:00:45 am »

1. Legalize marijuana and pardon all marijuana-related prisoners. Other drugs I don't care so much about, but legalizing marijuana and freeing its prisoners would immediately end the waste of huge amounts of money. Plus, taxation of drugs is good.

2. The 2004 budget contains $429 billion marked as discretionary nondefense spending. Allocate at least $25 billion per year to an intensive four-year research and development program to advance the state of the art in non-oil, non-natural-gas energy, with emphasis on fission, fusion, and fission waste disposal. Appoint a committee of accomplished scientists and engineers to head the program, and keep politicians out of it.

3. The same committee's first order of business would be to take one month and prepare a report concerning our current nuclear waste disposal laws and requirements. Once the report was in, use it as ammunition to repeal the wasteful laws which force low-level nuclear waste to be disposed of as high-level waste and therefore make waste disposal the huge problem it is today.

4. Institute a national sales tax and amputate 99% of the IRS.

5. Legally guarantee all people the right to a secular marriage.

6. Make up a title equivalent to knighthood and bestow it upon Steve Jobs.

7. Then personally throw a pie in the face of Bill Gates.

8. Then do the chicken dance.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 02:13:03 am »

Neither is yours Tasty.  You scare me.
Wasn't it just a couple days ago you were saying you would consider a vote for Ralph Nader? Because almost literally every thing I just suggested is on his/the Green Party's platform. Either you're full of it or you haven't researched your votes well.

It's obvious that my platform isn't a joke. It's not even that different from what loth suggested (although he obviously wouldnt support the health care provision). The reason why I said that GS's was is because of his thing about halting imports and exports--wouldn't that completely gut our economy? And the thing about us immediately paying off all our debt--where the hell are we supposed to get the resources to do that? We're the biggest debtor nation in the history of the world! And the thing about gay marriages--well? just lol.

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country.? -Bertrand Russell
"Sixhits"
*DAMN Supporter
Forum Whore

Monkey see, monkey do

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:26:06 am »

ugh, Nader! The n-word. The election terrorist! Gah! Why won't he just go away!

Doesn't he realize that elections are about power and money and ego?

Or maybe that's his whole point - he's want power, money, and has big democrat smashing ego.

Man, we need another Ross Perot. Then at least we'll have a draw from the con side of things.

Blooody, sodding Nader.

alaric
Forum Whore

What good is life if you don't have freedom?

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 03:03:30 am »

I'm only gonna reply to the most extreme posts here so far. And because there are so many points to touch on, I'm going to use a simple, yet effective, system to voice my opinion on each.

Now in some countries this ammounts to an obscene gesture, so if you happen to reside in such a place, please accept my most sincere and heart-felt apologies.

--Tasty--

--The Infamous GS--

Ok, I just have to comment on this one. Where the hell is the navy going to be? Salt Lake City?

--Summary--
You're both wack.

"I would rather have incompetence and abuse of power than a group of people who want to bow down to the French and the United Nations." - BTs Ghostsniper, June 17, 2004, 01:44:16 PM
The Golden Shark

hehehe my picture is funny.........

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 03:33:34 am »

i would almost jump into tasty's arms, except i would have to demand more funding for national parks, and more evironmental (spelling?) laws, funding, ect.

the only other problem i can see is that if you were to REALLY run for pres. no one would vote for you, because alot of people are afraid to commit to something, and/or hear the truth about our country's problems.

people like george bush get elected because they don't say anything while they are campaigning (spelling? again) so people don't have to worry about claiming responsability. ( spell? .... by now i have given up)

EXAMPLE
howard dean: tells about problems... people freak, hasn't won one single primary.

And the Lord said, "Let there be G5!", and there was G5, and it was good. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to Steve Jobs. And Steve Jobs saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. On the second day, Steve Jobs drove Wintel from the garden of NASDAQ in a fury -- f
|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 03:52:44 am »

Wasn't it just a couple days ago you were saying you would consider a vote for Ralph Nader? Because almost literally every thing I just suggested is on his/the Green Party's platform. Either you're full of it or you haven't researched your votes well.

Show me where Ralph Nader said to remove all boarder guards?

First, he would be better than the rest of the fascist dogs that are currently running, doesn't make him perfect.  I said I'd vote for Powell over anyone else too.  But it's not only the points you made, but the fact that those are your priorities.  I know Nader listed quite a few others.  And I find those much more important.

Second, Socialized Medicine is a really shitty step to make.  While I agree that there should be more regulation, I also know that if we didn't dump all the money into the system, we wouldn't have the research we have today.  Ask yourself why so many important leaders from other countries come to the USA for surgery?  Why don't they go to Canada as much?  Or stay at home?  Why is it that we had MRI's so long before anyone else?  You can fix problems with health care without going to socialized medicine, and not have all the negative that goes with it.

Third, not all drugs should be made legal, and drug dealers still need to be punished, period.  I've only seen Nader speak out about hemp and marijuana.  

Fourth, we should only enter treaties that are fair, and will actually work.  Leaving out key nations, and allowing nations to not follow such treaties just makes us worse off for being involved.  

Fifth, Education is not a national issue, it's a State and Local issue.  I'm not for taking rights away from State and Local Governments.  That was one of the keystones of the USA (notice we are the United States, that was a very important distinction).  The Federal Government is already too involved where the States should be.  

One last note, I'm surprised that GS's post scared you so much, as your arguments tend to lean in the isolationist direction very often.  Yes, he overstated it, but you've been for no US military presence overseas more than a couple times.  Myself, I'm not an isolationist, I think we need to be out there.  But I am an equal trade advocate, and that's one place Nader is good on too.  Much more important than Gay Marriages.  Let's stop countries from tariffing us and dumping goods.  Bring CAFE up a few miles per gallon and stop that drilling, etc.  Much more important.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

tasty
Special Forces
Forum Whore

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 05:42:43 am »

I've changed my opinion on the isolationism--I no longer think that it is as good of a  thing. Especially not on trade issues.

On the healthcare, I agree that the top notch facilities in the US are the best in the world. But only a small minority of people can afford those. There are a large number of people in America with no health coverage whatsoever. Right now the overhead costs on our health system run around 13%. We can save a lot of money by going single payer (Canadas are about 3%, Sweden's closer to 1). I just think that people should be able to get the treatment they need, when they need it, regardless of their income level or job status. I see single payer as the best way to do this.

I think all drugs should be legalized because I think that all drugs have the potential to be used responsibly. I can agree with heavy taxation on them. No one advocates this outside of certain libertarians though (my views were actually formed by the book Saying Yes, by the editor of Reason magazine :0).

Sure, I think treaties should be fair too. If they aren't, they can be renegotiated.

I agree that education is a local issue. My suggestion was just for funding to be increased (which the federal government can provide). Some schools just don't have the resources to succeed. I know that this seems like "throwing money at the problem", but from what I've read it seems like money is at least part of the problem. It's a lot harder to complain about underachievement when you have good facilities, good teachers, and high quality academic and extracurricular programs. The individual schools and municipalities can spend the money how they see fit. Some of the higher education programs are federal though? there's just a bit of self-interest in there too (I could always use some extra financial aid Smiley).

|MP|Buccaneer
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 06:26:59 am »

On the healthcare, I agree that the top notch facilities in the US are the best in the world. But only a small minority of people can afford those. There are a large number of people in America with no health coverage whatsoever.

It is not a small minority.  I read on some of the liberal sites that there are about 40 million americans without adiquite health care or insurance.  That leaves over 250 million that do by the 2000 census, right(290+ Billion Americans)?  Yes, 40 million is a number that needs to be dealt with, but let's not get carried away with the propaganda.

I think all drugs should be legalized because I think that all drugs have the potential to be used responsibly.

There are drugs that can not be used responsibly.  GHB?  Synthetic HGH?  PCP?  There are things that do not have a legitimate recreational use, things that are just too strong for people.  This is the same reason that you don't see 200 proof alcohol for sale in most states (or Canada, etc).

Sure, I think treaties should be fair too. If they aren't, they can be renegotiated.

Some of the treaties that have been pulled out of had those conditions I mentioned.  So I'm not against pulling out of treaties that aren't fair.

I agree that education is a local issue. My suggestion was just for funding to be increased (which the federal government can provide). Some schools just don't have the resources to succeed. I know that this seems like "throwing money at the problem", but from what I've read it seems like money is at least part of the problem. It's a lot harder to complain about underachievement when you have good facilities, good teachers, and high quality academic and extracurricular programs. The individual schools and municipalities can spend the money how they see fit. Some of the higher education programs are federal though? there's just a bit of self-interest in there too (I could always use some extra financial aid Smiley).

Actually, they need to yank all federal funding (and not tax for it).  And let the state governments fund it better.

Yes, throw more money at them.  Pay teachers what they are worth.  But, do it on the state level.

Also, very much against your self interests, pull the state funding away from the Universities.  When you look at the fact that only about 20% of people graduate from college, why should that minority be subsidized to do so (and this is coming from someone that not only paid their own way, but has at least one kid they are going to be paying for).  We give a diportionate amount of funds to higher education, compared to the numbers that actually use it.  The money should go where it's more needed.

But, like I said, it's still a state issue.  Let them tax for it, not the feds.

Supernatural Pie
Useless Post-Count Whore
God bless the freaks

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2004, 07:02:46 am »

I like alaric's method. YOINK!

--Tasty--

All good points except that one. Fuck Castro. Once Castro's dead we can end the embargo. But until then, fuck Castro.

--Ghost Sniper--

5. N/A cause I voted no for the others
6. - It's all about the freedom, man.
7. - Yes, let drugs be free to use... but the way you worded it.... Jesus. You sick bastard. Shocked

A comment on #1: pull them all out of Iraq, but keep guys everywhere else (like at embassies... if I'm being attacked by crazy Swedes Wink I wanna have some U.S. Soldiers at my embassy to fight 'em off. )

--Sixhits--
2. What about Albany? Tallahassee? Sacramento is not the only oddly picked capitol city out there.
3. This one just confused me.
4b. Hooray for sex!
6. They earned their money. Let them keep it.
7. CEO's should only be liable if it was their own fault.
9. It's kept secret for a reason. Go watch the movie "True Lies" with Ahhhnold. You'll have an entirely new respect for the NSA.
10. ok maybe a little
12. The wording here confused me.
13. (good idea)
15. that's always been my stance on the drug issue. Make it legal, but make it hella-taxed.
17. We don't need either of them.
19. Ok...
20. Another oddly worded one.

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2004, 10:57:30 am »

Tasty i love you.... GhostSniper you scare the freaking shit out of me.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 03:33:10 pm »

Tasty i love you.... GhostSniper you scare the freaking shit out of me.

Haha!  But I'm the only one anybody calls "Infamous"! (by alaric)

Peace.  [by nuking the rest of the world into submission]

-GhostSniper Out.

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Cutter

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 03:49:50 pm »

whats scary is the guy that has gay marrige as the #1 thing to look for in a canidate has a bunch of you saying you love him. i'm not against gay marrige, i like to smoke weed and if the next guy likes to smoke pole thats his business. but with all the other shit goin on in the world today i find it funny that letting gay people get married is the most important thing you look for in a political canidate. and for those that say they love him for it...well....

and besides demanding reparations from european countries from WWII, GS's points would all but fix all that the world thinks is wrong with america. they complain about american soldiers all over the world (until they need those troops to save their asses), they complain about our debt, they complain about out trade deals, etc. and while legalizing all drugs would never happen (for good reasons) i and millions and millions of other americans would like to see marijuana legalized or at least decriminalized.

one of the things i like to see in a canidate, is what has he done for the people already. has he made a difference or is he just some super rich fuck that has a good smile. i don't think nader will ever be a president for those exact reasons, but he more than any man in politics today can proudly say that he has made a difference in his life. if you've ever been in a car accident and didn't need a spatula to scrape your face off the windshield...thank ralph nader

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads