*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:33:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip (Moderators: Grifter, cookie, *DAMN Hazard, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | |-+  router help
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: router help  (Read 2912 times)
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

Respect: The most important thing you'll ever earn

« on: May 10, 2004, 05:31:12 pm »

ok, first the problem:

i have a net gear wireless router running airport extreme  last night, after universal plug and play was enabled i could not hold a connection or KDX or raven shield for longer 10-20 min.  i disabled the UPnP but  haven't tried again to hold a connection.   the question here is will that fix the problem?

also as an extra credit, we have replay tv and it occasionally connects to the 'net to get tv guide information.  it currently does not work unless the ip address is re leased (as in lease again)  we thought that  UPnP would fix it, but it seems to cause a different problem. any suggestions on how to get it to connect on it's own without making me lose my connection at random intervals?

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 07:41:35 pm »

Hey Brain,

I have my network set up the same way, going from my Linksys router to my Airport extreme, although my router is not wireless and I have never had any disconnecting problems, ever.

Funny, you mention this b/c last night my bro and I stayed up till 1:30am fixing our wireless network for 3 different laptops (1 iBook and 2 PBs) in the house at different areas of the house.  

First, you should know that we first repositioned the extreme base station towards the middle of the house, to get an increased range signal coverage.  Well, it did increase but some areas of the house, I was lucky to even get 2 bars filled, but never full (4 bar) signal strength.

So, we decided to buy 2 DLink Wireless Network Extenders, so I can increase the range of the radio signals to increase my coverage throughout the whole house inside and out. The price to buy another extreme base station was the same exact price as the 2 DLINKs, we decided to go with the DLINKs since we would cover a greater range with 2 instead of 1 base station.

Well, they worked.  But, one major problem.  Although the coverage had increased and the signal strength had gotten stronger (full 4 bars filled) it would NOT let me connect to the internet or be able to use any app that relies on the net to work, ie. iChat, GR, etc.  Didnt make any sense.  In the net confirguration, it would recognize the 2 DLINKs on the network, but it simply would not connect to the net.

After trying to figure it out for like 2 hours, we learned that the "new" units we bought needed to have its firmware updated, so I had to DL it from the DLink site, then PRESTO! it worked great!.

But, another major problem.  Although the coverage had increased and the signal strength was full strength, basically what I wanted, it would make me lose my connection at random intervals, like you Brain.  I would be using my laptop and all of a sudden, GR logs off and iChat disconnects. It was not stable at all.  It happend every 5min or so, began to piss me off.

After trying to figure what it was and try to fix it, by switching the configuration from 802.11G to B and then keeping it as G and B and then Fully Duplex etc etc etc, we noticed that the problem still persisted.

We decided to return the 2 DLINKS and get another extreme base station, at least we knew it would work for sure, we just would be reducing the coverage range.  But, then my bro KIROK had an idea, and we did the following.

So, the Solution now:  We decided to change 1 of the DLINK extenders from Repeater Mode (which simply amplifies the already exisiting signal from the base station, wirelessly) to an Access Point (AP).  Now, since you switch to make it an AP, you now need the DLINK unit to be harwired.  so I had to run an ethernet cable (50 feet) to half way in the house (upstairs), since our extreme base station is on one end of the house (upstairs).

The other DLINK exnteder was placed in my basement to get coverage in that part of my house.  Now, since we could not run a ethernet cable from the upstairs to basement (not feasible & we would need easy over 100 ft. and I dont know if they make them that long) we had to keep that DLINK configured as Repeater Mode and not AP like the other DLINK unit we changed.

Now, at first we realised that the DLINK in the basement might get some reception from the base station upstairs which is way on the other side of the house, so we configured the DLINK (the one in my basement) to ONLY get signal reception from the DLINK unit that was half way in my house that we configured to AP mode (upstairs).  We did this b/c the DLINK put as AP mode, was closer to the DLINK that I had in my basement, this would ensure that I would get full (4 bar) signal strength.

Well, it worked like a charm.  I have been running all 3 laptops wirelessly at full (4 bar) signal strength with absolutely no disconncetions, thus far.  Its only been one day now (May 10, 2004) so I will play around with it and see if the connection stays stable.

Xing my fingers.....

« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 08:07:34 am by |MP|Nomad » Logged

The King of Pistoleros
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 08:09:14 pm »

well, i hope that works for you nomad...

one more thing i forgot to mention. the signal level is 3/4 bars (or 10/15 depending if you look at internet connect) sometimes peaking to 4/4 & 12/15 so signal strength should not be an issue

"Engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance."  Dr. A. R. Dykes -1976
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 01:09:00 am »

Well its been couple days now, I am writing this post sitting on my porch with my PB on my lap and enjoying the freedom of wireless technology with the beautiful weather and the only thing thats missing, is a nice cold drinnk to go with it.  

The Dlinks, have not once crashed on me, its been stable as a teenage morning hard-on.  I am  currently showing 3 bars signal strength, hooah  Cheesy

The King of Pistoleros
dema
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 01:34:23 am »

one more thing i forgot to mention. the signal level is 3/4 bars (or 10/15 depending if you look at internet connect) sometimes peaking to 4/4 & 12/15 so signal strength should not be an issue

Happen to have any 2.4Ghz wireless phones? (;
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 08:10:06 am »

Happen to have any 2.4Ghz wireless phones? (;

Microwaves will do it too

The King of Pistoleros
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 11:51:47 am »

Just wondering if you'd had any joy with sorting your problem out Brain??

Was browsing some stuff on KDX and it sounded familier to the "15 minutes" problem you've been getting... might be worth a try Wink

I am having a lot of trouble staying connected. Every 15 minutes or so I get disconnected.

Go into Settings in KDX Client, and turn on the option "Regularly Ping Servers". Some routers (Linksys especially) seem to have problems with idle connections. The Ping option will create a small amount of regular traffic on the connection, keeping it alive. Note even if you are downloading a file, your main connection to the server could still be idle.

Actually reading it again makes it sound totally useless...didn't notice that it was other connectiions as well as kdx...

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Brain
*DAMN Staff
God bless the freaks

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »

well since you asked for an update, i suppose you can have one...

this is a typical game of CCG for me

approximately 10-20 min of play time pass
" ok here they come."
*nuke cannon fires*
"HAHAHAHAHAH! EAT THA....."
***DISCONNECTED***
"OMFG **** THIS ****"

so in other words, no i have not yet fixed the problem, even though i am now connected directly to the router via ethernet cable.  i am starting to think that this is a problem with the router it's self and am looking for another alternative to the current one i have. the current prospect is a linksys WRT54G.  
does anyone else have this router or a better alternative?  i also supposedly can get this off amazon for $78 and supposedly there is a $10 mail in rebate is this a good price?  comments, suggestions, i'm open for input here people

on a side note, i no longer get disconnected form kdx servers, but DCC connections are only active for 20 min tops (i enabled the ping server option)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:28:06 pm by Brain » Logged

Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 02:26:08 pm »

Not to mention that Brain keeps getting disconnected even if he's gaming or using VoIP. "Regular traffic" is taken care of. : D

Of course, that still leaves the question of what the hell is causing the problem.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
kos.viper
Forum Whore

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 04:47:53 pm »

I would get rid of the netgear, ew.

kos.viper
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Brain 7
The box said "requires Windows 98 or better"... so I bought a Mac.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 06:03:05 pm »

1. take the lid of your router.

2. Locate the tiny little man hiding inside who has cut one of the wires and every ten minutes breaks the connection because he thinks its funny

3. Remove the tiny little man

4. Jump up and down firmly on the little man untill he resembles a pancake (u call them waffles or somthing)

5. re-attach the lid of your router.

BTs_GhostSniper
God save the Royal Whorealots

SUA SPONTE

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 06:09:18 pm »

3. Remove the tiny little man

We call him a "Gremlin"  Wink

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."

-General of the Army Douglas MacArthur
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 07:05:39 pm »

Id just call him a freaking pain in the ass Wink

I give up... its the weirdest thing it really is.

|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 11:45:15 pm »

Just wondering if you'd had any joy with sorting your problem out Brain??

Was browsing some stuff on KDX and it sounded familier to the "15 minutes" problem you've been getting... might be worth a try Wink

I am having a lot of trouble staying connected. Every 15 minutes or so I get disconnected.

Go into Settings in KDX Client, and turn on the option "Regularly Ping Servers". Some routers (Linksys especially) seem to have problems with idle connections. The Ping option will create a small amount of regular traffic on the connection, keeping it alive. Note even if you are downloading a file, your main connection to the server could still be idle.

Actually reading it again makes it sound totally useless...didn't notice that it was other connectiions as well as kdx...

Hey BFG,

Where did u get this quote on KDX?  Is this to to help reduce disconnections from KDX or the net (or net run apps) in general?  

I have a Linksys router (non-wireless as mentioned above) and I get disconnected I would say 1-2x per day.  Mainly during middle of night, so its not a big deal.  Although, it happend to me once while I was playing MP CoD.

What I tend to do is simply (via menu bar) turn off the airport and turn it back on.  Takes seconds literally.  Although, I must say that occasionally I notice that when I get disconnected, the above solution doesn't always apply (it does 95% of the time), on these occasions I have to reboot my mac, and everything seems fine.

So I have enabled this KDX setting and am curious to see what happens. Thanks for the input.

The King of Pistoleros
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 02:19:19 am »

Hey Nomad, That bit of info was of the Haxial site... now i wish i could remember where but i can't sorry... probably in FaQ or support or summit! Yeah the idea is that a very small ammount of data just keeps the line alive to make sure that nothing thinks your inactive and drops the connection... well hope it does the trick for ya Smiley

ps....
while i was playing MP CoD
Oh boy... i am so envious!

The Golden Shark

hehehe my picture is funny.........

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 08:02:59 am »

maybe i am not reading it right but.... are all of yo guys talking about connecting a router to another router? that might be your problem. try an ethernet hub, and then your airport, or whatever. ( unless talking about the DLink extenders...) im not much help with this. All i know is that i have had a Linksys router connected via 50ft cable. never been disconnected once. and i haven't experienced any lagging as a result of the cord length either.

And the Lord said, "Let there be G5!", and there was G5, and it was good. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to Steve Jobs. And Steve Jobs saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. On the second day, Steve Jobs drove Wintel from the garden of NASDAQ in a fury -- f
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 08:35:57 am »

All i know is that i have had a Linksys router connected via 50ft cable. never been disconnected once. and i haven't experienced any lagging as a result of the cord length either.

And you won't b/c yer hardwired.  Now, if you were using a wireless router, that a diff. story.

The King of Pistoleros
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads