*DAMN R6
.:Navigation:| Home | Battle League | Forum | Mac Downloads | PC Downloads | Cocobolo Mods |:.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:14:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
One Worldwide Gaming Community since 13th June 2000
132953 Posts in 8693 Topics by 2294 Members
Latest Member: xoclipse2020
* Home Help Search Login Register
 Ads
+  *DAMN R6 Forum
|-+  *DAMN R6 Community
| |-+  General Gossip
| | |-+  Tech Talk (Moderators: *DAMN Hazard, Civrock, c| Lone-Wolf, BTs_GhostSniper)
| | | |-+  Leopard Features
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leopard Features  (Read 6275 times)
Monoman
BL Staff

Oh Canada!!

« on: August 06, 2006, 03:44:09 am »

Here is a list of some of the new features that are suppose to be unveiled at the WWDC keynote.

Leopard Features

Kansas....Like Paris Hilton: White, Flat, and Easy to Enter.  -- Conan O'Brien

Masturbation is like procrastination, they're both great until you realize your screwing yourself.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff
God save the Royal Whorealots

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:23:58 am »

Pure tripe. When will the powerpage just die?

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
Mysterio is a registered trademark of Myster
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

Mr.Chuckles the Nipple Monkey

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:04:01 pm »

haha half that stuff is complete ball bags, and half of it is written to sound like its giving you lots of info, while saying absolutly nothing!

"You cant fight in here gentlemen, this is the war room!"
AA:MoD
Cobra

Slap ma fro!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:49:46 pm »

Man, after reading that, I'm really psyched to get my hands on Leopard!

iChat 4.0:
- Different layout, quite hard to explain, but better.
Yeah, don't worry about it, I believe you.

QuickTime 7.2:
- Some other minor inclusions
Nice.  Looking forward to it!

iCal 3.0:
- Brilliant new UI
Really?  Brilliant?  Just kind of in general?  I know I'll love it.

I wonder where they got these?

If you don't like the way I drive, get off the damn sidewalk!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 01:35:21 am »

Why did Apple subpoena this guy again?

"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn how to smile as you kill"
John Lennon
Only suits they'll be wearing are body bags. • Your trial will be held at the city morgue. • I'll return your gun, one bullet at a time.
juggler

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:46:24 am »

mb because what hes saying is true.
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:36:43 am »

I don't think it takes a leaker to guess that there's going to be "brilliant new UI"s.

John Lennon
KGB

what's going on

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 06:35:17 pm »

clapping hands

BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 07:50:43 pm »

The real features... well Timewarp holy shit that sounds the freaking business! - god that rigged up to the xserve is going to make a lovley realtime'ish backup system

- and vitual desktops but with the apple twist! Cheesy

- holy shit i can't keep up with this WWDC there is so so much new stuff going down. Just looking at the new ability to create widgets - to turn anything you want into your own widget is increadable - bits of a webpage or whatever, the tight integreation of mail ical and the dev of notes etc all looks great!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:19:05 pm by BFG » Logged

|MP|Nomad
Forum Whore

Go Apple!!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 11:38:19 pm »

Ok, maybe I will be the first one to say it (well re-say it that is, as this has been mentioned here before), I'm sure Evill will now make a widget for GR.  It would be cool.

The King of Pistoleros
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 07:27:06 am »

The best part of this keynote; the 'best' features are still "Top Secret."

John Lennon
:MoD:Shade
God bless the freaks

Mojo-Jojo!

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:50:42 pm »

Timewarp, if it can re-save lost photos, projects ect. that must mean that it's still on the HDD . . which means it's still taking up space . . still not gone?

NiKLoT

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 04:37:48 pm »

hmm i asked me the same question.. but well holy shit leopard + mac pro wow this is gonna own, cant wait for it ive been saving money for this since my last birthday together with my bro(makes about 8 month) wooot!!
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 05:21:49 pm »

Apple didn't speak much about the TimeWarp backend; perhaps there's something radical here.

John Lennon
Mr. Lothario
Special Forces
God bless the freaks

Suck mah nuts.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 06:25:24 pm »

According to the info on the Leopard Sneak Peek site on apple.com, Time Machine is basically doing diffs. That is, it only tracks what changes. I have no doubt it eats up a fair bit of storage space, which is one reason they only talk about doing it on an external drive (another is that it does no good to back up to the same drive because if the drive fails, both the original and the backup are lost), but I would assume they're encrypting and compressing the data in the backup vault. Between compression and diffs, it should be fairly small.

"How is the world ruled and how do wars start? Diplomats tell lies to journalists and then believe what they read." - 19th-century Austrian press critic Karl Kraus

Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'". -- Schlock Mercenary
BTs_Mysterio
BL Staff

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 08:31:51 pm »

What about one of the 4 internal bays... those drawer are almost a slick as the ram slots . My question is can you "suspend a file in time" assuming they offer compression.

John Lennon
BFG
Global Moderator
Emperor of Spamness

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 10:52:20 pm »

When you 'delete' something from your drive you don't actually 'erase' the media. What the computer does is basically note down that if it needs to write media to the drive it can write over the media that you've just deleted. - so when you delete an item what you are actually doing is just adjusting the permissions allowing the data to be written over.

If you think about it to actually 'delete' media from a HD you write over it - there is no removal just a replacment of the media.

So taking this theory you can start to see the ways in which Timewarp can work - however id love to know more about it as obviously you would think that you'd need very large drives with a lot of free space.

- I'll bet my bottom dollar that if you 'secure delete' an item then timewarp cannot retrieve it - simply because the secure delete feature physically writes a series of random datat (10101110110011 etc) over that portion of the drive.

that is of course unless Timewarp is backing up your entire drive to another device and then copying it back in real time.. which going by the speed from the expo they much have had coming off fiber-channel or at least a SATA RAID ... and i can't help but think what use is it going to be for those of us with litterally TB's of Data?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:00:27 pm by BFG » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Ads