*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:28:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  Death of GameRanger?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Death of GameRanger?  (Read 8633 times)
*Lob

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2007, 07:49:55 pm »

I have not been able to host for a few months now. I asked Evill for help and he said he couldn't, then went on and on that he couldn't help everyone with there problems. I can appreciate his issue of not being about to support everyone but am I suppose to ok with not being able to host with a service I paid for?
Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 12:34:15 am »

Did you already try all the normal cause of not being able to host? That you are behind a firewall or router and need to do port forwarding.

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 02:58:12 am »

he can host now.

Now, apparently if you play around with your banlist without a good editing application, it'll damage the text script or some rubbish (evill explains it better, but that's my best explanation Tongue)

So what Lob may have done and which we corrected, was deleted his banlist, hence deleting the script of some sort. Best thing to do is just trash the banlist outright. All he did was put in some numbers into his banlist and he could host again. Apparently a common problem.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2007, 08:53:22 am »

Hi guys,

so what's going on with GameRanger? I guess most games just use their own server list managment, and probably some are just playing on Windows these days. How is the Mac gaming situation nowadays?

I only noticed that the GameRanger stats and top games page is disfunctional since months.

@ Red Tigah: are you a GameRanger admin now?

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
<82ndAB>Tigah
Forum Whore

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2007, 11:55:24 am »

Nah Mauti, I just get to talk to Evill a bit Smiley

Hi btw! and welcome back.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 07:13:55 am »

Before the stats page went on the frits, there was a steady decline in the number of games played, and general activity, reflected in graphs.  Down to a point before when R6 was released.  In short, GR is dying.

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 08:53:57 am »

It seems we need a new mega game(notice how I avoided the term "killer game"). If none are released may have to create our own. However I think GameRanger isn't dead, may for newly released first person shooters, but for games like AoE it is still used.

Well I hope new games come out that bring back GameRanger, 'cos I really dislike all these anonymous server lists.

since 13th June 2000
c| Lone-Wolf
Forum Whore

Frog blast the vent core!

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:49 am »

You have to wonder though, with people picking up Intel Macs, if they will get the PC or Mac version of the game and not just Bootcamp to play on the PC side, where there is a significantly larger group of players.  So even if there is a huge new FPS released, if it comes out on the PC as well (which it will, if it's a big title), then the Mac gaming community might still stay dead.

Sorry, im a little pesimistic about these things.  Sad

Quote from: (SiX)Sheixhundt
Air is a mechanism of control.
and i reject it.

They cant hit me from all the way over the-
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 10:59:51 am »

Yes, you are right. Further in most cases the PC version will be cheaper than the Mac version. The only plus I can see if a Mac title comes later, it may already include some expansion packs.

At all I don't understand why more developers like Blizzard release Hybrid versions of their games(Mac and PC in a box), 'cos after making Mosquito Ops it's really not difficult to create a game multi platform. Of course only if you use OpenGL. You just have to take care about byte streams(little - big endian awareness) and may adapt the window and control managment(if you don't use SDL or GLUT). Most physic libraries and other libs already exist for Mac and Windows. But I guess that's a different story.

To stay ontopic: GameRanger and its technology could be ported to Windows too. Personally I really prefer the GameRanger way of playing a game, than browsing a server list.

May we gonna see more homebrew games in the future that also people with no high end graphic cards can play. Last but not least not every Intel Mac will have Wndows installed. I guess most casual gamers would buy a Mac version rather than buy/steal Windows and the PC version of that game.

since 13th June 2000
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 06:18:05 pm »

Btw good news, although not my genre: http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=15395

since 13th June 2000
Phara
BL Staff

*DAMN Battle League Admin

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:10 pm »

Sounds great. I've heard greats thing about 'Gears of War' but never got round to playing it. I'm sure we will have to wait a while to get it though but when it does get here it will hopefully be a hit.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47:26 am »

OK, I got late to this one....the topic is off topic now, so I'll start it up, forgive me....

What the hell happened to GR???  I leave for 2 min, come back, and the whole place goes to hell??? lol

Its good seeing alot of the old gamers, I miss many, especially Shiex!! But, seriously, what happened to GR?  People got tired of it? not enough new games?  I feel so bad, GR was the place to be whenever, I came home from school.....now...it feels like a part of me died.

Good talking to ya folks again.

ps. Sheix, if you read this, I'm the 1st Major League Gaming tournament in Toronto, Canada this coming Nov 2-4, gaming on Rainbow Six Vegas on XboX.  You can check it out here http://www.mlgcanada.com.

Cheers,
Nomad

The King of Pistoleros
mesa
BL Staff

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »

GR wouldnt be dead if you people would come on and play!!!  Shocked         We need more love

RVS FOR LIFE!!
KoS PY.nq.ict
Forum Whore

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 05:42:58 am »

OK, I got late to this one....the topic is off topic now, so I'll start it up, forgive me....

What the hell happened to GR???  I leave for 2 min, come back, and the whole place goes to hell??? lol

Its good seeing alot of the old gamers, I miss many, especially Shiex!! But, seriously, what happened to GR?  People got tired of it? not enough new games?  I feel so bad, GR was the place to be whenever, I came home from school.....now...it feels like a part of me died.

Good talking to ya folks again.

ps. Sheix, if you read this, I'm the 1st Major League Gaming tournament in Toronto, Canada this coming Nov 2-4, gaming on Rainbow Six Vegas on XboX.  You can check it out here http://www.mlgcanada.com.

Cheers,
Nomad

I need you inside of me.

(uNt 2001-2003 Long live the memories.

"|MP|Cringe.jNu.X.3: no smoke, us white people dont eat dog"- This quote brought to you by Assmasters Anonymous.
*DAMN Hazard
God bless the freaks

Where is the knowledge we lost with information?

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »

I killed Scott Kevill we had old B&G beef

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
~ Einstein
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads