*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:34:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking forward for the Raven Shield Community  (Read 1055 times)
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« on: July 25, 2005, 11:23:45 am »

After the upheaval of events in the last day i wanted to post something separate about the situation. A lot of what was needed to be said was said in the original thread but there is a important issue i think people need to address and thats the 'looking forward' part.

I don't want one individuals actions regarding cheating to drag the rest of the community down, and i would hate to feel that because we have caught one person people will begin to doubt everybody else, every lucky shot, every bit of crap that we all suffer thanks to the joys of the dodgey web, tasty pings, and a game that is far from perfect! We really do believe that the percentage of people who have used hacks is a fraction of what the general community may feel it is. And that fraction of players can and as we have just demonstrated will be caught.

There is a fantastic community of Raven Shield players which is thriving more so than i have seen since the regular (SiX) server. With the help of Lee Harvey's Server there is a almost constantly filled 16 man server in which i and many others continue to have great fun in. There are some fantastic players, some not so good players, and some new guys who come from Single player games and get a nasty shock! Wink

Rather than seeing the recent events as the demise of the game for many people i would like to say this - rather than suggesting that the game is infested with cheating players what i hope people will take from this is that the game is getting cleaner; those who have used hacks are being caught, and those who are tempted by them should know by recent events that it really isn't worth the risk - not only to yourself but also to your clan (if you are a clan member), but also more importantly to the respect and survival of the community and every player you compete against and respects the skills you genuinely demonstrate, and the enjoyment from good competition.

While there maybe others, if the community desolves into random accusations of cheating then the thing we are fighting so strongly to protect will be destroyed. There are great players out there, and there are problems which make things feel like crap when your playing and quite rightly demand the response when playing of "Oh BS" Wink Unfounded inaccurate accusations are massively detrimental to the community and individuals. That is not to say however that there are members of the community who will continue to strive to maintain the most enjoyable fair and level gaming table for us all to compete on.

And now ive forgoten the other thing i was going to say so i'll call it quits. catch u guys later  Smiley

Thanks

Bfg

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BTs_Lee.Harvey
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Evill: Don't make me smack you.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 12:32:43 pm »

BTW.. i just got informed today that the new antiu hack will be outsoon.... the one we will releace to the comunity... its one that has to be installed on t he host and the clients..... if its not installed in the clients then you can jointhe server but will be kicked soon after automaticaly. look for it soon.... after beta testing is done.. it will be required to play in my server so i can host a COMPLEAT HACK FREE GAME!!!!!

Djing isn't realy about celebrity, or money, or getting laid, it's about music. Music is what motivates the finest DJ's:they love it, they live for it.
(SiX)Sheixhundt
Forum Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 03:57:27 pm »

I absolutely want to follow up on BFGs much needed clarification of what we are trying to accomplish. He made a point that i regretfully was unable to make due to space..yes I know..i am afflicted with verbal diarreah.

That point is, that the main reason we made this public, instead of privately confronting Typhy, was to demonstrate our commitment to the game, and protection of it, and show our willingness to take reasonable and OBJECTIVE and thorough efforts at catching and punishing cheaters. 

We realized that a secondary symptom of catching one cheater very publicly, was to inject some further paranoia into the game. This was heavily discussed, and concluded that this public outing was a necessary evil.

That said, i want to clarify a few things.

1. The VAST majority of players are clean, and in no way should you assume that the game is completely overrun with cheating. Yes, there are cheaters, and just because they haven't met the spotlight like Typhy, doesn't mean they haven't been seen..or taped. Those cheating publicly are taking a tremendous risk to their reputations and that of their associates. I also have great hope for the impending release of a more thorough anti-hack, so if it comes, install it, and come play... (oh, and for the record, BFG and I are not the only ones taping suspicious gun behavior  -please dont end up on tape, please.)

2. the VAST majority of unusual situations and seemingly impossible situations are 100% explainable to Bone vectors, Ping, luck, and normal internet randomness. Most times, players are not exactly where you see them onscreen, and it truly is as simple as that.  When i say VAST, i mean it...99% of the crazy things that you may experience or witness fall into that category. Please understand the wildy varying variables in the internet play of this game, and while I wont ask you to accept all of the bullshit you witness or fall victim to, I will ask you to chalk most of it up to random and glitchy occurences.  You may feel like saying 'BULLLLSHIT"..but I am here here to ask that instead you start to try to say mentally or in chat ..."NUTS!, or MONKEEBALLZ! or WHOOPS!  or something similarly Humorous instead. Lets make death funny again!!
Sounds weak, I know, but totally valid and applicable.
I honestly feel that if we all make the symbolic effort to change the tone, a true change of tone will take place.
I am practicing what I preach here because im guilty of this as well...Im TRYING, I really am.. I am doing my dead level best to lighten up a bit..meet me halfway on this.

3. In light of what has occurred here, I am going to further set an extremely high standard for what I as a player or admin will accept as an accusation of hacking. And although I am stating it here before speaking with Harvey, as a matter of respect to players who for now are assumed to be clean..i will not tolerate unfounded accusations. If you have concerns, you are encouraged to register with the BT site and express your concerns PRIVATELY there.  To accomplish what we are attempting here, despite the temptation otherwise, i will not tolerate unfounded hinting, accusing, (direct or otherwise) INGAME that a player is unclean. On such accusations, i will issue ONE warning, second offense in any game, and you leave. Simple as that. Lets all work to make this a fun thing again, and not a distrustful one. 

This absolutely includes and applies to former and current members of MP5. While I cannot stop anyone from making jokes or comments about Typhy, i personally will not accept disparaging comments toward, Myst, Maniac, Snipe, Grape, MesaBoogie  or anyone else related to MP5. They deserve decency and respect and have already and will continue to pay the price for Typhy's behavior. I am working off the 'Benefit of the Doubt" theory here, please respect that. I personally will kick on the FIRST offence, for undue bulldogging of any of the said players, and any i may have forgotten. This is fair. They have not been accused nor has proof been submitted that they are unclean (Filthy, dirty, pirate whores mb, but not cheaters). I am making a personal policy to crack down on these unfounded accusations or personal abuse. They deserve to feel that they can come to Harveys to have FUN. I give them my word on this. I can place myself in these member's place, and under the ASSUMPTION that they were not aware and have been let down by Typhy, and will ask that you publicly respect that assumption.

4. Cheating is not a joke, nor is it funny. (Really people, the jokes have all been made, you will not be original with your hack reference when you say them ingame.)  Over the last two days i have heard them all..and they are sort of getting tired. i personally as an admin will ask that you refrain from joking about the matter, although yes, sometimes its funny, but overall, does nothing to advance the underlying goal of FUN. I ask that you refrain from making hack jokes in ANY AND ALL forms, and allow us to start to put these things behind us. As i said, the place for these thoughts, is PRIVATELY in the BTS site or feel free to share your thoughts as a registered member in the DAMN forums. That is where that discussions belong...not in your game or the games of others who are coming in to blow off some steam..and kill shit.

I will issue one warning and, one only, for these comments, and on the second offense, I will remove you from the server. I know I'm asking alot, (and will likely be perceived as an asshole for kicks relating to this) but this has been a big deal, but truly its not funny, and as we said, we have a goal in mind, and that goal is to remove HACKING from our everyday vocabulary when thinking about this game.

So if, in the coming days, i remove some players, know two things..I am doing this so we can all feel like the game is FUN again, and that those players are of course, welcome back!! , provided they make an attempt to respect the server request, and understand why i am doing it. (Its more a 'Nun and her giant ruler' type of thing, instead of something more serious- so if i have to kick you , dont take it too awfully serious, (as if you had just been smacked on the hand by a smelly old nun and her ruler of righteousness )   I apologize in advance if I have to remove someone (or YOU) for two minutes for joking about it, but in the long run, i PROMISE the game will be more fun, and perhaps we'll see the welcome return of  the 'GG' into the game chat.
I really do miss seeing that. I'll do my best to say it more as well.

Have a great day, and i'll see you on the killing field.
 Sniper

I discovered why the buddha laughs.
The truth is so horrifying, it's funny.
crypt
God bless the freaks

Do or Die

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 08:31:26 pm »

You know another thing that might help out a good bit? Lets not make such a huge deal about it when someone gets caught. I mean I thought it was actually funny to watch some of the replies yesterday that I actually looked forward to coming back to the forums and reading it. If it's a little more subtle, say a post, ban all that hoopla, then it'll be easier and less stressful to do so.

Just an idea. I know that someone as key to the community as Typhy as far as competition wise was important (err, until we found out the truth), so that's understandable.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Unfortunately, most of them go hand in hand.
spike
*DAMN Supporter
God bless the freaks

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:37:44 pm »

Typhy was an example. im sure further offences by other people will be treated quietly, but just as harshly.

<<Evill is now known as Evill.aHa!>>

Let the Hump never die...

Retired into WoW:
- noripcord 60 warrior -
- server stormrage -
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:46:58 pm »

Understandable Crypt let me try and explain why we did.

The big deal is half of the weapon. We want people to know that if we catch them this is what they face - compete and utter public humiliation and system wide banning from *DAMN, RvS servers and quite possibly Game-ranger. If we had gone said to Typhy quietly one day "we got you cheating, your banned sonny" we arn't drumming it into the heads of other players that might be tempted to cheat that this is what will happen. Imagine this as the Stocks from medieval times - half of the action is to punish the crime, the other half acts as a deterrent. that is why. 

Obviously regarding Typhy things have been more significant because of his comments on these forums regarding Cheating etc and him being a leader/co leader of a significant RvS clan.

I can't say i found any of this very funny, but i hope this explains why we did what we did, and the logic behind it.

I hope very much this will be the first and last time we have to take these actions. I would much rather have done this big 'hoopla' now and know that there will be no more, than have done something quietly and had to keep on facing these cheaters and applying these bans.

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads