*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:53:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DAMN: Mac Community Site or Mac Community Forum?  (Read 7401 times)
Dark uk

« on: January 22, 2005, 11:05:42 pm »

Hi there,

I have just come to offer some constructive suggestions so flames arn't welcome.

Speaking for myself the *DAMN site has lost alot of appeal to me, sure the forum is great and full of life but I find the site as just a frontpage more than somewhere I can go to hear news about the community. What I'm suggesting is that you update it abit more often etc.

Here are some suggestions:
  • Interviews (This could include established clan leaders or general helpers to the community)
  • Scheduled events (themed gaming nights eg. R6, RS, GHR, BF1942 etc)
  • Reviews (I know this is meant to be a site dedicated to Clancy but it dos also support other games in its leagues but also instead of just reviewing games you could review other community/clan sites and mods.)
  • Competitions (from Desktop pics to user made videos to peoms make afew passive Competitions just for fun and a simple "Congrats" or *DAMN logo could go as a prize.)

I know these things would take time and effort and you could be pretty busy as it is but you could always advertise on the site for staff to do the reviews, post the news etc. To me right now DAMN feels like its all about politics and power play which is probly why some people have spun off to try and form their own leagues or Gaming site, I think considering some of these things could help the site feel more fun and intouch with the community. So anyway just afew suggestions that I hope you think about.

[01] Dark uk,
Hopeing to help put the 'unity' back in the DAMN Community.

EDIT: Sorry didnt see the suggestions forum.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 11:26:03 pm by Dark uk » Logged
BTs_GhostSniper
*DAMN Supporter ][ *DAMN Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:19:27 pm »

Hey, I can do a monthly quiz.  I kinda miss doing them.  Since I can't be a Battle League admin, or a General Gossip admin, maybe Mauti would make me an admin over my very own "GhostSniper's Quizes" section of the forum.   Grin

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
Dark uk

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 11:24:27 pm »

Good to see a postive response, a quiz would be a good start although I could see some motivation might be required Wink . I know you used to give away premium but I doubt you'd do that every month.
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 11:28:39 pm »

Good to see a postive response, a quiz would be a good start although I could see some motivation might be required Wink . I know you used to give away premium but I doubt you'd do that every month.

Actually, I did it nearly every month until Evill put a stop to it.  He told me he didn't want me giving away Premium Accounts anymore because he thought it might make some people not upgrade if they thought there was a chance of winning it.  I don't follow his line of reasoning, but hey, it's his service.  After that I gave away Games, iTunes Gift Certificates, etc.

Here is a list of all the quizes with the winner and what they won:

http://www.macgamingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

Civrock

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 11:31:55 pm »

just make it an option what the prize is and dont make the winner's choice public. the prize value, the winner can choose of, could be around $49.95... Wink i think many people would like that.

~Formerly known as "Civic"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/civrock
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 11:33:57 pm »

just make it an option what the prize is and dont make the winner's choice public. the prize value, the winner can choose of, could be around $49.95... Wink i think many people would like that.

I tried that too...he's tracking my credit card number.  So unless I use something else like paypal, he will know it was me.

Civrock

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 11:34:44 pm »

then use PayPal... Roll Eyes

Dark uk

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 11:35:04 pm »

Yeah that sounds great  Smiley. I$also$dont$follow$Evill's$line$of$reason$ but itunes Gift Certificates sound like a great (and very generous) idea.

EDIT: For the gaming night, you could have them around once a month and have a sign up list for everyone who is availabe to play. From there you can get voice coms organised if you dont have GR premium etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 11:50:26 pm by Dark uk » Logged
BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 11:47:53 pm »

then use PayPal... Roll Eyes

lol...considering my paypal account name starts with GhostSniper@..., I don't think that would work either.  But hey, I can always just send the winner $50 in cash and let him pay for his own account.  Wink

Civrock

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 11:58:49 pm »

well, the thing that probably makes it popular the most is that not many people have creditcards and therefore participate in your quizzes. by winning they can kinda use somebody elses card. i dont really think it's about the money itself.

Croosch
God bless the freaks

Absolute Lunacy

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 01:09:55 am »

I actually used to participate in your quizes because it gave me something to do on a boring summer day Grin Never did win in the 3 quizes I joined in on.

Unit iX • America's Army • [iX^]tox!c^1
• *nRg • Ghost Recon • *cO.krush •
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 11:48:36 am »

He told me he didn't want me giving away Premium Accounts anymore because he thought it might make some people not upgrade if they thought there was a chance of winning it.

Honestly? okay wish i could see the logic there... im sure everyone was thinking about not upgrading because they might win the quiz Wink

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 11:50:12 am »

Reviews (I know this is meant to be a site dedicated to Clancy but it dos also support other games in its

Well reviews and interviews are easy ones to do... there used to be a fair amount of them but it all faded out (in terms of mod reviews etc)  all we'd need was mauti happy to update it etc, and someone to keep an eye on quality control and content....

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »

Yes, yes blame it on me  Sniper

Dark, of course I would like to do the things you mentioned, but as always it's a question of time. Of course I could run *DAMN 24/7 like I would earn money with it, but at the moment I simple can't.

But I would be more than happy to post Interviews, reviews people are doing:

You can

a) write a review as forum post - and I gonna announce it in the main news and link to it from the articles section

or

b) send it me and I'll post it in the articles section

c) if I know you already I'll be happy to give you access to the *DBL news script and you can post news whenever you want to.

Bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
Civrock

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 03:37:25 pm »

Of course I could run *DAMN 24/7 like I would earn money with it, but at the moment I simple can't.

i'm telling you... find some sponsors and DO earn money with it! Wink Smiley seriously, this is an old and popular community with BattleLeague and there has to be somebody who wants to sponsor this. there are sites that are s*** compared to this but have very generous sponsors... Undecided

since we have our own server and domain now and dont have to use the gamespy banner anymore... what about offering that space to companies of your choice in exchange of sponsorship? the amount is up to the sponsor of course. Smiley

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 03:45:40 pm »

** ponders writing some reviews... **

Yeah thats all very well civic but we don't exactly want to turn *DAMN into a bill board. i agree it would be great if there was some money coming in to support Mauti and Elan and the time they put into this, but one of the great things about this site is the complete lack of ads...

just depends what shape or form it would take i guess

Civrock

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 03:57:26 pm »

of course not turn it into a "bill board" with blinking ads everywhere and all that... no way. but was the gamespy banner we had very annoying? it wasn't, imo. or what about the bar on the right side of the *DAMN mainnews? there's already a box with the title "Supported by". Smiley maybe even add another bar left of the news for very generous, but decent, sponsor ads... Roll Eyes

BTs_GhostSniper

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 06:40:46 pm »

I guess Mauti didn't like the idea of me having a special section for monthly quizes.[/size]  Sad

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 06:42:48 pm »

The idea is wonderful, just a bit less information like you would imagine it: just a subforum, a subpage from the main page, subpage from the main page that posts at the same time in the forum...You just say something about forum, but nothing specific.

Just feed me with more info of your idea, I prefer worked out ideas not just buzzwords ;-)

Bye,

Mauti
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 07:04:56 pm by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

since 13th June 2000
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 12:46:33 am »

So that you don't get me wrong - whoever comes to me with a good idea, full of dedication, saying hey Mauti, I have this and that idea, I would need this and this, update it approximately every week/month,... what do you think about it!

I don't want you to beg please Mauti please let me do this, what i want to see is that you are serious on it, not that it falls apart after 2 weeks again.

So present me your idea, how you would like to run it, what you need, and you are my girl or man. This community should be led by the community, input and output coming from the community. That's the way a community works, it helps each other. So I hope to hear from you soon.

Bye,

Mauti

since 13th June 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads