*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 03:44:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  Gaming (All your Gaming needs are here!)
| | |-+  *DAMN Mod Section (Moderators: *DAMN Mauti, jn.loudnotes, Toby, Casper, BFG)
| | | |-+  Playing Mods Online
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Playing Mods Online  (Read 935 times)
westamastaflash

« on: November 13, 2003, 09:45:50 am »

Hey all, newb at these forums but longtime GameRanger GR player.

I downloaded some of those Map Packs from the DAMN website but playing them with others on gameranger is a pain, because often they aren't packaged well and if I want to play, say, the park and bank i need to activate 2 seperate mods, then make sure everyone on gameranger has the proper mods too - and most don't want to undergo the time and pain to go download everything. I'm getting pretty tired of mbc, vil, tank, swamp, etc etc.

I thought about this, and figured that perhaps the easiest way to distribute these maps is through Mac OS X Packages / Installers. The basic idea would be that the installer contains a complied mod containing the various map downloads from DAMN (with proper credit given to the creators, including readmes and links as given) and would enable even the most basic mac user and GR player to download the installer, and follow instructions on installing it. I wouldn't want to include maps that require island thunder (as i don't have it yet), but perhaps those could go in a separate installer.

I'd like to include the CGT Bunker Park and Snipe maps, but there are some non working RSB's in these and I don't have a PC to edit them on.

The pack itself would contain:
The contents of Mappacks S1-S3:
   Milita Compound
   Mercenary Facility
   Olsen's Estate
   Dressler's Estate
   Warehouse
   Weapon Factory
   Diamond Mine
   Corporate HQ
   Bank
   Prison
   Reservoir
   TV Station
Some contents of the Platoon Community MapPack:
   The Crypt
   De_Dust
   The Market (4 versions)
   The Park
   Shadow Valley
   Shallow Creek
Some contents of the MLP Mappack
   Killhouse
   Stalkyard I & II
   Castle

Also:
City Street Large
The Fishing Hole
New York City
The Lost Mountain

for all these maps it'd be about a 200-300 MB download (archived packages give about 3:1 compression)m and a 600 MB expanded install.

The maps could be prefixed with say, MacMPXX - Name, or some such, so if the user has the originals installed they don't get overwritten.

A drawback here with using the PAX format and OS X installers is that OS 9 would no longer be supported.

I've tried out some of these maps and they're really nice, but we always seem to be playing embassy online. New maps would bring a change.

Let me know what the forum thinks of this idea, flames / encouragement welcome.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads