*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:19:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132954 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
Poll
Question: After using wireless networking did you go back?
Yes, I went back to wired. - 3 (20%)
No, wireless is fine. - 5 (33.3%)
I've always been wired - 6 (40%)
I don't have a network. - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wireless networking then back to wired. (How about you?)  (Read 4475 times)
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« on: February 12, 2005, 12:51:00 am »

So recently I had been using wireless airport, which mind you is (through a wall) 6 feet away. The network was very unstable and was very quick to go down if some wireless phones were used. So tonight (5 minutes ago) I went over to Staples Business Depot and bought a $39 (CDN) wired router. Now it is very reliable, I have a proper DMZ hosting option, and overall it just feels faster. The Airport base station, unworthy of it's apple, now sits as a extension to that router for the powerbooks/iBooks.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I for one still think wireless has hope, perhaps when it reaches the "n" standard later this year. Time will tell.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:54:17 am »

I went entirly wireless for about 6 months, then moved back in as many locations as possible. I now have wireless to the top 2 floors of my house, and wired on the first and second floor. Wireless was far to unreliable for gaming, and seemed to cause incredible delay on Netfone.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
bronto
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:59:32 am »

i have a very fast reliable cable connection, i mean really really fast, i think they forgot to cap us. anyway, have a wireless/wired router that is supposed to give the same speed to all connections. wired comps get same fast speed, wireless is down to farty dsl. that's enough to hate it.
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 02:28:50 pm »

It just depends what you use/need it for. Ive got this house wired and i wouldn't swap it just for Airport - i want the cleanest and most reliable connection possible and for the forseeable future thats a good old wire.

That said there is nothing nicer than to go and work in the garden, or just in a different part of the house to surf the net etc, so i wouldn't complain to having wireless for the laptop

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Brutha
Forum Whore

Assumption is the brother of all fuck ups

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 04:04:47 pm »

Our fellow clan member, :MoD: Buddha thinsk wireless is the way to go(he says he likes reading the news in bed...news???)

Act beautifully, not dutyfully!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 04:09:42 pm »

what buddha really means he likes to be able to Download p0rn in bed because he's such a lazy bum he can't be bothered to get out of bed to get it! Wink

the Netfone/voice and game lag would be on account of the higher latency of wireless i assume?

Croosch
God bless the freaks

Absolute Lunacy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 04:33:23 pm »

I've been using wirless for ooooo, two years now... and it's been running great, I've had the occasional airport crash but that always seems to come at times when nobody is on the computer anyways.

• Unit iX • America's Army • [iX^]tox!c^1 •
• *nRg • Ghost Recon • *cO.krush •
buddha

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 05:51:18 pm »

I love my wireless.
And since the internet connection at home is dreadfully slow, 800 something down and 128 up I have no probs with it. I have yet to download pr0n on my bed, but reading news and mail as soon as I wake up is kind of addictive. Pron needs a faster connection than we have.

as for gaming I have yet to try some serious wireless gaming. I've tried a couple of times and I've not had any big problems with it.But then I've not tried with KDX on the side.
|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 01:53:34 pm »

So recently I had been using wireless airport, which mind you is (through a wall) 6 feet away. The network was very unstable and was very quick to go down if some wireless phones were used. So tonight (5 minutes ago) I went over to Staples Business Depot and bought a $39 (CDN) wired router. Now it is very reliable, I have a proper DMZ hosting option, and overall it just feels faster. The Airport base station, unworthy of it's apple, now sits as a extension to that router for the powerbooks/iBooks.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I for one still think wireless has hope, perhaps when it reaches the "n" standard later this year. Time will tell.

I always game and do other stuff (except online banking) wirelessly.  I also have a fast net connection, 5 Down and 800k up.  This very topic was discussde a long time ago, I took the time to dig up my past post on wireless routers and how crap they are compared to wired ones and how good ABS and network extenders are.  You can read about it here.

The King of Pistoleros
*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 02:00:14 pm »

I use a mixture of both: I have connected my iMac, which is my server, with my powerbook via FireWire Network, this option allows me to use the iMac HD as it would be a built in 3.5 HD. Blazing fast and reliable.

If Elandrion comes to my place he often connects to me via Airport, activated on my Powerbook. All in all I really like wireless for internet stuff for most other things it's still a bit slow, especially compared to a Giganet or FireWire network.

bye,

Mauti

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
*DAMN Elandrion
Global Moderator
Forum Whore

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 02:27:41 pm »

i've always had a cable bound network, but when Cyr and me got PB's, we decided to add an airport bas station. As airport is quite slow compared to the 100MBit ethernet, and wireless reception is very bad in our old house, we don't use it often.

Elan

*DAMN Elandrion - another *DAMN Austrian!
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 12:13:51 am »

FireWire Network

U lost me there... um do you mean using a comp/laptop as a external HD over firewire? i don't think u do but i've never heeard of firewire networks before!!

*DAMN Mauti
Webmaster

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 12:35:03 am »

Apple has this feature since jaguar. You can activate firewire network in your network options(just click network configuration and activate firewire networking) You can do circular or in a line networks. Just plug all your computers together via firewire cables. It's running the same way as Ethernet only that it runs at full 400Mbit per second. So you can edit your videos, etc. very well in a network on other harddisks without dropping frames. I even have my camcorder only connected to my server but use it for my powerbook. The only disadvantage is that it is difficult to get very long firewire cables. I have a 5metres one for 6 Euro. I think 10metres was the longest they had at my store, but may there are even longer ones..

Bye,

Mauti
ps: further if you press T while you boot a Mac it goes into Firewire Target Disk mode. Then it appears just as any other extern firewire HD on your other firewire connected Mac!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 12:39:37 am by *DAMN Mauti » Logged

*DAMN: One Worldwide Gaming Community
since 13th June 2000
www.damnr6.com | army.damnr6.com
10 last played songs - CLICK ME!
th.Sentinel

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 02:07:56 pm »

I always used a wire to game, but I love my airport cause it lets me surf and chat while sitting downstairs watching television.  Grin

My G5, G3 and aiport basestation are connected by a switch to the internet (cause I get 4 dynamic IPs from my ISP). Then my G3 (which is used as the toxic kdx-server) is connected with a Firewire cable to my G5. My G5 has airport so I can connect to the aiport network as well. So does my iBook.
The aiport is connected with a wire to another switch, which connects my iMac and all the other computers to my network. Cool

+    + +    ++[+] +     ++[+]
seth
Forum Whore

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 09:51:50 pm »

Instead of a book, i take the PB to the restroom. Wireless is nice  clapping hands

OMG another 4 years !!!
Typhy

Woot

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 02:30:52 am »

Instead of a book, i take the PB to the restroom. Wireless is nice  clapping hands

I've done this a few times.

"Work is punishment for failing to procrastinate effectively." - National Association of Procrastinators<br /><br />Kerry & Edwards in 04' <br />Knowles for US Senate
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 03:00:05 am »

I brought my G5 a few times... was a bit warm... but woo airport.

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads